Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    So I'm used to a BlackBerry where the emails get pushed to the device as they arrive. The device does not request an update from the server as to whether there is new email or not so it ends up saving bandwidth. The emails arrive faster than anything else I've seen.

So does wp8 work in a similar way or does it request updates every minute or whatever time you've set? If I got an Outlook would it work any better on WP8 as opposed to a gmail account?

People have varying amounts of success with mail, especially push.

You can set an update schedule for every 15, 30 or 60 minutes, or (WHEN SUPPORTED) "as items arrive" i.e. push.

With Gmail accounts, some people say they can access push, others say they don't have the option. With my Yahoo! Mail, I don't have the option. With my @live.co.uk account I do have the option to use push mail - but I'm not sure exactly how "instantaneous" it actually is. I haven't actually tested it, but from random observations it's not very quick.

Global Posts
    1,747 Global Posts
    Most of your main email accounts, Exchange, Outlook, GMail, etc. use push email where your email is indeed pushed from a server. You also can change that from push to some type of interval if you don't want it to push.

It's close to Blackberry, but seriously, if you are a super hardcore email user, you will realize that nothing works as slick as Blackberry in the email department, but for most people that isn't a deal breaker.

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    Yeah a delay of say even a minute isn't going to really change my decision. But what I'm concerned about is battery life. If the phone keeps asking the server every minute then obviously its going to take up data and battery. True push on the other hand won't.

Global Posts
    1,747 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snaqvi91 View Post
    Yeah a delay of say even a minute isn't going to really change my decision. But what I'm concerned about is battery life. If the phone keeps asking the server every minute then obviously its going to take up data and battery. True push on the other hand won't.
    Yeah, it's push using ActiveSync. Even Google licences ActiveSync from Microsoft. (I wonder how much cash they get for all those Android phones..haha.)

My corporate email seems to come to my phone pretty much the same time it comes into my inbox, sometimes even faster since most of us run Outlook on our Windows machines in cache mode. My Live email might be a minute or so behind, but it's going through a pretty massive email system. :) Or at least that's what I tell myself.

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    If I delete emials on my phone will it delete them all together from my account? I did this on an 8S and when i got home to check my e-mail they had all been deleted.

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    So my Outlook.com email would come in immediately while my gmail might be slightly delayed? And as long as I have push turned on, it won't constantly keep checking with the server and wasting data and battery life in the process?

I have been very pleased with Exchange syncing on this phone. I'm on push and my battery life is good. If I had to pick something WP8 excels at over iOS is handling email accounts.

There is currently a lack of a notifications screen, which may seem like a big loss at first. However, I've found the phone (Lumia 920) and the way it handles email to be so fast I haven't missed it. It takes as much time to view your email as it would to view a notifications screen.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    I have been very pleased with Exchange syncing on this phone. I'm on push and my battery life is good. If I had to pick something WP8 excels at over iOS is handling email accounts.
    I've actually had a better email syncing experience on the other platforms. They immediately sync changes made on the phone (moves, deletes, etc.). On WP7/8, changes made on the device are not synced automatically. You have to wait for the next push sync, or, do a manual sync of changes made on the device back to the server.

I have my L920 connected to my Exchange 2010 (I think) and E-mail has been pretty spot on.

I use a Large E-mail tile and right away when I get a new e-mail it shows up it's a pretty damn good not a lot of issues.

Also what I like about e-mail is how its built into the people hub so for example I have my manager in my PPL hub I can easily touch his contact swipe to History and I can see all of our previous e-mail, messages and txt conversations pretty neat.

Also you can pin individual folders like sent or any folder with importance.

As far as pinning and deep social integration the e-mail experience on a WP is damn good. Yes you have to manually sync moves or deletions but that's fine I barely delete anything anyway I am a very light weight e-mail on-the-go user but for power users I still think WP provides an awesome e-mail experience.

Global Posts
    1,747 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ousooner314 View Post
    I've actually had a better email syncing experience on the other platforms. They immediately sync changes made on the phone (moves, deletes, etc.). On WP7/8, changes made on the device are not synced automatically. You have to wait for the next push sync, or, do a manual sync of changes made on the device back to the server.
    Yeah, Microsoft is following their own standard by not pushing deletes right away. I think it's silly, but I suppose if that's the standard set by the Exchange folks, they probably need to follow it. :) Other companies who license ActiveSync can pick and choose what thing they implement so they've all decided to push deletes.

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    Are emails displayed on rich HTML?

Yes, HTML emails come through but you always have to click on an image to download. And they appear "richer" than on any other mobile platform I've seen.

Here is a possible "stupid user" question: How do i forward an email? In my outlook and gmail accounts I only have the option to reply.

Stupid user question answered: Its under the Respond button...which looks like reply icon.

Quote Originally Posted by based_graham View Post
    I have my L920 connected to my Exchange 2010 (I think) and E-mail has been pretty spot on.

I use a Large E-mail tile and right away when I get a new e-mail it shows up it's a pretty damn good not a lot of issues.

Also what I like about e-mail is how its built into the people hub so for example I have my manager in my PPL hub I can easily touch his contact swipe to History and I can see all of our previous e-mail, messages and txt conversations pretty neat.

Also you can pin individual folders like sent or any folder with importance.

As far as pinning and deep social integration the e-mail experience on a WP is damn good. Yes you have to manually sync moves or deletions but that's fine I barely delete anything anyway I am a very light weight e-mail on-the-go user but for power users I still think WP provides an awesome e-mail experience.
    I think you hit on exactly why the lack of a notifications area isn't exactly needed. For one if you have your important contacts pinned you can easily see when they are calling/texting/emailing, etc. It's a very natural flow.

I'd say I'm more on top of all my email accounts and texts than I ever had been on a blackberry or iPhone. WP8 just makes it so easy.

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Since you have a Blackberry I thought I would just share my experience with Blackberrry and Windows Phone. I put my Exchange account on WP7 (and 7.5) as well as a Blackberry, so the Exchange account was on both... and the Exchange account would ding (notify) at exactly the same time - the mail hit at the same time for both devices... that is how I knew it was the Exchange account as opposed to my Hotmail(s) which are only on Windows Phone. People around me would go what the heck is all the noise! I haven't put Exchange on WP8 Lumia 920, I like the apps and don't want them to have access to certain parts of the phone - so I still have a Blackberry with Exchange as well as my new Lumia 920 which houses all my Hotmails.

As for what gets push... on WP7or 7.5 Mango - I got push or EAS for Yahoo, Google and obviously Hotmail. It can depend on how you input the server info in the phone - POP3 or EAS (and yes, I had to do some of it manually.) I think you can look up the Yahoo EAS settings - unless they took them away, I don't know "now" because I went with Hotmail (skydrive) and closed Gmail and Yahoo.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInBA View Post
    Here is a possible "stupid user" question: How do i forward an email? In my outlook and gmail accounts I only have the option to reply.

Stupid user question answered: Its under the Respond button...which looks like reply icon.
    Click "respond" and the options to forward and reply come up.

I've never had issue with push on my outlook.com account or my school email exchange account. Both used push and were instant. I have since turned off push as I don't need it.

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WPmunkey View Post
    Click "respond" and the options to forward and reply come up.

I've never had issue with push on my outlook.com account or my school email exchange account. Both used push and were instant. I have since turned off push as I don't need it.
    Why did you turn it off? True push doesn't really take much data or battery life. I'm sure it takes less than when you set it to update at set intervals.

Quote Originally Posted by snaqvi91 View Post
    Why did you turn it off? True push doesn't really take much data or battery life. I'm sure it takes less than when you set it to update at set intervals.
    well if that's the case it contradicts everything I have ever heard from everyone ever.

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Just to share experience - as this is totally up to users themselves - I have 3 push accounts through the Lumia 920 and have had zero battery life issues.

I'm not sure what I make of most of the battery saving recommendations. I read conflicting info all over the place. I'm willing to sacrifice some battery life anyway to make my smartphone a little "smarter".

yes they delete from the server. Don't know how to stop it either. Maybe someone else can help?

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Good

Quote Originally Posted by michail71 View Post
    I'm not sure what I make of most of the battery saving recommendations. I read conflicting info all over the place. I'm willing to sacrifice some battery life anyway to make my smartphone a little "smarter".
    To grossly oversimplify it, "push" very roughly works by the same mechanism that alerts the phone when a call is coming in. To be more specific, the phone leaves a data connection to the server hanging open but doesn't actually transmit down it, so no power is consumed. When the server sends, down that socket to the phone, the notification that an email has been received, the phone receives that notification via the same receiver used to detect incoming calls. If you use the timed interval email checks vs the "push" option, the phone's transmitter has to fire up every X minutes, and this consumes battery. Think of a phone's talk time vs standby time to get an idea of how battery performance comes into effect.

The reason it might chew battery for some people would be if you receive an absurd amount of email, and the phone is always firing up to receive them. Because the push is just a notification that an email has to be fetched, it's not the email itself. The phone has to fire up the transmitter to receive the email. So, if you get 5 emails a day, push is going to save you battery. If you get 300 a day, your transmitter will fire up 300 times, vs the ~100 it would if your phone was grabbing them every 15 mins.

Also, to enable "push" on gmail for people who don't have it, go to the phone's inbox, press (...) then settings. Click on "sync settings". Enable calendar sync and then disable it. The act of enabling either calendar or contact sync, just for a minute, will switch the entire account into a different communication mode. Then you will see under "download new content" a new option "as items arrive". That is the push option.

-E
    Thanked by:
    StevesBalls likes this.

This is exactly what I was looking for E Lizzle. I knew that push was better for battery life (and really convenient), but I couldn't find the setting for my school's gmail-based email. It used to work on my old Trophy so I wondered what had changed.

I added the calendar, turned it off, relinked my inboxes, and the option was back!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast