Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Actually, it does. Secure HTTP (encrypted) causes a delay in IMs. When I turned it off, messaging problems went away on my handset.

Also, Facebook changes its site architecture and UI dozens of times a week. Microsoft is always going to lag catching up with FB's changes, because they're not embedded in the organization. And FB seems intent on becoming more closed and proprietary, ala Instagram, so I doubt this situation is going to get better over time. I generally stick to the good old fashioned text message because of it... proprietary platforms of any sort (Google Chat, Google Voice, Facebook, WhatsApp, Kik, etc.) are just an app change (or discontinuation) away from being unusable, and that risk is WAY too high to make it an infrastructure to depend on.

If something super-cool and new comes out in a couple of years and you decide you want to leave Windows Phone for it, you'd find yourself screwed if your preferred proprietary chat protocol isn't supported on it. Best to just stick to something open (and e-mail the proprietary guys on why you don't use their stuff). Perhaps they'll actually open up their APIs.
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Actually, it does. Secure HTTP (encrypted) causes a delay in IMs. When I turned it off, messaging problems went away on my handset.

Also, Facebook changes its site architecture and UI dozens of times a week. Microsoft is always going to lag catching up with FB's changes, because they're not embedded in the organization. And FB seems intent on becoming more closed and proprietary, ala Instagram, so I doubt this situation is going to get better over time. I generally stick to the good old fashioned text message because of it... proprietary platforms of any sort (Google Chat, Google Voice, Facebook, WhatsApp, Kik, etc.) are just an app change (or discontinuation) away from being unusable, and that risk is WAY too high to make it an infrastructure to depend on.

If something super-cool and new comes out in a couple of years and you decide you want to leave Windows Phone for it, you'd find yourself screwed if your preferred proprietary chat protocol isn't supported on it. Best to just stick to something open (and e-mail the proprietary guys on why you don't use their stuff). Perhaps they'll actually open up their APIs.
    Shouldn't we all be using Android in that case? ;)

Global Posts
    1,005 Global Posts
    Hope it's okay that I can jump on this thread to ask a question...

I don't use Facebook, but my wife was trying to do something on there and I wanted to see if it can be done with WP8. She has a setting that she has to approve any pictures with her in them (maybe taged...I don't know the lingo). She could not see a way to do it from the me tile or the app. Anyone know of a way to do that with WP8?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatting Hen View Post
    Hope it's okay that I can jump on this thread to ask a question...

I don't use Facebook, but my wife was trying to do something on there and I wanted to see if it can be done with WP8. She has a setting that she has to approve any pictures with her in them (maybe taged...I don't know the lingo). She could not see a way to do it from the me tile or the app. Anyone know of a way to do that with WP8?

Thanks.
    She will be able to do it if she logs into m.facebook.com not from the ME tile.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,005 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    She will be able to do it if she logs into m.facebook.com not from the ME tile.

Okay, thanks. Not from the app either? If not, I will just have her add the mobile site as a pinned favorite. Speaking of that, she uses the Me tile/People hub and the Facebook app. From what I have heard on the forums here, the app leaves a lot to be desired. Would using the mobile site be a better compliment to the Me tile than the app?
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatting Hen View Post
    Okay, thanks. Not from the app either? If not, I will just have her add the mobile site as a pinned favorite. Speaking of that, she uses the Me tile/People hub and the Facebook app. From what I have heard on the forums here, the app leaves a lot to be desired. Would using the mobile site be a better compliment to the Me tile than the app?
    Mobile site is perfect. To me the app doesn't really leave much to desire. I like the app the way it is. If she doesn't admin groups but just uses facebook to post pics, like pics, delete pics, update status, like status, delete status, send messages, receive messages, check in to places, include check-in pics, like pages, comment on pages - app should suffice.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Mobile site is perfect. To me the app doesn't really leave much to desire. I like the app the way it is. If she doesn't admin groups but just uses facebook to post pics, like pics, delete pics, update status, like status, delete status, send messages, receive messages, check in to places, include check-in pics, like pages, comment on pages - app should suffice.
    I agree. I don't touch the app. Mobile website for me
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Shouldn't we all be using Android in that case? ;)
    Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww!
    tk-093 likes this.

I actually like the facebook integration of wp8. Tried the app a week but x.facebook.com does it for me way better. If i want to check other people status i open the contact app. Checking message i turn online in the chat.
    The conversations worked great a week ago. Not using the chat often because i don't like to be online every time. (i can't understand returning the phone because of the lack of the facebook chat)

Global Posts
    1,773 Global Posts
    The chat, the Facebook App, and the 'what's new' in the People Hub are all pretty terrible for me.

