Which do you prefer? WP8 home screen vs WP7

wpfan8

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Just out of curiosity which start screen do you prefer and why? For me do like WP8 home screen but not as much compared to WP7 start screen. The reason being it looks a lot slicker and retro/cool with the black strip on the right hand side. Pretty much everything else is the same except the kernels. But pretty much wanted to hear WP fan opinions :grin:. On a side note, I was using a samsung focus but switched to an iphone 5. I was looking into the lumia 920 but instead I am going to wait out until the surface phone is available.

Sam Sabri

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
When we first saw the WP8 start screen this summer I wasn't sold on it. It slowly grew on me though. The small tiles are beyond useful for me. I missed the negative space, but I like the new symmetry a lot.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I honestly didn't think it was possible to like the WP7 start screen more than WP8. Wasted space and less productivity per inch plague the WP7 start screen. It still brings me joy to look at the older layout, but merely for the nostalgia factor.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I missed the negative space, but I like the new symmetry a lot.

Just place medium tiles on the left side, downward in a coloumn, then have a coloumn of small tiles directly to the right of that, then leave the last open as a gap. Boom: negative space :) .

edit:

2qizd7b.png

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Aye, I agree. I get SO MUCH AWESOME on my 920 screen contra my 800 screen. The 800 is what... 4 full tiles and 2 half tiles per screenview? Dislike the WP7.5 screen far more than for instance Android and iOS, the WP8 startscreen is far better than all of those three.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
Once you get things adjusted just right... the Windows Phone 8 Start Screen. I like having my contacts using the smaller tiles to fit them four across. Then there's the large tile for Amazing Weather that actually has a written forecast.

The nice thing about it all is that if you do prefer the look and feel of the Windows Phone 7 Start Screen, there's nothing stopping you from using only the medium tiles on WP8.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
On a side note, I was using a samsung focus but switched to an iphone 5. I was looking into the lumia 920 but instead I am going to wait out until the surface phone is available.
I'm still using my Focus and although I really want a yellow 920, the low availability of such phone coupled with some of the "issues" of WP8 and the 920 itself has made it easier for me to wait a little longer. I'm going to wait at least until Portico is released. I have a feeling we'll hear about new phones during MWC and those new phones will come out in April 2013. At this point, 2 more months of waiting (for MWC) won't kill me.

I honestly didn't think it was possible to like the WP7 start screen more than WP8.
Neither did I. WP8 Start screen it's SO much more customizable than WP7s.

wpfan8

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I just like how it looks but yes you are correct tho in regards to customization on the start screen. I am still holding off till MWC. I see a very bright future for WP=D.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720