IE's UI is great. The browser itself... SUCKS.

iPwnza

Banned
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Look at this: mobile website stuck on loading screen:

wp_ss_20121211_0001.jpg

Anyone know of any GOOD alternate browsers that work on the 8X without a black bar?

Otherwise, i'll have to jump on C# and make a clone of IE with the user agent changed.

iPwnza

Banned
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't see how this is an argument for great UI or sucky browser. You ran into a problem with a bad site, period.

The fact is that the site doesn't work because IE doesn't meet web standards.

(Also this bad site is one of my most used sites). Annoying as ****.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
UC Browser seems to have some good reviews. I do like that it has its own forward and back buttons :) No idea if it'll run without a black bar on your 8X.

Edit: Yeah, m.roblox.com won't run on UC Browser (nor will it run on IE10 on my desktop PC). roblox.com works fine though, the non-mobile version.

TboWP7

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

You should let the website know that you have problems with it so they can fix it. Here on the forum we can't help

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
UC browser has a forward and back button. it can use different search engines like a desktop browser. It had speed boost option, which really means mobile version of every site. The UI is organized. Its just a tad slower than the IE browser, its not noticeable but it's there. Overall it has more features than IE. It also has an annoying captcha text for some reason. It also doesn't render some websites mobile version very well.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

No... it's just that IE doesn't use the WebKit browsing engine... Case in point with google.com - does the exact same thing. Great mobile website on webkit browsers (I.E. stock browser on any platform OTHER than WP) and a POS on WP. It isn't because IE doesn't meet web standards, because it does. It's because developers are ignoring the Trident engine, or are just thinking anything other than WebKit is a POS.

Sheikmans

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I disagree, the browser does not suck. Anything else? Because one site gives issues...I lost count when I ran into compatilibility issues on my Android device and I've never had the need to start topics like this.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The browser is great. The site you're accessing sucks, because it doesn't adhere to standards but rather is trying to force you to use a particular browser (WebKit) rather than code something that works across browsers.

It's a bit like the 1990s, where web sites wouldn't work unless you used Netscape Navigator.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Roblox, wow. That's the first time I've actually heard it mentioned outside of my 9 year-old stepson's bedroom. We even took him to the Roblox convention in Nor Cal a couple of months back.

Off-topic, I know. :)

zedmartinez

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
As a web dev, I second other sentiments on here that IE10 is, whether you believe it or not, a standards-compliant browser. So was 9. My headaches as a dev have greatly reduced since 9 started gaining market share. If it worked on Chrome and FF, it works on IE now. Period. But, a lot of mobile sites aren't used to supporting Trident, as also mentioned, and use targeted methods for the browsers used by iOS and, sometimes, Android. This isn't the browser's fault, it's the fault of lazy devs who can't be bothered to support standards themselves.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
As a side note, there are no alternative browsers for Windows Phone. Everything in the Marketplace, such as UC Browser, is simply a wrapper for IE.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
you are experincing the great "Webkityfying" of the web....welcome to IE6 2.0 Oh it was all bad and evil with Microsoft was doing it, but now that Apple and Google are doing it it is ok. Microsoft posted a very good article about this for webdevs to start including standards based tags at the end of their CSS for the stable HTML5 technologies. Unfortunately lazy webdevs die hard and just like they were too lazy to remove IE6 specific code, they aren't removing webkit- prefixes either.

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Developers are just plain lazy. That is the problem. I know this because I'm one of them. I have to develop for IE because its my target browser and I don't care about any others.. Every one else out there should be caring about IE if its a public site. IE 10 has very little differences over any other current browser, so it's pretty much just bad web building on their part. Supporting IE 9 and even 8 aren't so bad if you know what you are doing.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Developers are just plain lazy. That is the problem. I know this because I'm one of them. I have to develop for IE because its my target browser and I don't care about any others.. Every one else out there should be caring about IE if its a public site. IE 10 has very little differences over any other current browser, so it's pretty much just bad web building on their part. Supporting IE 9 and even 8 aren't so bad if you know what you are doing.

everyone out there should be writing standards based code, and in terms of HTML5, the stable drafts, not the fringe **** that is going to get kicked off into 5.1 and 5.2

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
As a side note, there are no alternative browsers for Windows Phone. Everything in the Marketplace, such as UC Browser, is simply a wrapper for IE.
The weird thing is, using the Nokia Xpress Beta browser on my Lumia 810, m.roblox.com runs just fine, which makes me wonder if Nokia Xpress is an "advanced" wrapper that uses webkit somehow, or something entirely different.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss