Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    Developer

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    Please, someone, explain this to me. First or all, why does Bluetooth have to be enabled for tap+send?

And whenever I tap my phone to a Nexus 7 to share a picture, it makes the noise, and then on the Nexus 7 it says new tags collected and "windows.com/sd"

Why can't I send my image? My nexus 7 is the only nfc device I have besides my 920.

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by baileystein View Post
    Please, someone, explain this to me. First or all, why does Bluetooth have to be enabled for tap+send?

And whenever I tap my phone to a Nexus 7 to share a picture, it makes the noise, and then on the Nexus 7 it says new tags collected and "windows.com/sd"

Why can't I send my image? My nexus 7 is the only nfc device I have besides my 920.
    if nfc isnt working for you, download photobeamer. go to photobeamer.com on your nexus 7. when the barcode pops up, open photobeamer on your 920. go to the pic you want on your nexus 7. scan the bardcode on your nexus 7 with your 920. bam your pic is on your nexus 7. you can save the pic on your nexus 7 screen.

I found it here somewhere in the forum...NFC will only transfer links, but not files to Android phones (from Windows phones). So you can transfer a playlist, but not a file.

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    My theory on the bluetooth needing to be on is that when you doing an NFC from one windows phone to the other it initiates the connection with NFC then transfers it via bluetooth. As far as transfer between WP and Android its not gonna work for photos either way. The only transfers ive gotten to work between my Nexus 7 and Lumia 822 are contacts and links
    that's incorrect
    listen to me I know...Bluetooth has to be on because that's how the file is actually sent....tap+send and nfc.....NFC is used just to make the connection with another phone...Bluetooth always will be how the file is sent. Make sure on your Nexus that wifi-direct, nfc and any other setting that needs to be on....my 8x sends music, pictures, websites, videos just fine to my s3, trust me if your settings are correctly on your wp8 Bluetooth & tap to send....then its the android device
    then you have something wrong with your settings tooo...I been able to send videos, pictures, music, links everything from my 8x to my s3

How do you share videos from the Xbox Music+Video section? I don't get that option in that area.

Also - nfc didn't share the music from my or my wife's 920 to our friends SG3.
    Last edited by addicusbrown; 12-13-2012 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tebugg View Post
    if nfc isnt working for you, download photobeamer. go to photobeamer.com on your nexus 7. when the barcode pops up, open photobeamer on your 920. go to the pic you want on your nexus 7. scan the bardcode on your nexus 7 with your 920. bam your pic is on your nexus 7. you can save the pic on your nexus 7 screen.
    Fyi that's not lossless- I wouldn't use that if I were you.
    Sent from my 820 using Board Express

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Turn NFC on, Turn Bluetooth on, Tap, Click.., Turn NFC and Bluetooth off.. so much hussle. I had high hopes for nfc tech but way its implemented (+that it cannot change phones settings in wp) let me down terribly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morq View Post
    Turn NFC on, Turn Bluetooth on, Tap, Click.., Turn NFC and Bluetooth off.. so much hussle. I had high hopes for nfc tech but way its implemented (+that it cannot change phones settings in wp) let me down terribly.
    Keep NFC and Bluetooth on always and then all you do is Tap, Click, done. No hassle. There is always a choice.

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Last time I tried that, it asked me to pair with android device when wanted to trade info with +1 to hassle again!
    Also both bluetooth and nfc drain a bit of power from the battery so i dont really fancy keeping them running all the time.
    Last edited by Morq; 12-13-2012 at 06:08 AM.

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Even if I am standing beside someone I share something through the cloud, NFC is a pain. I wish that WP8 included p2p networks like Android, maybe that would make it work a little better.

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    I'm having the same issue. Android device says "new tag collected" "windows.com/SD". Works fine with two 920s but not with nexus 4. It seems like the nexus 4 is the issue as whats on the screen makes zero sense. But I wonder which device is causing the issue or both? I also noticed that the nexus 4 doesn't have the option to share a photo via NFC when you click the sharing icon so maybe nexus 4 doesn't support it.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    NFC does not transfer the data, it instruct Bluetooth how to send the information. You can accomplish the file transfer without using NFC by simply pairing your Nexus 7 and Windows Phone together using Bluetooth. Then go to the picture on your Windows Phone, click "..." then click Share, then click bluetooth. Accept the photo on your Nexus 7 and Whalla! Your picture is transferred to the Nexus 7 via bluetooth (which is what NFC would have done in the first place). I know its a bit more cumbersome to do it this way, but at least it works. For future photos, simply go to Setting - Bluetooth on your phone and tap your Nexus 7. This will pair your Nexus 7 and Windows Phone. Then repeat steps above to send the picture.
  16. tgp

Global Posts
    2,530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Morq View Post
    Yeah that's a WP limitation. You must turn on Bluetooth. Android will automatically turn Bluetooth on, and turn it off when the transfer is done. Just make sure Bluetooth is turned on on your WP and you should be good.
    Last edited by tgp; 01-24-2014 at 04:22 PM.
    Current lineup: Nexus 5 (primary device), Lumia 920, Moto G, and Lumia 520. There, I did it; I updated my signature!

Global Posts
    597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Microsoftjunkie View Post
    then you have something wrong with your settings tooo...I been able to send videos, pictures, music, links everything from my 8x to my s3
    You're the first person I've actually come across to state that it is possible to share content other than contacts, URLs, etc using NFC between WP8 devices and Android devices. Everywhere that I've read says it isn't possible.