ZipWhip - Question answered

Spongers8X

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So I emailed ZipWhip to find out if they would be making an app for Windows Phone 8, and here is their response:
Hi Dave,

As soon as Microsoft opens up their API?s enough to let us build an app we?re all over it. We would love to support the Windows phone.

Thanks,
Kelsey

I have heard this response from developers when asked about making a sound/vibrate/quiet toggle button. My question is, what API's are still not open? I am not a developer, and am coming from Android where everything was (mostly) open from the get go, so I am just curious as to what they are waiting on. Thanks!

BTW: If you do not know what ZipWhip is, it is an app that allows you to use any computer or tablet to send text messages from those devices, using your cell's phone number.

Thanks!

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Reviving an old thread... but this is something i would definitely like to see working on Windows Phone. Has anyone found anything else that can accomplish this yet? Its been about 6 months...you never know.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
So I emailed ZipWhip to find out if they would be making an app for Windows Phone 8, and here is their response:
Hi Dave,

As soon as Microsoft opens up their API’s enough to let us build an app we’re all over it. We would love to support the Windows phone.

Thanks,
Kelsey

I have heard this response from developers when asked about making a sound/vibrate/quiet toggle button. My question is, what API's are still not open? I am not a developer, and am coming from Android where everything was (mostly) open from the get go, so I am just curious as to what they are waiting on. Thanks!

BTW: If you do not know what ZipWhip is, it is an app that allows you to use any computer or tablet to send text messages from those devices, using your cell's phone number.

Thanks!

Android is "mostly" open only if it is rooted. And I don't like "rooted" phones, it is risky.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Not knowing anything about ZipWhip other than what you wrote, if I'm reading this right, you send a text using your computer, and the phone actually sends the text. Is that right? If so, the problem is that the security model of Windows Phone won't allow this. Anytime an app initiates a call to send a text, an email, a phone call, that action leaves the app, and prompts the user, asking whether to allow it. This is for your security. It is to keep rogue apps from sending texts without your knowledge, and this way you don't get unexpected premium texts on your bill next month.

I seriously doubt Microsoft is going to open this up. I wouldn't.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6