4" WP8 Phone?

richard_c

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I recently got the HTC 8S yesterday and swiftly returned it and got a full refund today as I was disappointed at the serious lack of storage. I know it only came with 4GB but didn't realise the OS would take up 2.7GB of that. I worked out how much space the apps I want would take but forgot to calculate that apps cache data, so by the end of it I was down to 400MB of free space and that's just from new apps without any cached data. So as much as it pained me to get rid of the 8S because it look really good and ran so smooth, 400MB of free space afer adding a few apps and 1 small 10MB game as terrible.

So my question is are there any more 4" WP8 phones available but that have at least 8GB of storage? I don't want anything bigger as they feel like bricks in my hand. I really hope there are some more 4" phones being made because I really want to move away from the iPhone and go to WP.

I do know the 620 will be available next year but I got to say it looks like a fisher price toy.

scarlet0pimp

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Thought you could add an SD card to the 8s?
As for other phones I don't think there is another right now, I would imagine the replacement for the 710 will be a 4" since Nokia have the smaller 620 and the larger 820, the 720 should fit right in between. When that is going to come out though is a mystery.

richard_c

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah there is a SD card slot for movies, music and pictures but not apps sadly. MS should of made 8GB the minimum requirement for all windows phones.

richard_c

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry but I don't consider it a budget phone. I've said before if you compare the specs its the same as the iPhone 4. In some parts the specs are better. Its a mid range phone with a low end amount of space.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
See if you can get your hands on a Lumia 620 when they release sometime early next year. After Asia gets it, Europe gets it shortly thereafter... I take it you're in Europe because you were able to get a 4S

JimboJones2268

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I have 440Mb of apps on my 8S. I do not have anything like 100 apps. No idea where that average number comes from but it does not ring true for me. In addition, all app data has to be sorted in the space provided with the phone. Plus, all system cache data goes into that space as well. This lack of storage is a real disappointment for me. The only one so far for this phone.

I don't get why a 4" phone shouldn't get decent specs, I don want a monster of a phone!

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Some large games are 100 megs, but in general, the average app size for Windows Phone is 4 megs. People don't understand that phones aren't PCs... a little storage goes a long way.

And if you want a monster 4" phone, you're pretty much stuck with iOS, alas. Consumers want larger displays, and don't consider small phones to be premium. It reminds me of the US car market of the 80s, 90s and 2000s.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I recently got the HTC 8S yesterday and swiftly returned it and got a full refund today as I was disappointed at the serious lack of storage. I know it only came with 4GB but didn't realise the OS would take up 2.7GB of that. I worked out how much space the apps I want would take but forgot to calculate that apps cache data, so by the end of it I was down to 400MB of free space and that's just from new apps without any cached data. So as much as it pained me to get rid of the 8S because it look really good and ran so smooth, 400MB of free space afer adding a few apps and 1 small 10MB game as terrible.

So my question is are there any more 4" WP8 phones available but that have at least 8GB of storage? I don't want anything bigger as they feel like bricks in my hand. I really hope there are some more 4" phones being made because I really want to move away from the iPhone and go to WP.

I do know the 620 will be available next year but I got to say it looks like a fisher price toy.

You should check out the 8X. It's got a 4.3 inch screen, but it's a different aspect ratio than other 4.3 inch screens, so it's narrower and taller. I think you would like the size of it. Also, it has 16GB internal memory.

JimboJones2268

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
The 8X is worth looking at. But it is quite a bit larger than the 8S. It is a gorgeous device though.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

richard_c

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Some large games are 100 megs, but in general, the average app size for Windows Phone is 4 megs. People don't understand that phones aren't PCs... a little storage goes a long way.

And if you want a monster 4" phone, you're pretty much stuck with iOS, alas. Consumers want larger displays, and don't consider small phones to be premium. It reminds me of the US car market of the 80s, 90s and 2000s.

You totally mis read the last comment. Yes the average size is 4mb, but thats just for the app. So take facebook for example, its 4mb to download it but as your using it day to day it downloads data and caches data and then eventually the app can take up to 50mb.

We dont want 4" phones with monster specs but just with 8GB of internal memory which matches what should be in a mid range phone.

Also it makes me laugh how consumer want bigger phones. Bigger isn't always better. 10 years ago people said phones were like bricks in their pockets. Then we got decent smartphones like the iPhone which were powerful and compact. Now weve gone full circle and people have phones the size of house bricks and its bloody stupid in my eyes.

I'm seriously going to look at the 8X as it is taller and slimmer a lot like the iPhone 5 which means I should be able to hold it with 1 hand with ease.
I like the specs of the 620 but I think the design is ugly.

I heard a rumor that there might be more Nokia devices being release as there currently isn't a success to the Lumia 710, so would Nokia release the 720?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The Nokia Lumia 820/822/810 is the logical choice for you.

It's barely bigger than the 8S, but with more screen real estate.

You get 8 GB of onboard storage, plus an SD card slot, all the Nokia exclusive apps you didn't get on the 8S, and you get the option for wireless charging and the ability to swap out the back plate to change colors/texture etc.

See size comparison below. The 820/822/810 is almost the same size as the 8S, whereas the 8X is considerably taller/longer than both.

ATtJ6.png

richard_c

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
The Nokia Lumia 820/822/810 is the logical choice for you.

It's barely bigger than the 8S, but with more screen real estate.

You get 8 GB of onboard storage, plus an SD card slot, all the Nokia exclusive apps you didn't get on the 8S, and you get the option for wireless charging and the ability to swap out the back plate to change colors/texture etc.

See size comparison below. The 820/822/810 is almost the same size as the 8S, whereas the 8X is considerably taller/longer than both.

http://i.imgur.com/ATtJ6.png

I think you are right. I like the 820 and the 8X. I like the design if the 8X more and that's it's not as wide. I'm not the biggest fan of the 820 design but it dies come with an SD Card slot and all the exclusive Nokia apps.
I will have to save up for a while though as the price is out if my rang at the moment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786