Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Just wondering if there are any good readers out there?

Freda comes highly recommended by many users on here. I used it extensively until i got my kindle.

The dev is highly active and responsive and I hear a wp8 version is in the works :)
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    Freda is more feature rich, but also uglier.
    Thanked by:

I use Kindle and Freda.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    Freda is my favourite.

Raccoon ain't bad too, but it has a limitation of the no. of books you can have offline.
    Thanked by:

Nokia Reading
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I'm using Bookviser, wanted to try Nokia Reading but I get constant skydrive errors with almost every app that uses it.
    Thanked by:

I use READU and love it!

You can change all the settings you want (background color, fonttype and size, display brightness and so on), enable/disable screen rotation, download epubs from skydrive, dropbox and so on...

i don't really remeber the looks of Freda, but i tried both (Freda and READU) and kept Readu after some testing...so I guess I thought Readu was better at that time.

Hope I could help

edit: here is the link: READU | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    Thanked by:
    I cosign Freda as well. I think the UI could do with some work, but its fully featured & a pleasure to use.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I used Freda and READU and went for Freda because READU did not work for the formatting of my ebook. I think it's easiest to try out both and see which one works and looks better. There is an wp8 version of Freda in the works by the way.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Thanks for the options, imma check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by marbla View Post
    There is an wp8 version of Freda in the works by the way.
    It's on the Windows 8 Store at freda app for Windows in the Windows Store

Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
    I too wanted to know if there is any good app. Can the Kindle read my personal books if I mail them to myself? It would be .mobi I am assuming.
    Quote Originally Posted by XENOPHOS View Post
    I too wanted to know if there is any good app. Can the Kindle read my personal books if I mail them to myself? It would be .mobi I am assuming.
    Afaik, no. But Freda can. I upload everything to SkyDrive & Freda creates a bookshelf

Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Rodriguez Jr. View Post
    Afaik, no. But Freda can. I upload everything to SkyDrive & Freda creates a bookshelf
    Oh nice. And im assuming it is free and will work on 8S)( if and when I buy it)?

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

I use Mohoo Reader

It is a really good epub reader

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...0-4a20ead945d7
    Oh nice. And im assuming it is free and will work on 8S)( if and when I buy it)?

There are 2 versions. I typically pay for all of these apps to support the developer, but my girlfriend uses the free one without any issues, it just has ads before getting into the book, nothing intrusive.

Emailing books to your Kindle reader is a feature that works on the Kindle hardware bookreaders, but it's not supported on the software reader on Windows Phone. To read your own books on Freda (or any other EPUB-compatible reader) you would need to convert them from Amazon's format (roughly speaking .MOBI, though it might really be .AZW), you would need to convert them to EPUB format. The Calibre program is a good way to do that (but you need to run it on a PC/Mac/Linux machine; it doesn't work on a phone)

Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chapman View Post
    Emailing books to your Kindle reader is a feature that works on the Kindle hardware bookreaders, but it's not supported on the software reader on Windows Phone. To read your own books on Freda (or any other EPUB-compatible reader) you would need to convert them from Amazon's format (roughly speaking .MOBI, though it might really be .AZW), you would need to convert them to EPUB format. The Calibre program is a good way to do that (but you need to run it on a PC/Mac/Linux machine; it doesn't work on a phone)
    Thanks...I have Caliber at home. Just wondering if Nook is available? There is even a Sony Bookreader for Android. But is pretty bad TBH...
    Nook is nice. Actually I'm buying an iPad Mini for reading...so wont b reading on 8S much...websites & forums a lot though...I just realized this is a wrong thread to talk about all this..so I will shut up.. :P