Question about Skype

Sam Sabri

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Just sign in once with Skype and that's it. Skype is still in 'beta', but should take calls and messages in the background.

kentlim

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Still quite disappointed that this is not fully integrated with the People Hub - in the way that you can directly do skype calls in People Hub. Looks like we still need to start Skype App now to do that?

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Still quite disappointed that this is not fully integrated with the People Hub - in the way that you can directly do skype calls in People Hub. Looks like we still need to start Skype App now to do that?

You can call if they are on skype as a user. You can't dial w/skype from the people hub. My skype contacts show up in the people hub.

kentlim

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! I was NOT expecting this. I had thought the integration would be more seamless.

I've switched from a S3 (and previously from Lumia 800->S3). On the S3, I could setup Skype as an Account, and it would seamlessly add the option to do Skype call, inside the Contacts list. I should be able to make skype calls to *any* contact I have, so long as I have skype credits to burn.

On Windows Phone, I'm really quite shocked at the lack of integration. MS had quite a bit of time since acquisition, so I would expect a deeper level of integration, but it appears not. So from what I gathered, I have to:
Go to Free Skype internet calls and cheap calls to phones online - Skype, logon using MS account, choose to merge contacts.This brings in my skype contacts to the people hub. I found that most of my skype contacts are not merged automatically. Even one that was fairly close in name. I had to manually link them!

Limitations that I can see:
1. In People Hub, I can only skype call to those that I had Skype contacts that were merged into People Hub. I cannot skype call to everyone in the People Hub.
2. If I wanted to skype call someone's mobile number or fixed line (using my skype credit), I have to start the Skype app. People Hub contacts are brought in to Skype, and I can do the call within Skype.
3. I *cannot* SMS at all, from Skype app, even if I have Skype credits. (I can do that using desktop version of skype).

So... a lot of limitations that I can see. Although I strongly want Microsoft to succeed and want to support WP, I'm really shocked at the poor level of integration here, when Android has already done a better integration than this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro