We made some changes

Our new forums are here!

Saving money on data

Mint SIM is the perfect way to get cheap data in the U.S.

Don't count Windows Phone out just yet

Dead? Psh. Here are 5 reasons to stick with Windows 10 Mobile

VPN vs. Proxy

The difference between a proxy and a VPN

Latitude attitude

Dell Latitude 7280 is a business laptop with tons of consumer attitude

4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
Like Tree8Likes
  1. iPwnza's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    236 Posts
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    Look at this: mobile website stuck on loading screen:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20121211_0001.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	24567

    Anyone know of any GOOD alternate browsers that work on the 8X without a black bar?

    Otherwise, i'll have to jump on C# and make a clone of IE with the user agent changed.
  2. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    I don't see how this is an argument for great UI or sucky browser. You ran into a problem with a bad site, period.
    a5cent and eric12341 like this.
  3. iPwnza's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    236 Posts
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryNil View Post
    I don't see how this is an argument for great UI or sucky browser. You ran into a problem with a bad site, period.
    The fact is that the site doesn't work because IE doesn't meet web standards.

    (Also this bad site is one of my most used sites). Annoying as ****.
  4. Mystictrust's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    977 Posts
    Global Posts
    982 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    UC Browser seems to have some good reviews. I do like that it has its own forward and back buttons :) No idea if it'll run without a black bar on your 8X.

    Edit: Yeah, m.roblox.com won't run on UC Browser (nor will it run on IE10 on my desktop PC). roblox.com works fine though, the non-mobile version.
  5. TboWP7's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by iPwnza View Post
    The fact is that the site doesn't work because IE doesn't meet web standards.

    (Also this bad site is one of my most used sites). Annoying as ****.
    You should let the website know that you have problems with it so they can fix it. Here on the forum we can't help
    rafaelluik likes this.
  6. WasteSomeTime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    871 Posts
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    UC browser has a forward and back button. it can use different search engines like a desktop browser. It had speed boost option, which really means mobile version of every site. The UI is organized. Its just a tad slower than the IE browser, its not noticeable but it's there. Overall it has more features than IE. It also has an annoying captcha text for some reason. It also doesn't render some websites mobile version very well.
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
  7. SomethingSomethingDarkSide's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    119 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    i personally just use the desktop version for almost all sites and have had a very enjoyable experience
  8. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ipwnza View Post
    the fact is that the site doesn't work because the site doesn't meet web standards.
    ftfy.
  9. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,046 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,703 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by iPwnza View Post
    The fact is that the site doesn't work because IE doesn't meet web standards.

    (Also this bad site is one of my most used sites). Annoying as ****.
    No... it's just that IE doesn't use the WebKit browsing engine... Case in point with google.com - does the exact same thing. Great mobile website on webkit browsers (I.E. stock browser on any platform OTHER than WP) and a POS on WP. It isn't because IE doesn't meet web standards, because it does. It's because developers are ignoring the Trident engine, or are just thinking anything other than WebKit is a POS.
    a5cent likes this.
  10. Sheikmans's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    52 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    I disagree, the browser does not suck. Anything else? Because one site gives issues...I lost count when I ran into compatilibility issues on my Android device and I've never had the need to start topics like this.
  11. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,580 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    The browser is great. The site you're accessing sucks, because it doesn't adhere to standards but rather is trying to force you to use a particular browser (WebKit) rather than code something that works across browsers.

    It's a bit like the 1990s, where web sites wouldn't work unless you used Netscape Navigator.
  12. iamtim's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,579 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,774 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Roblox, wow. That's the first time I've actually heard it mentioned outside of my 9 year-old stepson's bedroom. We even took him to the Roblox convention in Nor Cal a couple of months back.

    Off-topic, I know. :)
  13. zedmartinez's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    31 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    As a web dev, I second other sentiments on here that IE10 is, whether you believe it or not, a standards-compliant browser. So was 9. My headaches as a dev have greatly reduced since 9 started gaining market share. If it worked on Chrome and FF, it works on IE now. Period. But, a lot of mobile sites aren't used to supporting Trident, as also mentioned, and use targeted methods for the browsers used by iOS and, sometimes, Android. This isn't the browser's fault, it's the fault of lazy devs who can't be bothered to support standards themselves.
  14. Kebero's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    716 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,229 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    As a side note, there are no alternative browsers for Windows Phone. Everything in the Marketplace, such as UC Browser, is simply a wrapper for IE.
  15. inteller's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,530 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,535 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    you are experincing the great "Webkityfying" of the web....welcome to IE6 2.0 Oh it was all bad and evil with Microsoft was doing it, but now that Apple and Google are doing it it is ok. Microsoft posted a very good article about this for webdevs to start including standards based tags at the end of their CSS for the stable HTML5 technologies. Unfortunately lazy webdevs die hard and just like they were too lazy to remove IE6 specific code, they aren't removing webkit- prefixes either.
  16. EliteMikes's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    190 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Developers are just plain lazy. That is the problem. I know this because I'm one of them. I have to develop for IE because its my target browser and I don't care about any others.. Every one else out there should be caring about IE if its a public site. IE 10 has very little differences over any other current browser, so it's pretty much just bad web building on their part. Supporting IE 9 and even 8 aren't so bad if you know what you are doing.
  17. inteller's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,530 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,535 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtim View Post
    Roblox, wow. That's the first time I've actually heard it mentioned outside of my 9 year-old stepson's bedroom.
    haha that is epic...
  18. inteller's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,530 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,535 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by EliteMikes View Post
    Developers are just plain lazy. That is the problem. I know this because I'm one of them. I have to develop for IE because its my target browser and I don't care about any others.. Every one else out there should be caring about IE if its a public site. IE 10 has very little differences over any other current browser, so it's pretty much just bad web building on their part. Supporting IE 9 and even 8 aren't so bad if you know what you are doing.
    everyone out there should be writing standards based code, and in terms of HTML5, the stable drafts, not the fringe **** that is going to get kicked off into 5.1 and 5.2
  19. Mystictrust's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    977 Posts
    Global Posts
    982 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kebero View Post
    As a side note, there are no alternative browsers for Windows Phone. Everything in the Marketplace, such as UC Browser, is simply a wrapper for IE.
    The weird thing is, using the Nokia Xpress Beta browser on my Lumia 810, m.roblox.com runs just fine, which makes me wonder if Nokia Xpress is an "advanced" wrapper that uses webkit somehow, or something entirely different.
  20. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,580 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    Xpress is WebKit.
  21. iPwnza's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    236 Posts
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtim View Post
    Roblox, wow. That's the first time I've actually heard it mentioned outside of my 9 year-old stepson's bedroom. We even took him to the Roblox convention in Nor Cal a couple of months back.

    Off-topic, I know. :)
    I'm very famous on it, only reason I still use it!
  22. iamtim's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,579 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,774 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by iPwnza View Post
    I'm very famous on it, only reason I still use it!
    Oh yeah? Same user name? I'll run it by my step-son, see if he recognizes you. :)
  23. Slai's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    557 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    Desktop version. A reason to get a big screen phone ^^ .
    CapnPauly likes this.
  24. a5cent's Avatar

    Posts
    6,412 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,418 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Xpress is WebKit.
    Not that I've programmed it, but Xpress reports that it is based on Geko, not WebKit. That is the same rendering engine used by Firefox.
  25. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,580 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    Humph... Interesting. The version for the X6 reports as Webkit...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The new Wikipedia app is GREAT
    By socialcarpet in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-23-2012, 01:56 PM
  2. browser screwed up. Is it the device or the OS?
    By Cossyc in forum Samsung Omnia 7
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-31-2012, 07:35 AM
  3. Why is the browser brightness so low?
    By unity04 in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 10:54 AM
  4. Walmart is selling the focus for free essentially
    By Light Speed1 in forum Samsung Focus
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-20-2010, 02:12 PM

Posting Permissions

";