WPCentral forums are changing

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Looks like the threads were merged?

Anyway lak611, I completely agree with you about helping others. I am new to this forum and WP8 also and have asked a lot of questions here and found great information. I even posted my negative experiences about battery life and why I needed a cover for my phone. But I didn't start the post with some baited title, and I haven't had anyone interpret my posts as trolling.

Ask genuine questions and do it in a way that isn't insulting and you will get helpful answers. However, if you converse like a spoiled 10 year old you will probably get some grief back.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
What? Their functions are almost identical. In fact, they ARE identical...

Ok so maybe I dropped the ball on this one, but they're really not techy at all. They get a phone just because the sales rep (or a techie friend like me) pushes it. They haven't a clue. So by drawing them here, they then know what support is available after they get their phone. Even with BlackBerries, Androids, and even iPhones, I get inundated with questions on how to do x or y...

mpelti

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting pretty tired of the "Love it of GTFO" attitude on these forums. No phone is perfect, and pointing out WP8 flaws is not trolling.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Pointing out flaws is not trolling at all. I think we have all had pretty good discussions about what could make WP even better. If you post with a title like "This camera sucks" or claim to want help then post a list of iPhone features and demand them... That is not productive and smells of trolls. Unfortunately our community is too nice and tries to give advice and help even to those who obviously don't use or want WP.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting pretty tired of the "Love it of GTFO" attitude on these forums. No phone is perfect, and pointing out WP8 flaws is not trolling.

Pointing out flaws is not trolling at all. I think we have all had pretty good discussions about what could make WP even better. If you post with a title like "This camera sucks" or claim to want help then post a list of iPhone features and demand them... That is not productive and smells of trolls. Unfortunately our community is too nice and tries to give advice and help even to those who obviously don't use or want WP.

Exactly this. It's because people basically demand our phones look and function just like the iPhone (essentially becoming another me too device), or have it super-open for everything (creating a clone of Android), that we say GTFO. If they make good suggestions, or they just want help with doing a particular thing, we will help them. Windows Phone was NEVER meant to be another Android or iPhone. If it becomes one of those, it loses its USP and then it's just another me-too OS with a lower app store. That will then spell the death of WP. When you factor in that a lot of people come here just to troll us and say WP is the worst thing ever (I kid you not, I've been told the HTC Wildfire is better than the HTC TITAN, just because the WF runs Android while the TITAN runs WP. In her eyes, even a BlackBerry Curve 8520 is better than the TITAN. She has a full on agenda against Microsoft evidently.)

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't want it to look like the iPhone and don't want super open sourced. However, when some things are going to be locked down by MS, preventing access by devs, then MS needs to do more to increase functionality of those areas/apps that 3rd party devs can't access. If we are going to be refused choice in certain areas (email, browser, calendar, keyboard, file system, etc) than MS needs to step up their game and make those areas the best they can possibly be. If not, let 3rd party devs give us choice, more features and functionality.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't want it to look like the iPhone and don't want super open sourced. However, when some things are going to be locked down by MS, preventing access by devs, then MS needs to do more to increase functionality of those areas/apps that 3rd party devs can't access. If we are going to be refused choice in certain areas (email, browser, calendar, keyboard, file system, etc) than MS needs to step up their game and make those areas the best they can possibly be. If not, let 3rd party devs give us choice, more features and functionality.

Oh yes, this I definitely agree with. I think all WP fans want WP to be the best it can possibly be. Unfortunately, for some people, they lose sight of what MS made WP to be. I agree, and as an example, the calendar needs stepping up (Give us Outlook-like options MS... Such as more control over repeats... I want to be able to create a task that repeats every 4 weeks). Wanting those improvements isn't too bad. However, people say "Oh it can't do this... WP needs to die!" - that sort of extremism. Or, they just fabricate stuff that they say it can't do when it can, just differently. We have that problem a lot, and that's why we get irate, and prone to misinterpreting certain posts.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
People don't want WP to be android or IOS . People want basic functions to work, people want what everyone else has but better. People want games ,apps, podcasts,notifications. People want live tiles to work. People want what they signed up for and they wanted it the day the signed up. I am one of those people. I left IOS because I didn't like it and my short time with a focus made me really like WP so I switched and if I didn't have issues with me phone in general I'd appreciate wp more. I like most people already knew the market place was thin but I thought apps would be added rather quickly but they are not. Granted its only been out 4 weeks. I know there's 126k apps but from what I've seen they look like grade school projects. That's the major disappointment for me. Also lack of support from twitter,Facebook,zynga,chilling and the big devs.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
This is a great community here. I'm one of the new ones and a recent iPhone convert. This is better than any online iPhone community I've seen.

These problem come with platform popularity.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I want to say a bunch of things on this topic.

Normally when I see a call out thread like this I will close it right away but the OP has stated his case in civil manner so this thread stays open. I feel we as a community need to debate this topic and decide. We are growing fast how we handle this growth is important. The growing number of "I hate this phone I'm leaving" (I will call these threads rants) threads has become a topic of concern to the Mod team. It is extremely difficult to discern between rant threads and those with people needing assistance to make a decision. We will come up with a solution that will not alienate anyone looking for help but will allow us as a community to not be overwhelmed with rants.

Quick pause here: I want to remind everyone that calling anyone a TROLL is against the forum rules. Read them its there. Lets don't do that.

Back on track now:

I have see two different scenarios here. One is where someone posts "I have returned my Windows Phone and got me an Other OS device and here is why I did that...". In this scenario I have advised my team to close the thread. This is a help forum if you are not asking for help with something and you are just ranting that's fine. We wont remove the thread but there is no need for continued debate on something that has already been decided. We love to read your opinion but this community can't help you with that so "Rant Over" thread closed. Please report threads like these so the mod team can do the right thing.

Sensation two is where someone starts with a rant and ends with have I made the wrong decision or something like that. Guys these people are looking for help. Its hard to ask a question nicely when you are pissed. We are all here trying to help lets give these people the benefit of the doubt. Lets start with asking helpful questions in a civil manner and see where the thread leads. This person might only have one post but that doesn't necessarily make him a troll. Think has this person just posted badly? I have seen a few in this forum go on the defensive way to early in a thread, don't be that guy. We are here to help so lets try to do that.

Oops! One more scenario. What about the person who opens a thread it is obvious that this person has done some research on Windows Phone because he is complaining about the 15 most common complaints about the OS. This guy has one post and is posting from tapitalk using his GS3. Troll right?! Probably is but how do we as a community handle this? What we need to do is start a civil debate about the facts. Post how sure we can't stay connected to WIFI but we have an app that does that and we have a guaranteed fix on the way. What do you know about the WP on screen keyboard? Here is some more information on the most advanced, award winning, on screen keyboard in any OS. (Link Here) These are just a couple of small example there are many more. If someone new to WP finds this thread and sees all the facts about WP what we have now and reads more about what is coming that person might be convince WP is the way to go. When this happens haven't we beaten the TROLL at his own game?

I want to read all the opinions on the OP's comments. Is this community changing? I don't think we are at least not in a bad way. I know we are growing we just need to manage the growth in a positive way. To do this I need everyone's support. Report posts, post in a civil manner and don't rush to judgment. Help those that need help and don't feed the Trolls. Remember every person in this forum needed help at one time or another.

Remember if you want to talk to me about any of this or if you have suggestions that you want to share in a more private manner send me a PM.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Dave, thank you!! I'd have been hard pressed to put this in a better way. We all chose WP because it was the most intelligent and educated decision we could make with the myriad of options present. I, like, I can only assume, do not enjoy the OM bashing, or bashing of any kind for that matter. Trolls thrive on the negativity the create, and we foster, otherwise, they'd simply abscond into the oblivion. You're right, this is OUR forum, and that brings a type of responsibility.

If you see a post and CAN offer advice or insight, by all means, please do. By comparison, our beloved WP is but a child needing nurturing, care and compassion. Soon, she will grow up and morph into a force to be reckoned with. But I ask, leave the negativity somewhere else folks, please.

Oh yeah, in re: Trolls..
A person would NOT have haters if they were doing bad, but only when they're doing good. Good enough to have made folks jealous. The best revenge is doing well.

I leave with this:

Don't hate, congratulate!! And, if you can, participate!!

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
As far as your one more scenario, many times a civil debate has been tried only to fall of deaf ears and regurgitated responses. And the inevitable being called a ******. The OP starts a thread, it gets locked, and he just starts another with the same agenda. Then admits he's just here to criticize. Is there really a need for that thread to live?

This place is great with many knowledgeable posters and some great ambassadors for the site and WP8. And I can only imagine what the mods are facing with the increase in traffic since the launch. One thing I do if there's a post I'm not too thrilled about is look at the posters post history. If every post is a variation of the same theme, I pretty much pay no attention to posts going forward. But there are those that might just be that post or topic we disagree on and that they are good posters that I'm glad to keep reading and might have missed out.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
As far as your one more scenario, many times a civil debate has been tried only to fall of deaf ears and regurgitated responses. And the inevitable being called a ******. The OP starts a thread, it gets locked, and he just starts another with the same agenda. Then admits he's just here to criticize. Is there really a need for that thread to live?

This place is great with many knowledgeable posters and some great ambassadors for the site and WP8. And I can only imagine what the mods are facing with the increase in traffic since the launch. One thing I do if there's a post I'm not too thrilled about is look at the posters post history. If every post is a variation of the same theme, I pretty much pay no attention to posts going forward. But there are those that might just be that post or topic we disagree on and that they are good posters that I'm glad to keep reading and might have missed out.

Here here Mav.. ;)

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

We are doing the best we can to get the jump on these types of noncontributory to the forum. If you feel this to be the case when you report a post add this to the comments. I would love it if you would do that. Myself and the Mod team will greatly appreciate the added assistance.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
i just want to say i am glad to see some positive come from this. thank you all that voiced your opinions. i am glad to see dave respond and will continue to help get rid of the ppl that just want to rant. (notice i didnt say troll). i think all of us looking out for this will help make this forum an even better place.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Ask Dave Blake about WeeBear. He was an AWESOME forum member who always had really positive things and was probably the most helpful when I came on board. Will never meet the guy, but I net he's be a great person to chase down a pint with some pretzels!

Search for his threads, he was a great WP ambassador!!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I just thought I'd mention the ignore list. If a particular poster is especially annoying to you, if you add that poster to your ignore list, you will not see any of his/her posts unless someone else quotes him/her.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I just thought I'd mention the ignore list. If a particular poster is especially annoying to you, if you add that poster to your ignore list, you will not see any of his/her posts unless someone else quotes him/her.

aw forty foot snake! I forgot about that gem! Thanks for reminding me!

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I for one have made a few of these "rant" posts/threads out of frustration.later on in those threads i basically had to defend myself/opinion/statement/issues. That's happening alot on these forums. People who legitimately are frustrated after switching to WP or the l920 make posts or threads about their issues or what not and get bombarded with troll,and anti WP stuff. Its almost like people on hear are always on the defensive but then jump on the offensive if one negative thing is said.
I have had a terrible experience so far with WP8 mostly due to crap hardware (l920) that I had purchased (2 times waiting for 3rd) so of course I'd be frustrated as a consumer and as someone who wants to like this new experience .my brother purchased a white l920 and is currently waiting for his 3rd he came over after seeing my phone and thought it was really nice compared to his i5. Well now he regrets it. Especially after selling his i5 to buy the l920.
maybe some type of sub forum is needed for the "troubled" "frustrated" or an actual l920 issues subforum so the 920 section won't be bombarded with negative or frustrated users and can be full of flower picking and rainbows and that the happy people talking about how perfect their new device is? (seriously)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb