Other keyboard apps for Windows Phone 8 - Recommendations ?

Rickosw

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Just wondering other than the inbuild stock Windows 8 Keyboard, are there external 3rd party keyboard which you will recommend?

Cheers

kevin2577

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
The Windows Phone SDK doesn't allow the use of third party keyboards (More like iOS than Android in that sense), so other than swapping languages or color themes built in keyboard is all you have. Which isn't too bad because it's a pretty great soft keyboard

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm having some trouble with replacing words automatically. Like its and it's. I really only use "it's" and it won't auto populate. Is there a way to force commonly used words or will I have to select right use every time? Sorry, kinda off topic.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Conan I've noticed that as well, used to be better in wp7 I swear. But I've found that if you type 'its' and wait for half a second to tap the replacement it works well enough. Also the keyboard does learn over time that you're more likely to use the apostrophe with these letters so just keep typing!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Just wondering other than the inbuild stock Windows 8 Keyboard, are there external 3rd party keyboard which you will recommend?

Cheers
There's really only one recommendation, and that is to get used to the keyboard, use it, and let it learn you, because it will, and you will learn that it actually is a very good keyboard. The reason this is the only recommendation is because you cannot install any other keyboard. The OS doesn't have any way of doing so.

I'm having some trouble with replacing words automatically. Like its and it's. I really only use "it's" and it won't auto populate. Is there a way to force commonly used words or will I have to select right use every time? Sorry, kinda off topic.
You really only use "it's"? Hmmm.... Do you realize that its and it's are really two different words, and it's not a preference issue? Its is possessive, and it's is a contraction of it and is. But yes, like Jay said, the keyboard will learn your typing patterns.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I know the difference. If I didn't, it wouldn't be an issue. I proof read everything. I can't stand posts that read like an eight year old wrote them. I'm not saying my grammar is perfect, but I try. I came from BB which could be highly customized. I'm not complaining about WP keyboard. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking a simple solution. And thanks Jay for answering my question. It will be hard for WP to learn my preferences when I keep typing as I did on my BB and expecting correction to occur automatically. Just a learning curve.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
every time I see someone using swype I swear they look like a ******. i'm so sick of hearing that stupid gimmick brought up.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
After you type out the word, tap it to highlight it and the you will see that word in the suggestion box with a + sign in front of it. Select that to add to the dictionary. Not sure if it will autocorrect to those new words, but they will start showing up in the suggestion list at least.

anon(5868408)

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
A third party app would help out a lot with adding a row of numbers on the top!!! Don't you guys get irritated switching back and forth for the use of numbers?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
A third party app would help out a lot with adding a row of numbers on the top!!! Don't you guys get irritated switching back and forth for the use of numbers?

Yes and no.
If you swipe from &123 to a number the keyboard automatically changes back.
So tap and hold &123. > the keyboard changes to "numbers"
Swipe to number (or other key) and lift your finger > the number is there but the keyboard automatically changes back.

In the W10 keyboard the numbers are also on the top row so if you hold Q you get 1.

arjunbkool

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I wonder if there is a way to switch off word suggestions while keeping the swype enabled. I am trying to post this question. but i still need another 7 posts before i do (grr..)

Charles Goin

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes, under

Settings > Time & Language > Keyboard >

THEN this is where they fool you..

Click the Keyboard ( In my case it would be "English (United States)" ) where it says "tap to change"

Its under there NOT "More keyboard settings"

Took me a while to find it too as I thought that would mean I wanted to CHANGE the Keyboard itself..

Charles Goin

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Now, my question can you change keyboards to a app keyboard in win10 ? Cant find an answer anywhere and this thread kept coming up.

Also if not is there a way to make the damn spacebar bigger. ? I am CONSTANTLY typing a n or a b when I want a space.

Ryker Abel

May 10, 2017
Visit site
Yes and no.
If you swipe from &123 to a number the keyboard automatically changes back.
So tap and hold &123. > the keyboard changes to "numbers"
Swipe to number (or other key) and lift your finger > the number is there but the keyboard automatically changes back.

In the W10 keyboard the numbers are also on the top row so if you hold Q you get 1.

This is the single most annoying thing ever. This is the most important feature on any device and to be locked in like this... it means I will be leaving Microsoft phones as soon as the next Galaxy Note comes out. I HAVE TO HAVE numbers on the front of my keyboard. I cannot stand the "solution" (not). This is totally ridiculous and a complete failure on Microsoft. And yes, I am furious.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)