I've done a pretty good job on my Facebook of hiding certian things like game updates and crap. I can pull up my Facebook from any browser, mobile or desktop and it shows up how I want.

The Facebook App, and the 'what's new' screen totally ignore that and my feed is full of all of those annoying game requests and pages that never, ever show up on my normal feed. I really want to use the built in features, but it's a struggle.
    Banned

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    The chat, the Facebook App, and the 'what's new' in the People Hub are all pretty terrible for me.

I've done a pretty good job on my Facebook of hiding certian things like game updates and crap. I can pull up my Facebook from any browser, mobile or desktop and it shows up how I want.

The Facebook App, and the 'what's new' screen totally ignore that and my feed is full of all of those annoying game requests and pages that never, ever show up on my normal feed. I really want to use the built in features, but it's a struggle.
    Because of this and lots of other issues I have completely given up on the integration and use m.facebook.com for everything. That of course is far from perfect, but at least bearable.

Global Posts
    1,773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StevesBalls View Post
    Because of this and lots of other issues I have completely given up on the integration and use m.facebook.com for everything. That of course is far from perfect, but at least bearable.
    Try touch.facebook.com You might like that better.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    I don't get the stupid game notifications, because I have a policy of telling friends NOT to invite me to them, along with a public policy of "three strikes and you're unfriended."

Keeps the feed nice and clean. :)
    tk-093 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    Try touch.facebook.com You might like that better.
    Thanks for the suggestion. But it has some issues on WP, so that's why I use m.facebook.com. It's hard out there for a WP Facebook pimp. :)
    tk-093 and WPenvy like this.
  15. D2

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Facebook chat integration has been terrible lately. Is there any news of upcoming fixes?

am pretty sure its your network cz mine works as fine as fcuk
    Banned

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D2 View Post
    Facebook chat integration has been terrible lately. Is there any news of upcoming fixes?
    Nope. If I would have to guess I would say in WP9. Maybe (and that's a big maybe, btw).
  18. D2

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    It's a pretty huge dissapointment if there isn't at least someone working on this issue...

Hi,

So i did some extensive testing with the Facebook integration and it seems this is a feature that makes allot of sense, however, annoying in some ways.

The way it works is that you need to speak to someone through messages first, to get their messages coming through. This is so when you're using your desktop computer, you dont get heaps of chat notifications when you're talking to that person on your computer or some other way, when you've already seen them. Im not sure whether there is a timer that resets this feature, or you just have to say something to someone through chat.

So over all this is a good feature, however maybe a timer of not 30minutes of no more messages being sent from another device, could reset it so you get new messages coming through

I hope this helps everyone.
    I'm having the same problem. Messages not coming through the Facebook chat integration of the phone. Such a shame because it is a really neat feature, but as for now it's unreliable.

My solution was pinning the messaging area of the Facebook app. The resulting tile takes me directly to the messages section of the app (which seems to sync fine).

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Been suffering these same issues since I got my WP7, quite a long time ago now.

(bar the FB app crashing, it's been stable in that department but I find it lacking in features).
  22. D2

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    If at least facebook push worked, we could get a reliable counter of unread messages. It's frustrating that I need to periodically launch the app every 10 minutes to check for new messages (destroying the point of live tiles).

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D2 View Post
    If at least facebook push worked, we could get a reliable counter of unread messages. It's frustrating that I need to periodically launch the app every 10 minutes to check for new messages (destroying the point of live tiles).

I've noticed a consistent 15 minute delay of push notifications from the Facebook app.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,451 Global Posts
    Sadly, most information in this thread is wrong. Balls got it right, Windows 8 has the same issues, btw.

Facebook chat in the Messaging hub is worthless. It's the same thing on Windows 8. If the Hub is open, it seems to work fine while you're in it. However, when it's closed there are tons of issues with missed notifications or missing messages in the thread. This also happens in the Windows 8 Messaging Hub, FWIW (been experiencing it since launch).

The WP FBC issues are as old as the FBC integration itself. It has ALWAYS been broken, literally. It's part of the reason why I went back to Android following Mango release. As I moved most SMS to FB Chat Windows Phone made it impossible to efficiently communicate with the people I talk to.

Also, Microsoft integration/app does not keep pace with Facebook Messenger. No Seen tags or picture transfer.

Old issue. Always been there. Doubt it will be fixed soon, if it's apparently still there now. Yes, it's a pretty embarrassing issue for them, IMO, as the FBC integration was a huge selling point but turned out to be too much of a hassle to be worth it - given FB is not developing for the platform.

^funny, I've never had issues with FBC. Works flawlessly. I use to chat with my gf all the time and switch back and forth between FBC and SMS.

I love how people just blanket their problems with WP on everyone.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast