4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Daniel Ratcliffe
  • 1 Post By Daniel Ratcliffe
  1. snaqvi91's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    386 Posts
    Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    So I'm in a WiFi zone almost all the time. What I do most of the time on my phone is instant messaging (whatsapp), read twitter feeds, web browsing (upto 20 pages a day) and email. So if I were to get an LTE WP8 device, would 1GB be enough for me?

    For YouTube I would only watch when in a WiFi zone.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  2. lottidah's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    I've had my WP for exactly a month. I'm always on WiFi at home, cell network at work. I've played with my phone more than usual since it's new and I've only used 396 Mb of data over a month. And that includes streaming music over cell while at work a few days. I would think you'd be fine, given what you've said.
  3. snaqvi91's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    386 Posts
    Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #3  
    OK so even if I were to use LTE, have continuous syncing for email, send a few photos (average 3 a day) to folk over kik, WLM, whatsapp, Facebook or whatever, web browse up to 30 pages a day, even then I would probably be safe within 1GB?

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  4. badMojo69's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    605 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,365 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    It is until it isn't. Having said that I've never used over 1GB, but I don't stream much of anything, but I do surf the web.
  5. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Yes, if you're on Wi-Fi most of the time and the usage is what you describe I think you'd be fine.

    I have a 3GB plan and I rarely use much more than 1 GB.
  6. snaqvi91's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    386 Posts
    Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #6  
    What if I keep WiFi turned off in order to save battery and get the super fast LTE speeds? Would it still be enough?

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  7. 64GUNSHIP's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    229 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Been on WP since launch and only ever used 1 GB with heavy browsing in a month. Throw in Xbox Music streaming though and that number goes through the roof - close to 2 GB just from music this month. Good thing I've got a 6 GB plan.
  8. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by snaqvi91 View Post
    What if I keep WiFi turned off in order to save battery and get the super fast LTE speeds? Would it still be enough?

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Eh... Maybe. It depends on how you use your phone. 1 GB with no wi-fi is good only for some fairly light use. If you stream video or music at all, you'll chew that up in no time. I have a 3 GB plan, but I use wi-fi wherever possible and I still go over 1 GB most months.
  9. scottd34's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    best thing you can do is go with 1gb and monitor your data usage. most carriers give you a way to trakc your usage. vzw has the my verizon app, and calling #data in addition to the website.. i cant imagine that the others wouldnt have a similar setup.

    best anyone can do is estimate, but watching your usage while you use the phone the way you use it is the only way to know for sure.
  10. david90531's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,045 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    If you don't watch YouTube or stream other videos or music with it, then it should be fine. For me I usually use around 2GB doing regular emailing browsing apps downloading and watch some videos. Now with my new 920 I will even tether for my tablet so I w probably will go over 2Gb
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express
  11. kevin2577's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    283 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    The nice thing about modern data plans is that they aren't contractually locked, you can go up and down as needed. Follow your usage like some people have said and if after 2 or 3 billing cycles you'll see a trend emerge
  12. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    25,670 Posts
    Global Posts
    47,751 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by snaqvi91 View Post
    What if I keep WiFi turned off in order to save battery and get the super fast LTE speeds? Would it still be enough?

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    It really depends on what you'll be doing while using LTE. For instance, if you would be streaming audio or video that could eat up data really quickly.

    I know what you're saying about slow WiFi. I was at the car dealership today for service. They have slow WiFi.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A327195.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	24662

    I wasn't streaming audio/video, so the slow WiFi speed didn't matter. However, if I wanted to watch Netflix (which uses a lot of data), I probably would have turned off WiFi on my device. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, and I usually use around 3 - 3.5 GB a month.
  13. HeyCori's Avatar
    Mod Emeritus

    Posts
    6,130 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,179 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    I'm also on a 1GB plan and like you I'm blanketed in WiFi. 20 days into my monthly allowance and I just hit 300MBs. My data usage isn't insane, some streaming video, picture uploads, emails, web browsing. Most of which is done on WiFi, so rarely do get close to 1GB.

    Several months ago, back when I still had a higher 2GB plan, I turned WiFi off to see how much data I really used. Found out I use about 1.5GBs a month. Knowing that, I felt safe dropping to a 1GB plan.

    However, it kills the enjoyment a little bit because I started counting MBs whenever I wasn't on WiFi. I became very hesitant about using data. I quickly found that I wasn't watching videos or loading graphic heavy websites because 1GB isn't a lot. What if I have a few spikes in usage during that month? What if I had to use Nokia/Bing Maps? Mapping data is murder on your data plan.

    Do you want to constantly monitor your data 30 days a month? The fear of going over is something to consider. And you may not know how much it's going to bug you until you really know how much data you burn through.

    As for me, I'm hopping ship soon to a cheaper bill and higher data cap so I can go back to streaming vids without fear of overages. After all, for as much as I pay, I should be able to use my phone worry free. Doing otherwise kinda defeats the purpose of buying it, right?
  14. smartrthanu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    We have two windows phones in my house. I have the 3gb plan and my wife have the 300mb plan (att). I typically use around 1.5-2gb but i stream a lot of music via LTE. My wife uses about 250mb but is on WiFi most of the time. I think you'll be fine if use WiFi a majority of the time.
  15. Ali Babba's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    162 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    1GB was enough for me. 3 email accounts, light surfing, occasional app downloads, light map use, some XB live games. 500MB is all I burned. I saved large app downloads for when I was on WiFi and use WiFi at home, work not at all.
  16. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,046 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,703 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8 Dash View Post
    I'm also on a 1GB plan and like you I'm blanketed in WiFi. 20 days into my monthly allowance and I just hit 300MBs. My data usage isn't insane, some streaming video, picture uploads, emails, web browsing. Most of which is done on WiFi, so rarely do get close to 1GB.

    Several months ago, back when I still had a higher 2GB plan, I turned WiFi off to see how much data I really used. Found out I use about 1.5GBs a month. Knowing that, I felt safe dropping to a 1GB plan.

    However, it kills the enjoyment a little bit because I started counting MBs whenever I wasn't on WiFi. I became very hesitant about using data. I quickly found that I wasn't watching videos or loading graphic heavy websites because 1GB isn't a lot. What if I have a few spikes in usage during that month? What if I had to use Nokia/Bing Maps? Mapping data is murder on your data plan.

    Do you want to constantly monitor your data 30 days a month? The fear of going over is something to consider. And you may not know how much it's going to bug you until you really know how much data you burn through.

    As for me, I'm hopping ship soon to a cheaper bill and higher data cap so I can go back to streaming vids without fear of overages. After all, for as much as I pay, I should be able to use my phone worry free. Doing otherwise kinda defeats the purpose of buying it, right?
    I'd reckon even if I was on a 16GB plan I'd start counting the MB. Despite the fact I use around ~2GB/mth. Fortunately for me, being on Three, I get a jaw dropping 1000GB a month. I tried hammering the network out the wazoo. I think the highest I got was 10GB. My friend, who has the same plan as me, managed 83GB in a month. Neither of us received any extra charges or got throttled.
    HeyCori likes this.
  17. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    25,670 Posts
    Global Posts
    47,751 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    I'd reckon even if I was on a 16GB plan I'd start counting the MB. Despite the fact I use around ~2GB/mth. Fortunately for me, being on Three, I get a jaw dropping 1000GB a month. I tried hammering the network out the wazoo. I think the highest I got was 10GB. My friend, who has the same plan as me, managed 83GB in a month. Neither of us received any extra charges or got throttled.
    Wow! That's amazing. AT&T U-Verse and Comcast do not even allow broadband users so much data.
  18. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,046 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,703 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Wow! That's amazing. AT&T U-Verse and Comcast do not even allow broadband users so much data.
    Well on Three, it's actually unlimited. They just say 1000GB is the most one person can use in a single month on 3G.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  19. gsquared's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,368 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,374 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    This is something you will ultimately need to determine for yourself. I rarely use Wi-Fi and only use around 300-400 MB's per month. I stream music in my car and the normal automatic updating of apps. If you are gaming or watch video expect the monthly useage to be much higher.
  20. rockstarzzz's Avatar

    Posts
    4,883 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,888 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  

Similar Threads

  1. Will 512 MB RAM be enough for non-flagship WP8 devices??
    By Ash_Biz in forum Upcoming & Rumored Windows Phones
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-24-2013, 11:55 AM
  2. will the site be getting a name change soon?
    By shingi_70 in forum Site Feedback & Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-18-2012, 02:28 PM
  3. will the site be getting a name change soon?
    By shingi_70 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-18-2012, 02:28 PM
  4. Will this device be ..
    By Rovietka in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-11-2012, 06:03 AM

Posting Permissions

";