Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Coffee
  • 4 Post By shinygerbil
  • 1 Post By MojoHand69
  • 1 Post By Slai
    Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts
    On WP7.5 when you swipe from the home screen over to the list of apps you have the letters of the alphabet in little squares like in contacts. You can touch a letter and pull up the screen with all the letters to choose from. I don't see that on my 8x. Is that an option in WP8?
    Last edited by Dave Blake; 12-05-2012 at 08:27 AM.

It works that way on my Lumia 920 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jaj324 View Post
    On WP7.5 when you swipe from the home screen over to the list of apps you have the letters of the alphabet in little squares like in contacts. You can touch a letter and pull up the screen with all the letters to choose from. I don't see that on my 8x. Is that an option in WP8?

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    You're definitely missing the search feature in the forums :)

http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...apps-list.html
    socialcarpet and Morq like this.

Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Microsoft is stupid for changing that.
    It's been like that since the feature first appeared. The letters appear once you go over 45 apps and disappear once the count drops below something like 40 or 35.
    Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts
    On WP 7.5 the letter shortcuts are always there.
    Sent from my Blue AT&T 8x using Board Xpress

No they are not. This was discussed back in the 7.5 days, everybody coming to the forums shouting "I JUST INSTALLED AN APP AND NOW I HAVE LETTERS WTF"

Global Posts
    996 Global Posts
    He he he.
    Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts
    I have the same apps on my titan 2 as on my 8x and I have the shortcuts on my titan 2 but not on my 8x. That's all I'm saying.

Global Posts
    996 Global Posts
    I have the same apps on my titan 2 as on my 8x and I have the shortcuts on my titan 2 but not on my 8x. That's all I'm saying.
    Install more.

I think once you hit the special number (45?) if you uninstall a few, the letters stay. So you might have the same now, but at some point activated the letters on your Titan II.

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I though you need to have a certain amount of apps (40+) for the letters to show up.

Even the Nokia rep that came to my work said the same thing.

Agreed. I am new to WP8 and thought something was amiss when the letters showed up. I now find it a completely useful feature and consistent with the rest of the OS.
    thekonger likes this.

No that is not all you were saying. You were saying that on WP7.5 the letters were always there. He only pointed out that you were wrong. This is needed in order to not spread flawed and false information to other readers.
    Thanked by:
    thekonger likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts
    downloaded apps until the letters appeared. deleted an app, letters went away. deleted the rest of the new apps and figured i'd live without the shortcuts. after deleting the apps I did a soft reset and the letters re-appeared.

I thought that was a bug in 7.x? Where if you uninstalled and got the # of apps below 40 (or whatever the magic number was), the jump list stayed, when it should have disappeared.

Which means it's not always there.....
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    Everyone take a deep breath and relax! Because I said please! Nothing to see here move on.
    Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts
    Once it's there its always there.

It is when you install your 46th app. Just went through this yesterday on my wifes 822. I told her 40 nothing happened then said 41 nothing happened then 45 nothing happened 46 it appeared. My 822 however had it there out of the box not sure why.
    Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rpm1984 View Post
    It is when you install your 46th app. Just went through this yesterday on my wifes 822. I told her 40 nothing happened then said 41 nothing happened then 45 nothing happened 46 it appeared. My 822 however had it there out of the box not sure why.
    My Titan 2 had the shortcuts there out of the box as well.

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Glad I found this. I just made the move to WP8 and thought I was going crazy when magically there were letters in my app list that weren't there before. Amazing what a little search can do.

Thanks.
    Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts
    I'm not sure why MS did it this way. Maybe because someone felt like you wouldn't need the shortcuts until your app list got longer. Whatever the reason, I don't really like it. It's a great feature and should be available as soon as you start using your phone. Some users may never add enough apps tho "activate" it..
    Editor

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    If you only have ten, fifteen, maybe twenty apps is it more efficient to tap on the alpha tab or just swipe down the screen to the app you're looking for? What if your apps only take up a page and a half? The tabs might be less efficient than slightly swiping up at the screen.

The tabs are designed to eliminate the need to swipe a dozen times to go from Account Tracker to Yelp! hence the need for a listing of 45 apps before the feature kicks in.
    George Ponder
    Reviews Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email: george.ponder@wpcentral.com
    Twitter: @coppertop004

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    It doesnt show if you dont have enough apps, I'm having lumia820 and freshly formated lumia710 next to me, and in the latter I as well was puzzled with lack of the letters :)