Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Has anyone found an answer to this problem with the phone. Is there a way to clean it or is it a defective phone? What did other do. It be really great to know what's going on. I know this thread has been repeated but I need an answer. The rep at the T-Mobile store basically told me idk how to keep my phone clean and try to sell a case, not happening lol. I always keep my phone clean.
    This is what you need
    Amazon.com: ZAGG HTCWP8XLE invisibleSHIELD for HTC Windows Phone 8X - Full Body - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Clear: Cell Phones & Accessories

It will protect your phone and since is clear you won't notice that you have a protector on your phone assuming that you install it correctly without any air bubbles

Thanks man! Do you know if the phone is just prone to getting dirty or is there a legitimate reason for this tragedy that happen to this phone?

Quote Originally Posted by stevenmsoto View Post
    Thanks man! Do you know if the phone is just prone to getting dirty or is there a legitimate reason for this tragedy that happen to this phone?
    It's not a dirt issue. It's a polycarbonate body that HTC then sprays with a thin, soft touch coating. It is a soft surface that rubs off. Terrible idea by HTC.

Thank you for the answer, should I see if I can get a new phone or wait it out tell a new shipment of phones come in with the problem solved.

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Could you provide some more information or a picture? I have a black one, I haven't noticed anything except greasy prints that wipe away.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenmsoto View Post
    Thank you for the answer, should I see if I can get a new phone or wait it out tell a new shipment of phones come in with the problem solved.
    I'm not sure it is something that will be "solved". Soft touch coatings will wear off. It's just a poor design choice by HTC.

I just went to Microsoft Store they basically told me it was a poor decisions choice on HTC, they try to help me as much as possible so instead they gave me a California Blue Thin Case from HTC for $3 (original price $27) these guys are dope! So if anyone having this problem maybe Microsoft can help you out. T-Mobile basically told me to go f*&% myself. 😠

Soft touch should not wear off in a matter of days or weeks. The HTC Trophy has no issue with the coating in black, it's extremely durable.

Quote Originally Posted by strokee View Post
    It's not a dirt issue. It's a polycarbonate body that HTC then sprays with a thin, soft touch coating. It is a soft surface that rubs off. Terrible idea by HTC.
    Wrong, I cleaned mine back to blue (not perfectly as I got bored). But the nothing has rubbed off.

BTW, there is already a big thread on this.
    Device: O2 Nokia Lumia 1520

look at mine on the right, compared to a new one,. it's all BLACK now, it used to be BLUE (see the blue earpiece?) i returned it to HTC, and luckily, they replaced it..... and now that i know it would look like this in the future, i bought a case for it... now it's bulky.. should have gone with the 920 instead of this.. oh well
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_1443.jpg  

Global Posts
    1,448 Global Posts
    ^^^^ Holy Crap!!!!

I heard HTC is covering some of these as warranty repair.

Global Posts
    2,190 Global Posts
    Sorry you had to deal with this, man. This is probably the biggest issue with the 8X right now. Maybe morpheus can let you know how to clean yours?

Quote Originally Posted by jdhooghe View Post
    Sorry you had to deal with this, man. This is probably the biggest issue with the 8X right now. Maybe morpheus can let you know how to clean yours?
    Alcohol-based hand sanitiser and a clothe. Like I said, not perfect. If I had a spare phone I would have sent back to HTC to replace the casing.

For me, this is old news and I don't care. I even stop using the official doubleshot case.

I periodically "clean" so that is doesn't get any worse, and leave it as that.
    Device: O2 Nokia Lumia 1520

=( =(

I've only had my blue 8x for a couple of days and it hasn't started to fade yet, but, if the color did start to fade then getting a replacement is gonna be pretty pointless because it will just do it again, Would there be a quick and easy way to make it all black including the earpiece ?

I'm having the same problem. Cannot get mine clean for the life of me. Do they not test their products before they market them? Is HTC on a suicide mission?

Quote Originally Posted by D M2 View Post
    I've only had my blue 8x for a couple of days and it hasn't started to fade yet, but, if the color did start to fade then getting a replacement is gonna be pretty pointless because it will just do it again, Would there be a quick and easy way to make it all black including the earpiece ?
    Won't work... i was thinking of coloring it with a black marker,, but hesitated cuz i know it's just gonna wear off soon... plus, if you do that, you're just gonna kiss your warranty goodbye....

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Dollar View Post
    I'm having the same problem. Cannot get mine clean for the life of me. Do they not test their products before they market them? Is HTC on a suicide mission?
    ^^^^ what he said.. ahaha!

Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    The soft coating of my HP Veer doesn't wear off, so I wonder how HTC could do it this wrong. Maybe coating a plastic cover is more durable, but ... I just bought a sleeve from Converse and keeping my 8X in it hopefully will minimize rubbing off the coating!
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express
    Lass dir deinen Entwurf nicht kaputt machen.
    Do not let them depreciate your design.
    Manfred Krplien