Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55
Like Tree8Likes
  1. D2
    D2 is offline
    D2's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hi All,

    I've just picked a nice new Lumia 920 - It's most great but I'm having a very questionable experience with Facebook Chat integration. It's actually my main method of communication with people, and it's instability makes using my phone as a communication device a very difficult experience.

    1) The connection is terribly unstable. There are multitudes of messages that simply do not get pushed. It's very frustrating to log onto facebook and see that I've received 3-4 messages throughout the day, and none of them have arrived at my phone. Sometimes I'll be connected, meaning I can send messages, but then messages I receive don't get pushed to my phone.

    2) When they are pushed, there is a considerable lag. My Windows 8 Laptop receives messages in a very stable way, and it is very fast, but it always takes several seconds more for the Windows Phone to receive the same message.

    3) Can we get support for the sent/received notifier on Facebook chat? Also we need support to be able to attach images and documents like all the other phones.

    4) Can facebook integration plug directly into the messaging interface. We lack group chats + we lack the ability to view the entire message log. Only messages that were sent and received when the device was active on the network show up - and I still need to go to the Facebook app to see full conversation logs across devices.

    5) Just a bug I'd like to point out - when I set my Skype to be invisible, and my Windows Phone Chat to be online, the windows phone messaging chat status will constantly automatically turn itself back to Invisible -> I think because the Skype and Windows Chat options need to be set onto the same option (Windows Phone + windows Live integration?) This if fustrating, because Facebook Chat doesn't work properly when it's set to invisible. We should be able to have Skype be invisible (because I don't want to receive calls all the time), and still be able to receive facebook messages.

    6) Does anyone know how message pushing works - meaning where they are sent to. Sometimes I receive messages only on the website, sometimes I receive them everywhere. It's terribly inconsistent where the messages get pushed to.

    7) The facebook app is terrible - it keeps crashing (I can't even check my messages without it crashing)

    The most important thing for a phone is I need to be able to trust it to accurately convey information. However, because of this shaky Facebook integration, I'm always going back to a browser/ laptop just to check if there are any mistakes (and there often are). If any of you have any suggestions for fixes, I'm all ears.
  2. WPenvy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    263 Posts
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by D2 View Post
    Hi All,

    I've just picked a nice new Lumia 920 - It's most great but I'm having a very questionable experience with Facebook Chat integration. It's actually my main method of communication with people, and it's instability makes using my phone as a communication device a very difficult experience.

    1) The connection is terribly unstable. There are multitudes of messages that simply do not get pushed. It's very frustrating to log onto facebook and see that I've received 3-4 messages throughout the day, and none of them have arrived at my phone. Sometimes I'll be connected, meaning I can send messages, but then messages I receive don't get pushed to my phone.

    2) When they are pushed, there is a considerable lag. My Windows 8 Laptop receives messages in a very stable way, and it is very fast, but it always takes several seconds more for the Windows Phone to receive the same message.

    3) Can we get support for the sent/received notifier on Facebook chat? Also we need support to be able to attach images and documents like all the other phones.

    4) Can facebook integration plug directly into the messaging interface. We lack group chats + we lack the ability to view the entire message log. Only messages that were sent and received when the device was active on the network show up - and I still need to go to the Facebook app to see full conversation logs across devices.

    5) Just a bug I'd like to point out - when I set my Skype to be invisible, and my Windows Phone Chat to be online, the windows phone messaging chat status will constantly automatically turn itself back to Invisible -> I think because the Skype and Windows Chat options need to be set onto the same option (Windows Phone + windows Live integration?) This if fustrating, because Facebook Chat doesn't work properly when it's set to invisible. We should be able to have Skype be invisible (because I don't want to receive calls all the time), and still be able to receive facebook messages.

    6) Does anyone know how message pushing works - meaning where they are sent to. Sometimes I receive messages only on the website, sometimes I receive them everywhere. It's terribly inconsistent where the messages get pushed to.

    7) The facebook app is terrible - it keeps crashing (I can't even check my messages without it crashing)

    The most important thing for a phone is I need to be able to trust it to accurately convey information. However, because of this shaky Facebook integration, I'm always going back to a browser/ laptop just to check if there are any mistakes (and there often are). If any of you have any suggestions for fixes, I'm all ears.
    1- over the past 2-3 days i've noticed this too. It was working fine as you would expect earlier in the week and over the weekend. They must've changed something. Even when i'm not using FB on my laptop i would get the pushes to my phone. Now, nothing.

    2-haven't had lag with mine

    3-that would be great. i'd like to increase my stalking abilities...

    4-i'm not sure that microsoft would do that with wp8. Earlier in the year (February i think) i had over 12,000 texts in a single month (sent and received). My phone really bogged down until i deleted everything. If they throw in the entire thread from FB i can only see it getting worse.

    5-Not sure i uninstalled Skype until they fix the continuous syncing problem. I have a 19 hour work day i need to get through.

    6-That's a good question that i'd like to know too.

    7-The mobile website version of facebook isn't half-bad. I use that instead of the app.



    What kind of mistakes are you coming across?
  3. Slai's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    557 Posts
    #3  
    Strange, never had any issues at all with the FB chat integration, but I sent my phone away monday so havent tried it since then.
  4. StevesBalls's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    #4  
    If you rely on Facebook chat then you picked the wrong phone, or rather OS platform. It's by far the most unreliable of all OS options.
    Thanked by:
    MrSean490 likes this.
  5. Slai's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    557 Posts
    #5  
    Seriously? Ive never had a glitch in my fb chats at all :| . Has it become horrible since monday or have I just been lucky?
  6. StevesBalls's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    #6  
    It's an issue that has been there ever since WP7. All IM apps on WP suck in some way, push notifications get lost, messages arrive late etc... One would think that at least the built in Messenger and Facebook chat implementations would work - but no. It's just plain embarrassing that they still can't get this right.
    Thanked by:
  7. jiffffy pop's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    32 Posts
    #7  
    I believe if you have your Facebook account to login using https, there will be some lag receiving messages. My friend and I tested with and without, no lag on a non secure connection. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    brmiller1976 likes this.
  8. jiffffy pop's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    32 Posts
    #8  
    Also the messages from Facebook chat are sent to your phone via the Microsoft app on Facebook.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
  9. sheldon h's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #9  
    I don't use facebook chat that much, but I have gotten a couple recently and I noticed I wasn't getting any notifications the past few days also. It seemed to be working last week...
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by StevesBalls View Post
    It's an issue that has been there ever since WP7. All IM apps on WP suck in some way, push notifications get lost, messages arrive late etc... One would think that at least the built in Messenger and Facebook chat implementations would work - but no. It's just plain embarrassing that they still can't get this right.
    What Balls said.
    StevesBalls likes this.
  11. WPenvy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    263 Posts
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by sheldon h View Post
    I don't use facebook chat that much, but I have gotten a couple recently and I noticed I wasn't getting any notifications the past few days also. It seemed to be working last week...
    Ah you too eh? I'll try the HTTP instead of HTTPS
  12. derDaniel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    107 Posts
    #12  
    I can confirm those experiences. I got my Lumia 920 about 3 Weeks ago and everything work smooth and fast.
    I got my laptop opened and when I received a message via Firefox, I just got the notification on my phone instantly.

    Since a couple of days this has been changed. I don't know why and how..
  13. WPenvy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    263 Posts
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Hitzel View Post
    I can confirm those experiences. I got my Lumia 920 about 3 Weeks ago and everything work smooth and fast.
    I got my laptop opened and when I received a message via Firefox, I just got the notification on my phone instantly.

    Since a couple of days this has been changed. I don't know why and how..
    they (Facebook) have to be changing background things. Because at one point this week, when I opened a fb chat thread on my phone, the thread would update with all the messages received from the contact. None of mine, but only the incoming ones.

    I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. Perhaps they realized that both incoming and outgoing messages weren't being pushed to the device and reverted back for now.
  14. D2
    D2 is offline
    D2's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
       #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by WPenvy View Post
    they (Facebook) have to be changing background things. Because at one point this week, when I opened a fb chat thread on my phone, the thread would update with all the messages received from the contact. None of mine, but only the incoming ones.

    I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. Perhaps they realized that both incoming and outgoing messages weren't being pushed to the device and reverted back for now.
    That would be amazing if they fixed it so that it is a full facebook messaging client. I guess we'll wait and see.
  15. Kockobelle's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #15  
    I returned my Lumia 920 because of this issue and the rattling vibrator.
  16. StevesBalls's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kockobelle View Post
    I returned my Lumia 920 because of this issue and the rattling vibrator.
    And you did well. It's absolutely unacceptable that they are ignoring this issue.
    Kockobelle likes this.
  17. D2
    D2 is offline
    D2's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
       #17  
    It seems backend changes are going on again - I'm getting chat messages from the website populating into my chat in both windows 8 and WP8, however now notifications aren't pushing properly. What a great beta test we've all become part of....
  18. James8561's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,053 Posts
    #18  
    Facebook by Microsoft sucks! try adding your fb account to the phone and use the message app instead. select online and change status to available
  19. Sumit8's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    34 Posts
    #19  
    i can confirm that FB-Chat does not work at all right now. Not on WP8 and not on WP7.5. I tried it on my Lumia 900 and 920.
    This and the lack of WhatsApp for WP8 and Bugs in Skype make the phone very bad as a communication device. I'm starting to question my decisions to switch to the MS ecosystem...
  20. jiayit's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    #20  
    Yes, although I don't own a WP8 device, all the points you have pointed out are vaid. Sometimes it gets pushed, sometimes it doesn't. Also needs to have group chat & pictue support.

    My alternative is going to the Facebook app, swipe one time to the right, open Messages, and pin it to the start screen.
    When in inbox, swipe down to refresh. In a chat, swipe up to refresh.
  21. derDaniel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    107 Posts
    #21  
    I kinda wondered if it is really a WP8 issue or a Facebook problem..

    Facebook chat is based on a simple IRC Chat standart. As a closed segment Facebook gives just some certain interfaces that can be used by third party companies to embed the Facebook chat in their own prodducts.
    So there are 2 possibilities to my mind.
    (a) Mircrosoft did really bad on the usage of those interfaces
    (b) Mircrosoft did quite well and is addicted to what Facebook pushs out of those interfaces

    Too bad the Facebook chat does really well on Windows 8 and other third party products.
    So it would be rather (a) and MS did some things bad on the implementation of those interfaces.
    But why is this not fixed yet. The Windows Phone OS is out since 2 years by now?
  22. JensGorm's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #22  
    I second that. I've been using the builtin Facebook chat on my new lumia 920, and today I sent a message that was not received by the recipient! When going into the Facebook app, the message I sent was nowhere to be found...
  23. WPenvy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    263 Posts
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    #23  
    ERMAGERD!!!!! Getting a little frustrated. Last night i was IMing a friend and there were 15min intervals between my replies because the IMs weren't getting forwarded to my phone in chat. I had to keep checking the website for new messages.
  24. Willyman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    66 Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffffy pop View Post
    I believe if you have your Facebook account to login using https, there will be some lag receiving messages. My friend and I tested with and without, no lag on a non secure connection. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    Que? Can you explain this a bit more? How do you switch it?
  25. StevesBalls's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Willyman View Post
    Que? Can you explain this a bit more? How do you switch it?
    That's nonsense, just ignore it. It has nothing to do with the issue at hand.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mango Facebook chat
    By kregstrong in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2013, 11:06 AM
  2. Facebook Chat not connecting. please help
    By TheRealSel in forum Nokia Lumia 710
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-18-2012, 01:13 PM
  3. Facebook chat?
    By scottcraft in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-08-2011, 06:02 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-24-2011, 03:42 PM
  5. FIM Facebook Chat?
    By deadwrong03 in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-31-2011, 11:31 AM

Posting Permissions