Where's the features from Pocket PC, Windows Mobile 2003, WM5, WM6, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
In case you guys weren't aware, Microsoft has been making smartphones since the year 2000, 7 years before the iPhone came out. It had TONS of features to compete with the featureset of Symbian, Blackberry, and Palm Treo.

I can see why Google and Apple don't have all the features of those smartphones since they entered the smartphone market late, but why is Microsoft not putting the 12 years of features they've had in all those mobile platforms into Windows Phone? Where's the separate volumes? Where's the notification center? Where's the advanced email functionality? Why can't I directly attach a PDF to an email in WP8?

Is anybody out there old enough to remember that Microsoft was rolling out stylus-based smartphones WAYYYYY before the iPhone? Why are all those features suddenly gone? Why has Windows Phone been out for 2 years already and Microsoft still hasn't put those 12 years of legacy smartphone features into Windows Phone? Don't you guys think that Windows Phone could take off so much faster if Microsoft took advantage of those 12 years of features and rolled out the most feature packed smartphone on the market, making both iPhone and Android look like toys in comparison?

Where's all of this?

wm6-pro-home-screen.jpg

Seriously, guys, why are we suddenly ok with a company who has made advanced smartphones for 12 years suddenly roll out a smartphone with very few legacy smartphone features the same way Apple did with the iPhone?

Last edited:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't really care for old legacy functionality. I'd rather have the fresh, modern approach.

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't really care for old legacy functionality. I'd rather have the fresh, modern approach.
What's modern about not having the features you've had in your earlier products dating back to the year 2000?

I understand the UI is modern, but functionality is another thing.

I want Windows Phone to do well for the sake of competition, but recently I realized that Microsoft should have blown iPhone and Android away with their 7 year headstart with legacy smartphones like the HP iPAQ and they just aren't doing it. Why? Seriously. Why does Microsoft get a pass at ditching their legacy features as if they never existed?

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...because in the long run, Windows Mobile was a failure. Who wants to identify their shiny, sleek, awesome new product with a line of failures?

If Windows Mobile and all its features were really so awesome, the wPhone would have people lining up for miles to get the newest version every other year or so. But no, people are doing that for the iPhone.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm just expressing an opinion here. I'm pretty happy with the way that the phone works now. Added functionality would most probably just get in my way.

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
...because in the long run, Windows Mobile was a failure. Who wants to identify their shiny, sleek, awesome new product with a line of failures?

If Windows Mobile and all its features were really so awesome, the wPhone would have people lining up for miles to get the newest version every other year or so. But no, people are doing that for the iPhone.
Just because Windows Mobile was a failure does not mean that all of the features that people had back then should be wiped out.

You can have a fresh approach to the smartphone while still using the decade of experience to make a platform that is both easy to use and has everything people need to get the most out of their purchase.

Microsoft had the opportunity to roll out a smartphone that made the iPhone and Android phones look like a joke since they've been in the business for only 5 years and Microsoft has 12 years of catering to power users, IT people, enterprise users, etc, but Microsoft isn't rolling out that device. Why?

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm just expressing an opinion here. I'm pretty happy with the way that the phone works now. Added functionality would most probably just get in my way.
If anything, not adding functionality that has been around in Microsoft-created smartphones for 12 years is getting in the way of Windows Phone being the number 1 smartphone platform.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Just because Windows Mobile was a failure does not mean that all of the features that people had back then should be wiped out.

You can have a fresh approach to the smartphone while still using the decade of experience to make a platform that is both easy to use and has everything people need to get the most out of their purchase.

Microsoft had the opportunity to roll out a smartphone that made the iPhone and Android phones look like a joke since they've been in the business for only 5 years and Microsoft has 12 years of catering to power users, IT people, enterprise user, etc, but Microsoft isn't rolling out that device. Why?

They're catering to the consumers. The average Joe. Consumer-friendly smartphones are a very lucrative market and MS wants a slice of that pie.

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
They're catering to the consumers. The average Joe. Consumer-friendly smartphones are a very lucrative market and MS wants a slice of that pie.
Yes, I get that but why would Microsoft expect to differentiate itself from the new competition by putting out a phone in 2012 that has the featureset the iPhone had back in 2009?

Seriously, its 2012 and Windows Phone doesn't have things like separate volume controls, yet back in 2005, Windows Mobile 5 had separate volume controls.

Why would Microsoft gimp itself when it could easily make the competition look like kid's toys? They should be wiping the floor with the iPhone especially, but there's still more people buying the iPhone, even after 2 years of Windows Phone.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

It does if you want your sleek, shiny, awesome new product to NOT be identified with your previous, bigass failure product in any way.

has everything people need

There are many people who are perfectly satisfied with WP8; it gives those people everything they need. Microsoft is trying to do something new, something different, something that isn't like the iPhone or Android or what they've done for the past 12 years. Rehashing Windows Mobile would be distinctly counter-productive.

Accusations of fanboyism in 5... 4... 3... 2...

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
The current start screen is still as customizable and can show even more information than that start screen in the OP. Only difference is back then, the more stuff that was on that start screen the slower the device performed and to me that's a step ahead. With WP8 now on the NT kernel the possibilities are now limitless but gotta start somewhere. That being said its a little unfair to compare something that's on a new kernel for ARM devices to something that's been exhausted in capabilities long before WP.

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
The current start screen is still as customizable and can show even more information than that start screen in the OP. Only difference is back then, the more stuff that was on that start screen the slower the device performed and to me that's a step ahead. With WP8 now on the NT kernel the possibilities are now limitless but gotta start somewhere. That being said its a little unfair to compare something that's on a new kernel for ARM devices to something that's been exhausted in capabilities long before WP.
Yes, the interface is better, but that's simply not the same as the underlying functionality, which is just not there after 2 years. There's too many gripes that users have with Windows Phone on this very forum that could have been avoided if Microsoft had ported the legacy features they had for over a decade to Windows Phone.

IRehashing Windows Mobile would be distinctly counter-productive.
Nobody is saying that Microsoft should rehash Windows Mobile. I'm saying that the underlying smartphone functionality (they're both still smartphones, right? ) of Windows Mobile should be embedded into Windows Phone so that new adopters don't feel limited in what they can do on it.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
In case you guys weren't aware, Microsoft has been making smartphones since the year 2000, 7 years before the iPhone came out. It had TONS of features to compete with the featureset of Symbian, Blackberry, and Palm Treo.

I can see why Google and Apple don't have all the features of those smartphones since they entered the smartphone market late, but why is Microsoft not putting the 12 years of features they've had in all those mobile platforms into Windows Phone? Where's the separate volumes? Where's the notification center? Where's the advanced email functionality? Why can't I directly attach a PDF to an email in WP8? Where is all that stuff that I

Is anybody out there old enough to remember that Microsoft was rolling out stylus-based smartphones WAYYYYY before the iPhone? Why are all those features suddenly gone? Why has Windows Phone been out for 2 years already and Microsoft still hasn't put those 12 years of legacy smartphone features into Windows Phone? Don't you guys think that Windows Phone could take off so much faster if Microsoft took advantage of those 12 years of features and rolled out the most feature packed smartphone on the market, making both iPhone and Android look like toys in comparison?

Where's all of this?

View attachment 24375

Seriously, guys, why are we suddenly ok with a company who has made advanced smartphones for 12 years suddenly roll out a smartphone with very few legacy smartphone features the same way Apple did with the iPhone?

In case you weren't aware, Windows Phone 7 came out in 2010 and we had all the discussion about WM vs WP then. So I'm not really sure why this tired debate is coming up again. I assume it's purely to troll. It's been two years. Either stick with WP, jump ship, or whip out your HD2. Don't know what else to tell you.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I dont see why some people get so defensive when it comes to the WP OS. To bulk at those who think some good features should be available on WP8, just because it is noted that even Windows Mobile had some of these features, is just silly and comes off as very defensive.

The comment about more features getting in your way was just classic....in a I cant believe you actually said that sort of way. Perhaps you dont care for more features, some that shouldve been there from day one, doesnt mean many others dont care. I dont really think theyd get in your way either, Im sure you can just ignore them....but of course if they were there, I bet youd take full advantage.

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
In case you weren't aware, Windows Phone 7 came out in 2010 and we had all the discussion about WM vs WP then. So I'm not really sure why this tired debate is coming up again. I assume it's purely to troll. It's been two years. Either stick with WP, jump ship, or whip out your HD2. Don't know what else to tell you.
The issue is that by now, 2 years later, Microsoft should have made Windows Phone as functional as their legacy offerings to make their new offering an objectively superior alternative to iPhone and Android.

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok this might be a little out of topic but Some people don't understand that in order to move forward you have to kill some stuff that even if it worked out in the past doesn't mean that is going to work well in the present or future because of compatibility. Example, Windows Vista was a failure but it was the base to create Windows 7 which was successful. XP was successful and is old but is still being use all over the world everywhere you go. Microsoft is going to kill XP in a year or two and it was very good for them and generated a lot of revenue. Why kill it?

As a IT student recently graduated i can tell you that everything is moving forward and in order to be successful and be within the time you have to leave certain stuff in the past. They made me memorize how to do subneting in the mind , when you go to the work field you use a calculator. Ahhh Technology always moving forward at an accelerated pace.

anon(730643)

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Would it be to simple to point to their change in architecture...WP7 was a nearly built from the ground up. Alot of those mobile api's simply didn't cary over or likely wasn't compatible. They switched out the core to windows so maybe many of those features will come back over the years.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Yes, the interface is better, but that's simply not the same as the underlying functionality, which is just not there after 2 years. There's too many gripes that users have with Windows Phone on this very forum that could have been avoided if Microsoft had ported the legacy features they had for over a decade to Windows Phone.

Nobody is saying that Microsoft should rehash Windows Mobile. I'm saying that the underlying smartphone functionality (they're both still smartphones, right? ) of Windows Mobile should be embedded into Windows Phone so that new adopters don't feel limited in what they can do on it.

Actually I feel like I'm more productive on my HD7 (and will be even more so when I get my 8X) than I ever was on my TP2, and Dell Axim X51v. To be fair there are also a number of features that iPhone lacks that WP has and is exactly why I would never get an iPhone.

I dont see why some people get so defensive when it comes to the WP OS. To bulk at those who think some good features should be available on WP8, just because it is noted that even Windows Mobile had some of these features, is just silly and comes off as very defensive.

The comment about more features getting in your way was just classic....in a I cant believe you actually said that sort of way. Perhaps you dont care for more features, some that shouldve been there from day one, doesnt mean many others dont care. I dont really think theyd get in your way either, Im sure you can just ignore them....but of course if they were there, I bet youd take full advantage.
My guess to people being defensive is because of the unnecessary bashing WP gets on other sites so they come here as a safe place to discuss WP. It's understandable and discussions can get out of hand as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb