Am I missing something?? letters of the alphabet in little squares app list

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
On WP7.5 when you swipe from the home screen over to the list of apps you have the letters of the alphabet in little squares like in contacts. You can touch a letter and pull up the screen with all the letters to choose from. I don't see that on my 8x. Is that an option in WP8?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wayne Hixson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Am I missing something??

It works that way on my Lumia 920 anyway.

On WP7.5 when you swipe from the home screen over to the list of apps you have the letters of the alphabet in little squares like in contacts. You can touch a letter and pull up the screen with all the letters to choose from. I don't see that on my 8x. Is that an option in WP8?

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
RE: Am I missing something??

On WP 7.5 the letter shortcuts are always there.
Sent from my Blue AT&T 8x using Board Xpress

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site

No they are not. This was discussed back in the 7.5 days, everybody coming to the forums shouting "I JUST INSTALLED AN APP AND NOW I HAVE LETTERS WTF"

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site

I have the same apps on my titan 2 as on my 8x and I have the shortcuts on my titan 2 but not on my 8x. That's all I'm saying.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site

I have the same apps on my titan 2 as on my 8x and I have the shortcuts on my titan 2 but not on my 8x. That's all I'm saying.

Install more.

I think once you hit the special number (45?) if you uninstall a few, the letters stay. So you might have the same now, but at some point activated the letters on your Titan II.

alfonz

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I though you need to have a certain amount of apps (40+) for the letters to show up.

Even the Nokia rep that came to my work said the same thing.

MojoHand69

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

Agreed. I am new to WP8 and thought something was amiss when the letters showed up. I now find it a completely useful feature and consistent with the rest of the OS.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

No that is not all you were saying. You were saying that on WP7.5 the letters were always there. He only pointed out that you were wrong. This is needed in order to not spread flawed and false information to other readers.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site

downloaded apps until the letters appeared. deleted an app, letters went away. deleted the rest of the new apps and figured i'd live without the shortcuts. after deleting the apps I did a soft reset and the letters re-appeared.

MikeInBA

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

I thought that was a bug in 7.x? Where if you uninstalled and got the # of apps below 40 (or whatever the magic number was), the jump list stayed, when it should have disappeared.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

Everyone take a deep breath and relax! Because I said please! Nothing to see here move on.

rpm1984

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

It is when you install your 46th app. Just went through this yesterday on my wifes 822. I told her 40 nothing happened then said 41 nothing happened then 45 nothing happened 46 it appeared. My 822 however had it there out of the box not sure why.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site

It is when you install your 46th app. Just went through this yesterday on my wifes 822. I told her 40 nothing happened then said 41 nothing happened then 45 nothing happened 46 it appeared. My 822 however had it there out of the box not sure why.
My Titan 2 had the shortcuts there out of the box as well.

etlahrs

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Glad I found this. I just made the move to WP8 and thought I was going crazy when magically there were letters in my app list that weren't there before. Amazing what a little search can do.

Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo