Recommended podcast apps?

jetillman

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm a new owner of a Nokia Lumia 920 who used to have an excellent experience with a HTC One X. Overall, the phone is great and I love the new tile format, but I am sincerely missing a decent podcast experience. The default Xbox podcast offering is convoluted and due to it's curated nature, I don't see the most recent daily podcasts until the day after, which makes it unusable.
I've also tried Podcasts! and Slapdash. A few other options I've tried but I get the same lackluster results.

Slashdash
While the later is usable, it's still not perfect and doesn't have podcasts like the Wall Street Journal this morning. Even when I copy in the URL of the off-catalog podcasts, it gives me an "unavailable" message. One big downside is that if I stop listening to a podcast on Slapdash, it gets rid of my downloaded version and has me redownload it. It eats up my data doing this over an over. Not a great experience.

Podcasts!
This is unusable for me as it crashes a lot and doesn't have a lot of the podcasts that I use.

Anyone have a recommendation of something that would work in Windows 8 without crashing and has a wide selection of podcasts to choose from? My quality bar is quite low right now and I am running out of options.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Podcasts! Pro allows you to add podcasts from an RSS feed. I only use it when I need a podcast quickly as the Windows Marketplace doesn't seem to refresh until the next day. It needs to be updated for WP8 though, having some problems with download episodes lately.

Unfortunately the best thing to do is wait until the next day to hear your podcasts, until MS works out a better solution or allows developers more access to things like auto download and such.

Eric Immerman

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately the best thing to do is wait until the next day to hear your podcasts...

Come on. That is not really a solution. There are many time sensitive news Podcasts that I hate waiting until the next day to read. Heck, I can't be bothered to look at yesterday's newspaper let alone yesterdays news podcasts. I wonder why Microsoft is always a day behind?

cddigi

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I've just started using Podcast. It allows you to subscribe using and RSS feed or have your own list with an opml file. I was using Xbox Music for my podcasts, but it wants to take its sweet time in updating them. Episodes are taking over 12 hours to show up after they have been updated in their RSS feed.

cddigi

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Podcast has been updated. An update a couple weeks ago broke it on WP8, but it's fixed now. It's very basic, but does exactly what it needs. It doesn't come with a catalog. You just add an RSS link and subscribe to it. Then you can either stream or download the podcast.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05