WP8's Music+Video Tile

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
The new Music+Video live tile in WP8 is BREATHTAKING....only when you're playing a song....

Which is very dissapointing. When the tile is live(when you're playing music) it is just stunning, and simply because of that, I made it a double wide tile. But the moment you pause or stop the music, the beautiful live tile vanishes. And then the double wide music tile is an ugly green which I then want to shrink to a mini tile....

I really hope Microsoft fixes this. Even on WP7, the Music tile is always live.

Is anyone else extemely bothered by this?

On a related topic: I have the Stop the Music app and pinned "music stopping" tile on the homescreen. Supposedly, the tile is suppose to show the album art of the last song it stops, but even after stopping my music mutliple times, it's still a dead tile (no album art; not live)....Is anyone else experiencing this or know how to fix this?

On another related note, the only live tile that has blown me away (other than the music tile), is the app TV Shows. I have it pinned as a double wide tile. I'm really hoping there will be more apps with impressive live tiles.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Slightly downtrodden by hearing that. I loved the Music and Video tile. For example mine currently shows Miley Cyrus (and I didn't even buy that off Zune/Xbox Music, that's ripped straight from a CD to what I believe was iTunes, as I used that when I imported the CD, as it was when I was a BlackBerry user)

kentlim

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Totally agree! The other thing I hope was to see the album art on the lock screen. Right now it shows a blank screen like how WP7.x does.

jmseamonkey

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I think this is a very welcome change in WP8. In WP7, I was always frustrated that I always had to look at the artist's face from the music I last listened to, even if it was days ago. I think the new implementation makes much more sense and gives a visual cue letting you know that music is currently playing.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I think this is a very welcome change in WP8. In WP7, I was always frustrated that I always had to look at the artist's face from the music I last listened to, even if it was days ago. I think the new implementation makes much more sense and gives a visual cue letting you know that music is currently playing.
But the large tile is so beautiful when playing yet so, so green and boring when no music is playing...there must be a compromise here. Maybe animated while playing and green front/last artist played image/text on back when idle?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, I'm not sure which way I would like it.... I can see being annoyed by it using your example.

The best option is a setting for it. Have a setting that says 'Display artist information on LiveTile even when not playing music' or something like that.. Then a 2nd option that lets the tile cycle through a number of previous artists. So you could set it to 1 and it would just show the last artist like WP7 did, or set it higher and it would rotate.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
When I first handled a 920 in the store, the fact that the tile did that animation had me sold. In all of the promo videos and whatnot (like when they announced WP8 to the developers or whatever), the tile had artists there. Shame that it doesn't keep them after they play. I keep my tile medium so I still see stuff move, but would love to have the artist stay.

Jmcwheeler

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Thought this since day 1 with my Lumia 920! Looks horrible to have this static green tile. Needs to be live all the time. Totally gorgeous!

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
It would be nice if the tile was live with your collection's album art when no music is playing. I'm thinking it can look like the People tile, or rotate album art of one artist at a time for whatever tile size you're using.

Last edited:

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Interestingly, when you change to "high contrast mode" the tile really comes to life. It only displays "music+videos" in a scrolling manner similar to when music is playing, but it still looks very cool. I would love to see that in normal operation, I think it looks very clean.

runam0k

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Audio cue not enough?

spampy2

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
actually you can have the Album Art show on the lock screed by going to Settings and then Lock Screen as there is a setting called Show Artist when playing music - turn on

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
True Spampy, but it doesn't always show. Tried a few albums myself to verify the issue. A DJ Rectangle show art in the player, but grey elsewhere, but a Stevie Ray Vaughn track showed.

Dunno, hmm

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism