Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phasar View Post
    Maybe Samsung is waiting for windows to stabilize and update their OS, so that Samsung owners won't be stuck with a big, outdated, half-functioning device like the Lumia 920!
    Samsung is probably upset because Microsoft won't let them crap all over their OS with a jittering, lagging crapstastic skin like TouchWiz.

It looks like the low to mid range budget phones are dominating. Nokia has a lot more options in that range, so it makes sense that they're outselling the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    Nah, we don't want LG back, LOL.
    It's never a bad thing to have more manufacturers on board. By most accounts, the Nexus 4 is a great phone, at a crazy low price. If they make a WP like that then sign me up. That would be a great phone for anyone who buys off contract.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FinsUpDNC View Post
    or they can just copy it and call it their own. Samsung is good at that!

Nokia is the same Samsung is with Android, leading. HTC is 2nd on both platforms (if I'm not mistaking).
    I believe it's great for both (Nokia + Consumers). However I'd like Nokia to fuse with HTC (I know I'm over repeating). Best of bothworlds... Beats + Monster, Nokia's Design + HTC's Design, Nokia's updated + HTC's ... well I still want the fuse and I still think it would benefit them and us too.

Global Posts
    718 Global Posts
    I'm all for more choices. HTC has really changed their focus on WP with their newest phones. Their original hardware for WP is beautiful. Now if they could just make an 8X that's shorter and has a microSD slot, then they'll be racking up some nice sales (or not...I don't know...:P).
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ImAdrian23 View Post
    Nokia is the same Samsung is with Android, leading. HTC is 2nd on both platforms (if I'm not mistaking).
    I believe it's great for both (Nokia + Consumers). However I'd like Nokia to fuse with HTC (I know I'm over repeating). Best of bothworlds... Beats + Monster, Nokia's Design + HTC's Design, Nokia's updated + HTC's ... well I still want the fuse and I still think it would benefit them and us too.
    No thanks. HTC has nothing to offer Nokia.

Except for some advice on making slimmer, lighter phones. And the concept of actually making a phone available on its launch day. And making phones available on more networks without exclusivity contracts. And more competitive pricing outside the US.

Nokia fanboys, eh...
    1jaxstate1 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    If the 920 had a dedicated image processing chip, you don't think that would possibly eliminate some of the issues we have with software processing softening images? Dedicated hardware is almost always better than software. The Dolby EQ on the 920 may or may not be better than Beats Audio on the 8X, but could amplifiers for the headphone jack and the speakers improve the sound quality? I bet they could. How about a higher quality FFC?

It hasn't hurt Apple :).
    ncxcstud likes this.

Global Posts
    1,004 Global Posts
    That chart does not surprise me at all. That is what happens when you make good products and support them.

I am not a Nokia fanboi. Though coming from a HTC Titan II, I am becoming a Nokia fan.
    Last edited by Squatting Hen; 12-04-2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: I can't spell
    snowmutt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kebero View Post
    @FredW3: you confused the 8X with the 8S.
    Oops.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Au contraire. Nokia is good at making really cheap, thick phones (like the L710) and really thick, heavy high-end phones (like the L920).

HTC has a good eye for design and makes some really nice, lightweight devices like the 8X. The Radar is also a far better device in build quality, aesthetics and capability than the 710... I was always amazed that anybody would buy the 710 when offered the Radar as an alternative.

If the 920 had a dedicated image processing chip, you don't think that would possibly eliminate some of the issues we have with software processing softening images? Dedicated hardware is almost always better than software. The Dolby EQ on the 920 may or may not be better than Beats Audio on the 8X, but could amplifiers for the headphone jack and the speakers improve the sound quality? I bet they could. How about a higher quality FFC?
    The Nokia 808 has a dedicated image processing chip. I wouldn't be surprised to see a dedicated chip in a Nokia Windows Phone offering in the near future. But it won't be because they got it from HTC.
    Thanked by:

I'll be honest here. I'd love if Nokia became the only WP OEM. Part of why Apple devices have been so solid is the tight control of hardware by the company. I think that , given lackluster commitment from other partners, moving the platform to a Surface brand powered by Nokia could be just the thing MS needs.
    Microsoft is keeping pretty tight controls on WP8. Microsoft gives you only 4 screen resolutions, did not allow for dual core support or SD cards in WP7.5, ect. Hopefully this can keep the OS stable and solid. If done properly, it will also mean that MS can send updates directly and without modifications based on the hardware. Android allowed anyone to update the OS, and hopefully MS will learn from the mistake.

But I do like having options for the hardware. HTC has some real advantages over Nokia, and I am sure Samsung will have some too. I still think I will stick with Nokia, at least for now. The phone looks different from the other phones out there.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Au contraire. Nokia is good at making really cheap, thick phones (like the L710) and really thick, heavy high-end phones (like the L920).

HTC has a good eye for design and makes some really nice, lightweight devices like the 8X. The Radar is also a far better device in build quality, aesthetics and capability than the 710... I was always amazed that anybody would buy the 710 when offered the Radar as an alternative.
    Building a lighter phone isn't some kind of remarkable technological advance. Nokia could use thinner, lighter plastics if they wanted to. They simply choose not to.

HTC has made contributions, but in the history of the cell phone, Nokia is far more significant for what they've done. Nokia was innovating in cell phone design 10-15 years before HTC even existed as a company.
    Thanked by:
    snowmutt likes this.

Building a lighter phone isn't some kind of remarkable technological advance. Nokia could use thinner, lighter plastics if they wanted to. They simply choose not to.

HTC has made contributions, but in the history of the cell phone, Nokia is far more significant for what they've done. Nokia was innovating in cell phone design 10-15 years before HTC even existed as a company.
    Yes. If the L920 didn't have built-in wireless charging and as large of a battery, or the OIS (which takes up space), the L920 could easily be lighter and slimmer.

That being said, people are really exaggerating the thickness and weight of the phone (weight less so). Yes, relatively speaking, it is heavier than competitors. But from a practical standpoint, in the time I've had the L920, I've never thought: "Man, I wish this phone wasn't so heavy."

When I was trying to take pictures on the beaches of Florida, there were high winds, easily 20-30 mph. If the phone had been lighter, I suspect it would have been much harder to keep the phone stable.

This is my reply to everyone criticizing the weight of the L920. :D

Thanked by:

If the extra 1.9 ounces of wieght are going to cause your back to go out, then by all means buy the HTC. Or if the extra .03 inches (yes, that is 3/100 of an inch) won't fit where you need the phone to go, then buy the HTC. The HTC is not a bad phone, but the hoopla over the 'thick and heavy' 920 is ridiculous. Take a look at the specs.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    Other OEMs need to step it up.

Nokia is doing it right.
    agreed...If the OEMs want a larger slice of the pie they need to offer something more innovative, better design aesthetics or more distinctive features. I don't think the platform suffers because one manufacturer dominates. (i.e. Apple) I think WP8 would get even better if MS released their own rumored phone
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shinygerbil View Post
    Except for some advice on making slimmer, lighter phones. And the concept of actually making a phone available on its launch day. And making phones available on more networks without exclusivity contracts. And more competitive pricing outside the US.

Nokia fanboys, eh...
    Yeah, cause you could just go pick up a 8X anywhere on launch day.

HTC fanboys, eh

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    I have a 920, and while I like it, let's not kid ourselves and say that *relative to other devices on the market today that it is competing with*, it's thick and heavy.

Nokia could use some HTC design sense. Sorry. It's true.

Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    I have a 920, and while I like it, let's not kid ourselves and say that *relative to other devices on the market today that it is competing with*, it's thick and heavy.

Nokia could use some HTC design sense. Sorry. It's true.
    It's a different philospophy. And sales are showing that Nokia's philosophy isn't hurting them compared to HTC.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    As far as the 8X the only thing wrong with it to me is storage. If it had 32GB built in or an SD card slot I would have that phone instead of the 822.

Quote Originally Posted by stmav View Post
    Yeah, cause you could just go pick up a 8X anywhere on launch day.

HTC fanboys, eh
    Yes I could. And no, I am not a fanboy. Welcome to "making points on an internet forum" :)

I have a very hard time trusting stats so early in a product life cycle. I preordered my 8x and haven't even had it 2 weeks yet! Until this month Lumia was basically the only current WP available so they have a HUGE head start. Good for them, I hope hey do well, but owning an 8x I see no reason it won't be a great seller!
    snowmutt likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shinygerbil View Post
    Yes I could. And no, I am not a fanboy. Welcome to "making points on an internet forum" :)
    Good for you, but you couldn't everywhere on launch, which was one of your points against Nokia. But thank you and welcome to way to dodge your statement on an internet forum. :)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast