Make the Keyboard Automatically Correct Words

Steven Barsam

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I just switched from Android to the HTC 8X. So far, I love the phone, but it is driving me nuts that it will only autocorrect words if you tap on them in certain apps, like the messaging app. Is there any way to get it to autocorrect like it does on Android? (Also, while I'm here, I'm on AT&T. Are there any free tethering apps I can use to avoid paying for the tethering plan?) Thank you!

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Have you turned on autocorrect? I'm used to typing on my relatively large nexus 7 and it auto corrects my sloppy typing but when I was trying an 8X in store it was totally messed up. Don't know what was wrong.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Developers choose which keyboard input style to use for text prompt. For fields where users will type email addresses, developers should use the email address keyboard. For fields with random stuff (like a user-id field), developers should use a keyboard that doesn't try to find "words" in the field. For fields with whole sentences, developers should use the keyboard that supports suggestions and corrections. The operative phrase in those sentences is "developers should." Some don't or don't consistently.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It will autocorrect words in certain cases. I don't know the exact algorhythm, but it will. And the better it gets to know your typing patterns, the more it will correct. If you see a word on the left that is BOLD, then that word will replace what is there, if the next character is a space or a punctuation mark - something like that. It does take some getting used to, and the phone does do some learning, but it will autocorrect.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Developers choose which keyboard input style to use for text prompt. For fields where users will type email addresses, developers should use the email address keyboard. For fields with random stuff (like a user-id field), developers should use a keyboard that doesn't try to find "words" in the field. For fields with whole sentences, developers should use the keyboard that supports suggestions and corrections. The operative phrase in those sentences is "developers should." Some don't or don't consistently.

I plan to be OCD consistent when I make my app. If I find I've released it with just one field wrong... there will be punishment. Severe punishment. I'm talking my body will be in pain type punishment. This is how seriously I'm going to take it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa