Why you no have sd slot?

iPwnza

Banned
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Because they pack so much power into high-end devices that they can't make a removable cover.

They have SD cards on android because it's the opposite.

#DroidRage

Skeet1981

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
That doesn't really relate does it. The Bugatti Veyron still has doors and a hood! Down to 2GB on my 8x now and who knows what I'm going to need with updates and the like?!?

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
2gb? Damn, what does the 8x have? 8gb or 16gb or something?

You should store things in the cloud more :s .

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
2 Gb? I have 1.5 Gb LOL on a "16Gb" model. Doesn't bother me though, as I will just delete songs that I don't listen to. And any films I want to watch can be transferred and removed in rotation.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Why oh why oh why... Do they have expandable memory on the lower end devices. And not on the top of the range devices???

Unfortunately, they chose form over function on the high end devices. The unibody construction means we can't really open them up. It would have been nice if they could implement a door like they have for the SIM.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
2gb? Damn, what does the 8x have? 8gb or 16gb or something?

You should store things in the cloud more :s .

Maybe homeboy (or girl) doesn't have a huge data plan?

That's why I knew any of the WP not featuring expandable memory was not the phones for me. I don't have unlimited data and I rather have my stuff local anyway. Not have to rely on whether I have service or not

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I thought on the 820 you had to remove the back plate to install the card so was miffed to find it just had a slot at the bottom of the phone. I would like to see the next gen devices embrace SD cards cloud storage simply is not viable for everyone yet.

BokiV

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, its a shame, but with time it actually helped me not to put too much crap on my phone...I keep most of my stuff on SkyDrive, and these days you can get hotspot almost anywhere, so its becoming less and less of a problem for me

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Tony; perhaps. You can set it to only upload over wifi tho =)

That's convenient if there were a WiFi spot in places where there normally isn't. I have about 20 minute walk to work. There isn't a WiFi spot following me last I checked. My wife and I do alot of driving. I don't even know if such a thing exist, but our car isn't emitting a WiFi signal. Sure, spots are becoming more prevalent. But that's dependent on whether or not your staying stationary and even then, you hope its an open signal.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you look at Nokia's line-up, the differences between the "top of the range" device and the first "lower end device" with an SD slot are few. You lose .7mp and PureView in the camera, replaced with an in-all-other-aspects-exactly-the-same Carl Zeiss powered 8mp camera, and you get a smaller, lower-resolution yet still awesome PureBlack AMOLED 800x480 display (which is way better than the non-Retina iPhone displays on the 3GS and before). In all other respects, it's the same phone.

So while the 820 isn't the "top of the range" devices, I certainly wouldn't consider it a "lower end device".

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I thought on the 820 you had to remove the back plate to install the card so was miffed to find it just had a slot at the bottom of the phone.

You do have to remove the back on the 820; I believe that "slot" at the bottom of the phone is the speaker.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
That's convenient if there were a WiFi spot in places where there normally isn't. I have about 20 minute walk to work. There isn't a WiFi spot following me last I checked. My wife and I do alot of driving. I don't even know if such a thing exist, but our car isn't emitting a WiFi signal. Sure, spots are becoming more prevalent. But that's dependent on whether or not your staying stationary and even then, you hope its an open signal.

Youre telling me you go 16gig worth of pictures between WiFi connections? Thats impressive. I guess Im spoiled, we have wifi in most coffee-shops, i have it at home, theres one at work, etc.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Youre telling me you go 16gig worth of pictures between WiFi connections? Thats impressive. I guess Im spoiled, we have wifi in most coffee-shops, i have it at home, theres one at work, etc.

Not sure where pictures came into the equation. My concern for storage is about my 30+ gigs worth of music.

As far as WiFi connections go, my wife works for a university. We have an apartment on campus provided to us as part of her contract. So we have the schools WiFi access. Problem is it doesn't stay connected. You have to keep connecting which is very inconvenient. My work has WiFi. But I'm usually too busy to use it for anything other than quick emailing. And I don't frequent coffee shops except to grab a coffee or eat lunch. I'll use data to upload the a photo or two. And now that I'm on a shared plan, streaming is definitely not an option. If I'd could afford it, I would love to rely on the cloud. Its just more economically better to just dump all my music onto the phone and listen to it when I please

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3