Lumia 920 or 8x

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I chose the 8x. I was coming from a Titan2 that I chose over the Lumia 900 after having the 900 for about a month. I guess I just prefer HTC.
Sent from my Blue AT&T 8x using Board Xpress

lfjj

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The one thing that bothers me about the decision is the fact that the Lumia 920 is so heavy, and I think my Titan at 160g is heavy and really noticeable in the pocket. Screensize, 4.3 or 4.5 don't matter to me either, I actually think 4.7 as my Titan is is a bit too bit even tho I have big hands.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Go to the store and use them both.

It depends on what's most important to you. I would say educate yourself about what the Nokia exclusive apps are and make sure you don't want any of them before you go with HTC. Also consider how you use your phone's camera. If you find you frequently take pictures in low light or in the evening when out with friends and family, then the 920 is the better choice. If you carry a lot of music, pictures, movies with you, the 920 has double the memory (32 GB) than the 8X. Nokia also has a much better track record of supporting Windows Phone and issuing updates and fixes than HTC does.

The advantages of the HTC are lighter weight, narrower shape, availability on Verizon if that is your carrier of choice and an amplifier which is supposed to improve audio performance.

Personally I think unless you're married to Verizon, or you wear skinny jeans and are super-sensitive to a few grams of weight the 920 is the obvious choice.

lfjj

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't care about exclusive apps at all, every app I need is available in the marketplace for all. I take pictures but I don't demand the best quality. I had a 16GB iPhone 4 before and I had a lot of music on it and I was fine with 16GB, other than that I don't know..

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I have the 8X on T-Mo, no 920 option, but I would have gone this way anyway. Got it Friday. I love it. I'm coming from an HTC Radar. The screen is gorgeous. Games and movies are in HD. It fits comfortably in the hand(s) and the pocket. It feels smaller than it is. The shape/form factor makes this happen. I could care less about Drive and a lot of those exclusive apps. Its a lot of fluff to me. The cameras are nice. I enjoy the wide angle ffc. I'm not a big photog, so I was happy with 5mp. Most of my pics are taken on 2mp anyway as they're easier to send. As far as memory goes, I have tons of apps/games to play with, and if you're at all like me, you change/switch up your music library quite a bit. I don't need 20gb for music. I steam a lot of that stuff anyway. Don't forget the cloud storage options. Audio is wonderful. Beats is somewhat akin to SRS from HTC, but more dynamic. I listen to a lot of house and D&B these days, and I love it with my old school Sony over the ears. Can't turn all the way up to 30. Can't hear anything else after like 24. Awesomeness!! Battery depends on how you use. Wireless charging is not an option for me. My life doesn't work like that. Again, fluff. Not one force/random reboot. A few WP7.5 apps don't quite work yet, but that's on them not WP or HTC. What I do get is the buttery smoothness and glitch-free reliability we've come expect and love from WP. I'm extremely happy!!! Hoping this helps.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't care about exclusive apps at all, every app I need is available in the marketplace for all. I take pictures but I don't demand the best quality. I had a 16GB iPhone 4 before and I had a lot of music on it and I was fine with 16GB, other than that I don't know..

It sounds like you are decided on the 8x. Go with it. Don't make us talk you into (or out of) it.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you encountered any problems with your 8x yet jaj324?
It has been rock solid perfect since day one. No reboots, great batt life, never gets warm. The shape, size, weight and texture are much better than the 920. The Nokia has great specs but it also has many glitches and design flaws. Just read all of the complaints and problems on the 920 forum. That thing is like my first 3 wives. It has issues!!

Polkka

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
It has been rock solid perfect since day one. No reboots, great batt life, never gets warm. The shape, size, weight and texture are much better than the 920. The Nokia has great specs but it also has many glitches and design flaws. Just read all of the complaints and problems on the 920 forum. That thing is like my first 3 wives. It has issues!!
I thought that the reboot problem is WP8? I do not have any problem with nokia .Nokia sells more, more problems to write about.....

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

Sounds like the 8x would be just fine for you then, unless you use a 920 and find something you like more about it.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

The higher number of complaint threads just MIGHT have something to do with the fact that the 920 is massively outselling the 8x. Just sayin'...

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
920, the heft is awesome and feels like a pretty high end device with some ooomph under the hood!

Plus it has performed flawlessly since I've gotten it!!
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I returned my 920 and got an 8X instead. I didn't need the apps or the storage, and the form factor of the 8X is way better than the 920, the 920 was just too bulky.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually surprised that a Titan owner is considering an HTC phone again.
I went from a titan 2 to an 8x. I just like the HTC hardware better than the lumia and I had a 900 from launch day until I bought my titan 2 in may.

Sent from my HTC Titan 2 using Board Express

Bryan_J

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I bought a 920 which, so far I love and which has had zero problems, but there is still a bit of me that loves the look of the 8X. If Microsoft fixes the Xbox Music disaster, I will probably buy an 8X and switch between the two phones depending on which one fits my mood better.

Also, the 8X is a bit easier to carry around in a front pocket.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I went from a titan 2 to an 8x. I just like the HTC hardware better than the lumia and I had a 900 from launch day until I bought my titan 2 in may.

Sent from my HTC Titan 2 using Board Express
I can understand it from the Titan 2. But the original Titan was kind if crappy. And no fixes cane from HTC. Well... a big fix came, but it was called the Titan 2.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Personally the 8x was out of the question immediately simply based on design.

But the 920 has so many advantages over the 8x. Screen for one, is far better on 920. Direct sunlight wont make the screen unreadable. You can use it with gloves. It doesnt mess with metroTubes display. Wireless charging is a godsent, you really dont know until you try it. Nokia apps like PhotoBeamer (no, I dont think youll get that on the marketplace), Nokia Drive, Nokia Music, Panorama, etc. The sheer build quality of the phone itself. The fact that Nokia is good at pushing out updates and HTC historically are not.

As for the weight, I thought it would be a problem too, but its gone after a maximum of 20 minutes of use, dont even notice it. Its not like its a brick vs a feather, its just a few grams.

Iunno, its your choice to opt for the 8x. But I find it a weird one :) .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett