Windows Phone 8 - Understanding Updates

VDubb22

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping someone can provide us with a detailed explanation of how Windows Phone 8 handles updates. Right now, I'm getting different information stating that MS has full control, that carriers have full control, there are multiple levels of updates, etc. If you know how it works, or have a valid source, please post here so I, and others, can understand how updates work.

rantanplan1980

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know MS provides the software and the OEMs can't make any changes but have to provide the drivers as they're hardware specific. So in a way we do get updates from the OEMs.

VDubb22

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
So you're suggesting that Microsoft does not have the ability to push an update to devices without approval from either the OEM or carrier?

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I always thought the WP updates would come through MS, and the Nokia-specific updates (apps) would come through Nokia. IE if there is a new WP version, Nokia would roll out their app updates (if needed) to match the current version at the same time.

VDubb22

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I assumed something similar, but there is so much varying information out there that I don't know what to believe. I wish Microsoft provided a detail explanation of system updates.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium