- 12-05-2012, 12:15 AM #1
I am seeing some glaring issues with WP8 that are just killing the experience for me. Maybe some of you have some solutions for these:
- While browsing the back button works fine, but if I go back to the start screen and then open IE again I lose all page history and the back button takes me to the start screen instead of the previous page. And no forward button. Really MS?
- For all of the ability to customize the start menu experience, there is a horrible lack of basic customization in IE. I work on network security devices, and some of these are essentially required for some of my job.
No private browsing mode.
- Setting it to open the desktop version of sites barely ever works. This is especially annoying when I use google as the default search.
- No ability to create custom labels for things like phone numbers. On my iPhone I had a "Work" contact that had all my conference call #s with custom labels saying which employee/meeting they represented.
- When you do a search for a business it will show it under "local", and you can select it to show the contact information. But you can't copy any of the information, or choose to create a new contact using the information. So, you have to manually enter all the information in contacts. I was able to do this on my iPhone from day 1.
- When I put in a contact with pauses (,) and then have it put in a conference code/extension, it dials the number, pauses, and then dials the conference code/extension so fast that it never registers. So, I have to put pauses between every number.
- You can't choose which linked contact is the primary one, so I keep getting these contacts with no picture for them even though there is only one contact without a picture.
- Why can't I make it show me folders when I open the app instead of just my main inbox, and why won't it show me the number of ALL unread e-mails in all synced folders instead of just the ones in the inbox?
Wifi/Battery/Signal Strength Info Bar
- I know you can just swipe from the top to see these icons, but just show them all the time or let me choose to do that. They disappear nearly immediately.
- Why can't these be disabled, or let you put in an amount of time that you have to touch the icon to activate it (Hold it for 1 second)? I constantly hit the search button on accident with my palm, or while playing games where I have to touch near the edge of the screen.
I hated my iPhone, and for the most part I love my Lumia 920. These are all just little annoyances, but I run into them all the time. If you guys have work-around I would love to hear them.
- 12-05-2012, 12:19 AM #2
Try using the Lumia like a Lumia, instead of like an iPhone. Most of the things you've listed are iPhone user conventions, and you'll have to spend time "unlearning" them and learning the WP user conventions instead. Then you'll be kvetching about how much you hate your iPhone 7 since it's not simple like your Lumia 1050 was!
- 12-05-2012, 12:24 AM #3
How are you going back to the start screen??? If you hit the windows key, then hold back to reopen the app, it'll show the content you had prior to leaving the app. Maybe I'm not understanding? Do you mean if you went to page 2 and then did that, you couldn't go back to page 1?
Btw... Didn't even realize I could change the default search... Thanks ;)
- 12-05-2012, 12:38 AM #4
What else did I say that has to do with learning the WP user conventions? That's certainly why I asked if there was something I'm missing.
- Open IE and go to some web page.
- Click on a link to go to another page.
- Hit the back button and it will take you to the original page you opened.
- Now, click the same link again, and then hit the Windows button to go to the start screen (You can go to any other app as well. This happens anytime IE is put in the background.)
- Return to IE by clicking on the app icon from start.
- Now hit the back button.
Instead of taking you back to the original page again, it sends you to the start screen. So, it's losing your browsing history every time you switch to something else, answer a call, or whatever.
Last edited by sluffmo; 12-05-2012 at 01:54 PM.
12-05-2012, 01:05 AM #6
- 216 Posts
I agree with you on almost every other issue that you raised above. The platform still needs lots of work. I hope they get this all dialed because I love my Lumia 920.
- 12-05-2012, 01:45 AM #8
Agree with you OP some of the ones that you mentioned really annoy me to. There seems to be far too many places in the phone that you can't copy text from which you should be able to. The signal/time/battery indicator really annoy me it is like some has gone out of their way to make some things really annoying.
The WiFi indicator is the most annoying thing it doesn't tell you what the signal strength is it just shows full strength ll the time that is a really poor shoring on Microsofts part.
And the back button exiting out of IE how silly is that? That really winds me up.
12-05-2012, 02:10 AM #9
- 557 Posts
A big change they should make it to make the search button contextual.
IE if youre in your emails and press it, you search your emails.
If youre in the store, it searches the store.
If youre in contacts, it searches contacts.
If youre on home screen it searches EVERYTHING THERE IS TO SEARCH. IE, apps, contacts, messages, emails, call-list, store, internet, etc.
As of now I NEVER use the search button and would actually use it more often if it was a "Forward" button SOLELY useable in IE10. And thats saying something.
12-05-2012, 02:26 AM #10
- 208 Posts
That was the case back in WP7.0 and believe me it was worse that way round.
Sure it worked fine in the People app, the email app, etc. Basically any stock app.
Most devs didn't bother to stick to the rules though. You'd open up a youtube app or an RSS reader app or whatever, and hit the search button, and get booted into Bing. In another app, it'd work fine. There was no way to tell, and no way to enforce the rules. And back then, with no multitasking support...phew. I'm glad those days are gone.
12-05-2012, 02:42 AM #11
- 557 Posts
Fair enough, im not saying change the train for a bicycle with a faulty wheel, Im saying change the train for an aeroplane.
I dont care about 3rd party apps tbh, I just want the search button to work with the stock things. Email, contacts, messages, apps, store. If it works on other apps; great. If not; not a huge hit for me.
In any case it would be far better than the waste of space that search button is now.
12-05-2012, 03:53 AM #12
- 10 Posts
The Solution? Wouldn't it be easy if MS staff used Android, ios and all the others for a while then stuck the best of everything into WP8 (which I love by the way) - especially on the Lumia 920 - it's breathtaking. Shame I had to swap my handset the next day, and they are currently out of stock in our country :(
- 12-05-2012, 08:01 AM #13
12-05-2012, 09:00 AM #15
- 1,118 Posts
Pertaining to your work number related point - Couldn't you just create a 'work group' that included all those numbers? Then you could pin that to the start screen and you'd have access to all those numbers without 'searching' for them right?Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
God's work, our hands.
Preaching the Gospel.
Holding a Windows Phone.
- 12-05-2012, 09:13 AM #16
Some of those are not "iPhone conventions" that you should unlearn. Pulling up a business in Local Scout and not having the ability to make that a contact is pretty basic, imo. Works that way on Android too.
As for the dial in conference. I just tested that and it works just fine for me. I have my number, two commas and my code. Sure it goes fast but it works just fine every time. I'm using Verizon audio conferencing. When you dial it manually do you ever put a # in there? On mine I don't have to, it will work with or without one.. it's faster with the #.
Linked contacts and pictures. I have not seen that. I have many linked contacts and most of them just have one picture (Facebook) and they all show up. I have several that don't have Facebook and have a picture from my Live account. Give me an example of one of the contacts that has a picture, but does not show up. What are the souces of the links? Facebook, Live, Exchagne, Google? And which one has the picture?
- 12-05-2012, 10:27 AM #17
1) Open IE and go to Yahoo.com
2) Click the top article (currently Obama).
3) Click the Start button [I even tried Start then Mail...]
4) Hold "Back", select IE with the Obama article. [I even tried just tapping "back" until I got back into IE]
5) tap "Back" again, and I go to Yahoo.com.
Works fine for me...??? Nokia 920, OS 8.0.9903.10
- 12-05-2012, 10:58 AM #21
12-05-2012, 12:01 PM #23
- 255 Posts
- 12-05-2012, 01:23 PM #24
That said, I've seen it happen other times as well, but I don't remember the cases well enough to write a reproduction scenario at the moment.
- 12-05-2012, 01:49 PM #25
It's also really inefficient to expect someone to go to the recent section just to go back one page. That requires two more steps for no real reason. They need to standardize actions. I'd be perfectly happy with the back button returning you to a previous location/app every time, and them just adding back and forward software buttons. There is no reason not to have that capability in a browser. They could even just use a two finger swipe to do it if they don't want buttons.
Either way, in my opinion, back/forward history should be saved per tab in any situation.
Also, pointing to it being a current "convention" is not an excuse for an inadequate customer experience. Keeping to conventions that are bad just drives customers away for no good reason in cases like this, and the important thing about conventions is that you can change and improve them. Even if they are currently good that doesn't mean that you don't make an effort to continuously improve them when you can. I left iphone because Apple has taken on this philosophy.
Last edited by sluffmo; 12-05-2012 at 02:00 PM.
- By TMavC5 in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 10Last Post: 11-26-2012, 09:48 PM
- By mikeegan12 in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 24Last Post: 03-21-2012, 01:41 PM
- By baseballbert in forum Other OS's and DevicesReplies: 7Last Post: 12-07-2011, 03:13 PM
- By jdevenberg in forum AndroidReplies: 5Last Post: 11-05-2011, 06:41 AM
- By jrdatrackstar1223 in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 27Last Post: 10-26-2011, 03:19 PM