Interesting Windows Phone stats where Nokia dominates - bad thing or a very bad thing?

LikeWaah

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Building a lighter phone isn't some kind of remarkable technological advance. Nokia could use thinner, lighter plastics if they wanted to. They simply choose not to.

HTC has made contributions, but in the history of the cell phone, Nokia is far more significant for what they've done. Nokia was innovating in cell phone design 10-15 years before HTC even existed as a company.

Yes. If the L920 didn't have built-in wireless charging and as large of a battery, or the OIS (which takes up space), the L920 could easily be lighter and slimmer.

That being said, people are really exaggerating the thickness and weight of the phone (weight less so). Yes, relatively speaking, it is heavier than competitors. But from a practical standpoint, in the time I've had the L920, I've never thought: "Man, I wish this phone wasn't so heavy."

When I was trying to take pictures on the beaches of Florida, there were high winds, easily 20-30 mph. If the phone had been lighter, I suspect it would have been much harder to keep the phone stable.

This is my reply to everyone criticizing the weight of the L920. :D

FredW3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If the extra 1.9 ounces of wieght are going to cause your back to go out, then by all means buy the HTC. Or if the extra .03 inches (yes, that is 3/100 of an inch) won't fit where you need the phone to go, then buy the HTC. The HTC is not a bad phone, but the hoopla over the 'thick and heavy' 920 is ridiculous. Take a look at the specs.

theta orionis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Other OEMs need to step it up.

Nokia is doing it right.

agreed...If the OEMs want a larger slice of the pie they need to offer something more innovative, better design aesthetics or more distinctive features. I don't think the platform suffers because one manufacturer dominates. (i.e. Apple) I think WP8 would get even better if MS released their own rumored phone

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Except for some advice on making slimmer, lighter phones. And the concept of actually making a phone available on its launch day. And making phones available on more networks without exclusivity contracts. And more competitive pricing outside the US.

Nokia fanboys, eh...

Yeah, cause you could just go pick up a 8X anywhere on launch day.

HTC fanboys, eh

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a 920, and while I like it, let's not kid ourselves and say that *relative to other devices on the market today that it is competing with*, it's thick and heavy.

Nokia could use some HTC design sense. Sorry. It's true.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I have a 920, and while I like it, let's not kid ourselves and say that *relative to other devices on the market today that it is competing with*, it's thick and heavy.

Nokia could use some HTC design sense. Sorry. It's true.
It's a different philospophy. And sales are showing that Nokia's philosophy isn't hurting them compared to HTC.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
As far as the 8X the only thing wrong with it to me is storage. If it had 32GB built in or an SD card slot I would have that phone instead of the 822.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a very hard time trusting stats so early in a product life cycle. I preordered my 8x and haven't even had it 2 weeks yet! Until this month Lumia was basically the only current WP available so they have a HUGE head start. Good for them, I hope hey do well, but owning an 8x I see no reason it won't be a great seller!

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Yes I could. And no, I am not a ******. Welcome to "making points on an internet forum" :)

Good for you, but you couldn't everywhere on launch, which was one of your points against Nokia. But thank you and welcome to way to dodge your statement on an internet forum. :)

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If the 8x had 32 gigs of memory and was the same price off contract in the US, I would have bought it. But it was $150 more plus 1/2 the memory.

After having the Titan 2, I have to say it was the best phone I have ever owned. There is no better Mango Device made. It didn't have the problems the Lumia 900 had, and it just worked. Of course the original titan is a different story.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
First off, the important thing in this thread:

@LikaWaah, comment #41- ANYTIME you get a "Snatch" reference in, much less a clip, you are automatically in my Post of the Year running. Nicely done.

I am with the majority of those not worried about this stat.

1) As a Samsung WP 7 owner, I realize their devices were really good, but their WP commitment was mediocre at best. And mediocre is generous.
2) As my wife owned both Titans, I am not owning another HTC without seeing they have their act together. This includes experiences with their Android offerings, which have been hit and miss as well as their WP offerings. I like the 8X, but do not trust HTC enough with a 2 year commitment or a huge purchase off contract. Prove your support, gang.
3) No other WP maker has really hit my shores yet. So, how can ZTE, Fujitsu, or anyone else be even counted if they are only in a handful of markets.
4) LG...... 'nuff said.

That leaves Nokia- in all markets or getting there. High end and lower end options, and working to get them on all carriers. Exclusive games, apps, and tools. Proven software update history. You can argue if they have the best hardware or not, but you can't at least give them good hardware. I will grant their launch of WP 8 devices has had availability problems, but I say the demand for their products shocked even them. That is great for Nokia, even if they lost a few sales to unavailability because that means they sold more then they were expecting and that means they are on the consumers mind and bringing WP along with them.

I will have to be convinced by Android, iOS, or BB10 not to buy a WP. If they want my business, they need to show me I will enjoy their OS more then what I enjoy my WP 7. On the same line, any other manufacturer will have to earn my business over Nokia. They are showing me that they are the ONLY manufacturer taking my OS seriously.

My main point: Nokia was the #1 handset maker in the world making feature phones and using only Symbian on their smartphones. I have no problem believing they can dethrone Samsung and retake that perch using WP. If they do, then owning 75% or better of the WP sales is 100% fine with me.

Why do so many of my fellow WP Central users doubt the same thing? :confused:

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
There needs to be s shrine or Nokia God statue made just for you Nokia cultist to kiss everyday when you wake up and go to sleep. Though I own a Nokia product, I can't see myself being totally in love and overly satisfied about this 920. I'm on my second one. While there is tons to like about Nokia products, they still lack in some design areas. You all say you like the way it is made now, but if on the next try they made is just as thinner/smaller then you say again that it is exactly what you want. No matter what Nokia does, some of you will still love them like they are handing out crack. Experiences with these phones, or any phone in general will differ, but some of you see Nokia doing no wrong. As most of the people on these forums say..."With that said", I hope Nokia succeeds as well as HTC and whoever wants to get into the Windows Phone game. I'm not supporting any single OEM. I am supporting an operating system that is Windows Phone at this point in time. Nokia CANNOT do it by themselves. They simply don't have the clout they used to have. They don't have that APPLE thing that I love to hate. Apple succeeds because the make more than just smartphones. They make great desktop, laptops, and tablets. They have a great MP3 player, they just make great products with great support as well no matter how bland it may look. The quality (and pricey) computers drew people in. Not many other smartphone manufacturers are making a ton of other products that also have a world wide acclaim. Samsung is the only other OEM that is close in that it make tons of other great products that people like and will buy because of the name.

To sum it up, please try with your heart and head to support a OS platform and not simply riding the **** of a single solitary OEM. WP needs all the help they can get and Microsoft isn't really helping themselves as much as they could at the moment. WP8 on the outside isn't much more than windows 7.5. The average consumer doesn't care about the damn kernel.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Wow, cp2, that is a little harsh. I have always enjoyed your posts, and you seem a tad.... Grumpy. :amaze:

Look, I love me some Samsung. I was all on on the ATIV and willing to give every penny I had to support them. That is in spite of my dislike of the lightness of Sammy products. I see them as #1 for a reason- they make the best overall mobile experience. I have said in multiple posts that there is no WP 8 without HTC pushing WP 7. I respect them for that history.

Nokia just is putting out better WP devices right now, which is probably why you own one yourself. It is not building a shrine, drooling on the display cases, or a lack of desire to see anyone else succeed. I would have no problem what so ever with HTC outselling Nokia. I would have no problem with Samsung kicking both their tails. I just want to see WP above 10% worldwide sales by the end of 2013, and closer to 20% by 2014. Right now, Nokia is the manufacturer that provides the best chance to get there. I like choice. I also want BB10 to survive, Android to continue to thrive, and Apple to continue to sell well.

What is wrong with acknowledging Nokia's extra efforts and increasing WP sales??

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Wow, cp2, that is a little harsh. I have always enjoyed your posts, and you seem a tad.... Grumpy. :amaze:

Look, I love me some Samsung. I was all on on the ATIV and willing to give every penny I had to support them. That is in spite of my dislike of the lightness of Sammy products. I see them as #1 for a reason- they make the best overall mobile experience. I have said in multiple posts that there is no WP 8 without HTC pushing WP 7. I respect them for that history.

Nokia just is putting out better WP devices right now, which is probably why you own one yourself. It is not building a shrine, drooling on the display cases, or a lack of desire to see anyone else succeed. I would have no problem what so ever with HTC outselling Nokia. I would have no problem with Samsung kicking both their tails. I just want to see WP above 10% worldwide sales by the end of 2013, and closer to 20% by 2014. Right now, Nokia is the manufacturer that provides the best chance to get there. I like choice. I also want BB10 to survive, Android to continue to thrive, and Apple to continue to sell well.

What is wrong with acknowledging Nokia's extra efforts and increasing WP sales??
oh, I'm not grumpy. I didn't mean to give that tone, bit have you seen some of the Nokia is the end all be all type of responses from some of these folks? They act like HTC put out trash device or on the flipside, that Nokia clearly blows anybody out of the water in every category. If that was the case, then why is it that they are still struggling to make a come up just like HTC? But I can only speak on what I see in these forums. Who knows what the normal consumer is thinking. Who knows what kind of steam their local carrier is blowing. I just hate to see the success or failure of an OS fail with one OEM. Sure Sammy has android on lock, but collectively, Android is on top and Sammy didn't do it alone. Neither will Nokia.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

ynight

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Well right now there's only Nokia went full on with WP. Others are either deep into android or still on the way to catch up. Companies like huawei and zte may do wonders next year tho, but more likely on the low end, where the numbers will be huge.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Has HTC ever given a reason why they pulled the 8S from the US market? I think it could've found a nice niche here. It's a good looking phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6