Who here still thinks Samsung isn't sleeping with Android?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
When did you last see SGS I, II, III deliveries in this state - Samsung ATIV S delayed until Feb 2013?

All they had to do was swap OS (not literally). If Nokia and HTC can get their phones in time, how come Samsung needs 2-3 extra months?!

Is it because like peeps said earlier that MSFT screwed up Sammy with WP8 incompatibility or is Samsung finding its true love only in Android's bed?

StaticMain

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I suspect some hardware companies view themselves as classy and don't like to whore about. Maybe Sam is pulling a page out of Nokia's book and considering a monogamous relationship.

HTC on the other hand...slut.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Samsung has no urgency. They're doing fine already, and I suspect that the only reason they're making WP at all is because they don't want to be completely beholden to Google. It's leverage to tell Google that they can jump ship if they wanted to.

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Samsung has no urgency. They're doing fine already, and I suspect that the only reason they're making WP at all is because they don't want to be completely beholden to Google. It's leverage to tell Google that they can jump ship if they wanted to.

^ This. They can afford to take their time. With that being said, it better be a killer device when it's released.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Samsung can't just leave MSFT though!

Why not? I think Samsung can do anything they want that furthers their business interests.These days nobody wants to be solely a consumer hardware manufacturer. That is bound to get you into situations like HTC is in today. Samsung will do something about that, the only question is when.

I know Samsung has considered entering the services business, which would entail creating their own ecosystem. Their Android and Tizen devices would act as porticoes to those services which would replace some of Google's. Google is nervous, and I think with good reason. Samsung is powerful enough to do so and is contemplating it, Amazon already has.

Samsung putting their full weight behind WP8 would run completely against those interests, as that would promote yet another competitors ecosystem.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
But how will it help WP or Samsung by promoting or releasing a handset 4 months after the OS release? If MWC rumours are true, we will be seeing Nokia and HTC announce at least one handset sporting Portico, no?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I look at it this way. Sammy is making very good profits selling Android devices right now. They can build only so many devices at a time. If they start making Windows Phones, that's probably less Galaxy phones they can make. So they need to take their time to make sure they don't harm their business.

Since HTC was not doing well in the Android game they can probably conentrate on WP quicker.. Dunno, just my theory.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I look at it this way. Sammy is making very good profits selling Android devices right now. They can build only so many devices at a time. If they start making Windows Phones, that's probably less Galaxy phones they can make. So they need to take their time to make sure they don't harm their business.

Since HTC was not doing well in the Android game they can probably conentrate on WP quicker.. Dunno, just my theory.
Exactly. Demand is so high for the Galaxy phones, they have to make sure they can meet that demand before devoting production time to WP. Can't really blame them. It seems like they at least want to stay in the WP game, but they make a ton of money off Android and they can't jeopardize that.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree that Samsung is likely going to try to create their own ecosystem.

Android is making them money right now, but they are not in control of where it goes. Yet they still have to spend money on support for Android.

It may take them another 2 or 3 yrs to get their own thing up and running. Until then, they still need revenue.

Samsung keeps WP in the mix so that Google can't dictate anything to them. Google might not be happy if they see Samsung looking at competing with their ecosystem. But if Google tries to force Samsung not to compete, Samsung could threaten to jump ship completely.

Google, in the mean time, will probably try to make Motorola and LG more relevant to reduce their dependency on Samsung's massive sales.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Sony should be making windows phone devices. Don't known why they bother with their **** show with android. The only reason I can think is that their ps3 is a direct competitor of the Xbox 360 but that'd not a good enough reason.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
This is one of the main reasons Samsung won't be getting a dime from me.

I hate Android and anyone who crusades for Android won't get my business if I can help it.
To make matters worse, Samsung loves to gum up and already flaky OS with their own crappy skins and layovers that just don't look or work well.
Samsung just has no sense of design or taste whatsoever. From their giant plasticky piece of crap phones that all look like the same curvy shiny crap, to their crappy UI skins.

u7H2l.jpg

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
This is one of the main reasons Samsung won't be getting a dime from me.

I hate Android and anyone who crusades for Android won't get my business if I can help it.
To make matters worse, Samsung loves to gum up and already flaky OS with their own crappy skins and layovers that just don't look or work well.
Samsung just has no sense of design or taste whatsoever. From their giant plasticky piece of crap phones that all look like the same curvy shiny crap, to their crappy UI skins.

http://i.imgur.com/u7H2l.jpg

what-he-said.jpg

anon(2255)

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
The UI on the Note2 is actually quite well done, but I prefer a pure, vanilla AOSP Android myself.

Back to the original topic: The Galaxy S3 was actually delayed for a bit because of production issues on the blue finish, and they actually changed it a bit for the US market. Could be the same thing happening.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
If MWC rumours are true, we will be seeing Nokia and HTC announce at least one handset sporting Portico, no?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Every WP8 device in existence will get that update. Right?

But how will it help WP or Samsung by promoting or releasing a handset 4 months after the OS release?

It really doesn't. I don't believe for an instant, that Samsung couldn't have gotten this device out earlier if they had deemed it important enough. For WP8 it would have been important, as it would have demonstrated that a leading smartphone manufacturer is backing and believes in WP8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb