Skype and facebook tile push notification for WP8 not working

kentlim

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Just got the Lumia 920. In 2 days of use, the Facebook tile never had any toast or notification update. It just shows as a tile with the FB icon. I've checked the Settings that FB running in background is allowed, and the toast/notification in the settings inside FB app is enabled.

I then tried out Skype. I used another account to message the Skype account I had set up on the Lumia 920. Again, no push notification! The Skype tile is showing as a empty tile. Interestingly, when I logon to Skype on the 920, the account shows up as an Online contact on my other account. But the moment put Skype to the background, the 920's account shows as Offline. Is this a normal behaviour?

I'm really getting very frustrated with this. Thanks for any advise!

kentlim

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm on 3G, not wifi. I'm receiving emails fine... and they are showing up as numbers beside the icon. But I just simply don't get any notification on other stuffs - Facebook, Skype, Nimbuzz....

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Skype is in Beta right now and doesn't include notifications.

The official faceook app is hit or miss on the notifications. Try uninstalling and re installing it. There are also other facebook clients in the marketplace that supposedly work better but I haven't tried any.

kentlim

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! What about the Me Tile? If I get new facebook replies, should I see a notification on my Me tile?
(It's off topic a bit, but since we're talking about notification for FB)

Glavata

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The facebook tile only works properly for me when I reboot the phone. Once I get some notification it stops updating properly...

Willyman

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
The facebook tile only works properly for me when I reboot the phone. Once I get some notification it stops updating properly...

Exactly, same experience here. They need to seriously rework this app cause it's borderline useless if you don't get the notifications.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It used to work with my Skype only account and then I merged my MSN and Skype and also updated desktop app and now it doesn't work anymore lol:)

user4545

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Push notifications work **** for pretty much everything, Hotmail, Skype, Whatsapp, Viber. Coming from Android it really makes you wonder, feels like going back 5 years in time.

win_splash

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Sadly, push notification is a weak point on WP, it really hasn't improved much since WP7.5. Those migrating from iOS or Android will have a difficult time accepting that App notifications are just not as robust on WP. Hopefully they address this issue soon.

anon(5408460)

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I have no problem with them working, I just wish they remained on screen long enough for me to get to read them ! Is there any way of saving them all so I don't need to go through all the apps to see what I have missed ?

aigi_nr1

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Same expierence. I can't see notifications about new messages, replays, comments etc. The live tile appear only my posts on the wall. Not good.

mapleleafs89

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Same experience. Had friends send me facebook messages and toast + tiles enabled for the official facebook app and I have received no notifications at all. Just got my Lumia 920 and I love the device but the push notifications are weak as !@#$

Danny Steiger

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So true. I came to WP8 from a long history with iPhones. I love WP8 save for a few things that irritate me every day, the largest being notifications. iOS did a great job of near instantaneous notifications with Facebook. The "official" FB app has about a 20% reliability. Another app I just tried gets up to about 60%. Hey, 3x better! but 40% worse than iOS. I really hope they get this figured out. Hard to convince people to come to the ecosystem when you have to warn them that they will have to change all their Facebook habits and expect it to be an extremely sub par experience.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
So true. I came to WP8 from a long history with iPhones. I love WP8 save for a few things that irritate me every day, the largest being notifications. iOS did a great job of near instantaneous notifications with Facebook. The "official" FB app has about a 20% reliability. Another app I just tried gets up to about 60%. Hey, 3x better! but 40% worse than iOS. I really hope they get this figured out. Hard to convince people to come to the ecosystem when you have to warn them that they will have to change all their Facebook habits and expect it to be an extremely sub par experience.

The notification push time is adjusted on WP such that each app won't push notifications when it wants. Generally it's polled at certain interval for all apps so your phone doesn't have to stay awake and drain battery if you were to get notifications every minute. I read somewhere it could be between 240-300 seconds.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I jus got notifications from posts of 4 days ago, I got them this morning on Facebook, not really acceptable. Don't know what the **** they're doing with the Facebook app but its heavily out of date. Its unbelievable that they've done jack **** since now, they seem to stuck up on Instagram.

teng_m

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
MS facebook app for some reason doesn't push notifications. You can use "the facebook" it pushes notifications better than MS fb app. No clue for skype. i don't use skype

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077