WP8/920 in Canada: Does all the exclusive apps and functions work?

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
For example, Nokia Drive, exclusive apps, and augmented reality thingy? Do they all work for Canadians as well?

Just wanna know because the Lumia 920 is 50% this weekend at Rogers.. I really wanted a white one but I might settle with a black after all, and maybe just cover up with something like this BodyGuardz Armor Carbon Fiber for Nokia Lumia 920 - Windows Phone Cases

Wonder if there's pics in the wild of people using those skins by the way... would the white one look alright on a black phone?

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
The 920 is even cheaper ID you get it from best buy ($0.01).

Good question by the way. I'm especially interested in Nokia Reading.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Paulsalame

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I actually found a way to get Nokia Music to work. Just switch the phone region to United States and look in the store for Nokia Music and it should show up there. It works fine for me but no unlimited 1 year music subscription. After that just switch the region back to Canada.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I actually found a way to get Nokia Music to work. Just switch the phone region to United States and look in the store for Nokia Music and it should show up there. It works fine for me but no unlimited 1 year music subscription. After that just switch the region back to Canada.
Wow awesome tip thanks! Gotta make sure I do that when i buy the phone

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
The 920 is even cheaper ID you get it from best buy ($0.01).

Good question by the way. I'm especially interested in Nokia Reading.

Oh! If I buy it from Bestbuy, do I also have to pay the upgrade fee? How does it work with Rogers' contract and stuff?

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Oh! If I buy it from Bestbuy, do I also have to pay the upgrade fee? How does it work with Rogers' contract and stuff?

Good question. I want to know that too. You could pay rogers the early cancellation fee or pay off your flex tab and then go for the best buy offer I guess. But in any case I want to continue with the plan I have since it's discounted and better than all the new ones on offer.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Good question. I want to know that too. You could pay rogers the early cancellation fee or pay off your flex tab and then go for the best buy offer I guess. But in any case I want to continue with the plan I have since it's discounted and better than all the new ones on offer.

I'm going to Yorkdale for all three store today, might come home with a 920 xD Will update this post once I come home..
I heard the Bestbuy contract is a different contract that might complicate things since I'm still not off contract with Rogers (of course, till you die your contract will be over)

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to Yorkdale for all three store today, might come home with a 920 xD Will update this post once I come home..
I heard the Bestbuy contract is a different contract that might complicate things since I'm still not off contract with Rogers (of course, till you die your contract will be over)

Could you check if the official Nokia cases are in too?

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Update:

1. I got my L920!!! Rogers and Bestbuy were both out of stock, so I got it from the MS store, they're nicer and cooler anyway :p

2. No matter where you buy it, it's pretty much the same deal for Canadians right now. Same pricing same phone. However, I got it during the promotion this weekend so the phone was only $50, plus the early upgrade fee + tax it came up to around $150, but apparently there's another $50 online rebate I can do on Rogers, so the total was $108. Sadly, that also means another 3 pathetic years of Rogers T_T

3. No free accessories with purchase of WP8 right now, maybe they had something before but not at the moment.

4. The store has the incipio cases for $25

5. No wireless charging plate in stock right now, only the wireless charging stand in black.

6. I'm proud of this, haha: The first 920 he gave me I turned it on to check for defects, and then I remember ppl mentioning the yellowness on the buttons/batch numbers, so I asked him if it was the newest batch/shipment, it was a 46/2012, the guy was honest and great and told me there should be a 47/2012 and went to get it for me. So if you are thinking about getting it from MS store, this might be a good tip.

That's pretty much it for now, LOVING the phone, no problem what so ever so far, coming from a first gen WP7 (focus), everything feels soooo much faster and smoother. Loving the new colours, animations, homescreen.... the list goes on.
One thing I notice is the focus assist light is set as ON as default, which I don't necessarily like, but I found out the way to turn it off.

Ask away if there's any questions, I talked with them for like an hour today so I should know quite a bit, haha!

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Awesome! Congrats on the purchase!

The Rogers flextab thing is $11.81 per month so if you were to pay off the device after 2 years in order to get another device it would be $141.72 or $160 after tax which isn't too bad. I'm sure you would be able to sell the device for that much then or even $100.

Were the incipio cases just the black ones or was there cyan too? Did you get one?

What's your take on the black color?

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Awesome! Congrats on the purchase!

The Rogers flextab thing is $11.81 per month so if you were to pay off the device after 2 years in order to get another device it would be $141.72 or $160 after tax which isn't too bad. I'm sure you would be able to sell the device for that much then or even $100.

Were the incipio cases just the black ones or was there cyan too? Did you get one?

What's your take on the black color?

Cool info.! I'll take a note on that for sure
They have all 3 colours available, but I had to ask them for the cyan, it's not on display for some strange reason. I didn't buy one because I figured I would search online to find some more cases before I decide what to go with, someone in the 920 forum mentioned you can get pretty much exactly the same thing without the incipio logo on ebay for like 5 dollars. He let me try the case on, and it looked pretty sleek.

The black actually looks MUCH better in person, AND, much better than the sample phones (the ones they have at Rogers is just plain UGLY, way to sell your phones *******!) My cousins who went with me thought the white is nicer too, but he changed his mind when he saw the real phone. It's classy and cool, plus if you prefer the Matte finish then it's perfect.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Wait are you saying that the dummy units of the black 920 look much crappier than the actual device?

What do you think would look better: black 920 with cyan incipio case or yellow 920?

How are you finding the keyboarding? And one handed?

Last edited:

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes the dummy phones at Rogers look absolutely terrible. Dunno what's wrong with it but my phone definitely does NOT look like it
I personally think the black with cyan would be better. Yellow is definitely unique and if you like your phone to grab bit more attention then it's a great choice. Personally, it was between white and black for me. (maybe the cyan or grey, which will never be available in Canada through carriers I think-.-)

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
No it wasn't.. that's why I had no option but take the black one cuz i NEED a phone. I'm glad with my choice though, the black is real nice, though not the funnest colour

anon(5399450)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You should have tried to talk to rogers first before upgrading - and its probably not too late, that "early upgrade" fee is garbage and they will almost always give you at least 50% off of it, and sometimes waive it entirely. In my case, I believe it was some ridiculous $250 early upgrade fee, I called and was immediately offered 50% off of that, politely asked to be transferred to a manager and got it completely waived.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos