12-10-2012 01:54 AM
- I just merged my skype account with my MS account.
On the preview here:
Skype Preview for Windows Phone 8 is now available! Hands on video. | Windows Phone Central
It says you just need to sign in once and then no need to run in background to receive calls? I don't quite understand. Does this mean I need to keep Skype running, or not? Thank you!12-09-2012 10:43 PM
- 12-10-2012 12:40 AM
- Thanks! I was NOT expecting this. I had thought the integration would be more seamless.
I've switched from a S3 (and previously from Lumia 800->S3). On the S3, I could setup Skype as an Account, and it would seamlessly add the option to do Skype call, inside the Contacts list. I should be able to make skype calls to *any* contact I have, so long as I have skype credits to burn.
On Windows Phone, I'm really quite shocked at the lack of integration. MS had quite a bit of time since acquisition, so I would expect a deeper level of integration, but it appears not. So from what I gathered, I have to:
Go to Free Skype internet calls and cheap calls to phones online - Skype, logon using MS account, choose to merge contacts.This brings in my skype contacts to the people hub. I found that most of my skype contacts are not merged automatically. Even one that was fairly close in name. I had to manually link them!
Limitations that I can see:
1. In People Hub, I can only skype call to those that I had Skype contacts that were merged into People Hub. I cannot skype call to everyone in the People Hub.
2. If I wanted to skype call someone's mobile number or fixed line (using my skype credit), I have to start the Skype app. People Hub contacts are brought in to Skype, and I can do the call within Skype.
3. I *cannot* SMS at all, from Skype app, even if I have Skype credits. (I can do that using desktop version of skype).
So... a lot of limitations that I can see. Although I strongly want Microsoft to succeed and want to support WP, I'm really shocked at the poor level of integration here, when Android has already done a better integration than this.12-10-2012 01:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD