Live tiles limited to only 6??

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I just downloaded the trial of weather flow and it said in there that if you have more than 6 live tiles running that it might not update. Is the is really just limited to only use 6 tiles? That's really lame and proves we need a notification center.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Did it say that in the Weather Flow app?

Because that might possibly mean that if you use 6 different instances of that app, it might not update. In which case its an app thing, not an OS thing.

Ive never seen any warning like that.

BTW dont cast the judgement before resolving your question.

Saying "Is [WP] really just limited to only use 6 tiles?" immediately followed by "That's really lame and proves we need a notification center." is exactly like saying "is it true that cars melt if you drive them in the rain? That sucks and proves cars are unsafe."

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
It actually says 'more than 6 background agents' not live tiles. However, I thought this was a WP7.x limitation and had been lifted for WP8?

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
To be more precise it says..."if more than 6 background agents are running weather flow might not update". It goes on to say that you should disable other apps so you can get live tile updates. That's ridiculous.

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
It seems the limit of 6 is a lower limit and I imagine will be more relevant to low-end devices. I would hope that the high-end devices have this set much higher.

To help maximize the battery life of the device, there is a hard limit on the number of periodic agents that can be scheduled on the phone. It varies per device configuration and can be as low as 6. There is another limit, which is lower than the hard limit, after which the user is warned that they have multiple background agents running and may, therefore, experience faster battery consumption.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I noticed the same thing too. I take it to mean that there can only be 6 background tasks running at the same time. I think that is reasonable. If you go into Settings | then swipe to Applications then pick Background Tasks you can see what is allowed to run. Do you think it's possible 6 of those could be running at once? Most of them would be like weather apps updating or live lockscreen apps updating. Assuming the OS staggers them, everything should be fine. Nokia Drive is the only one in my list that would run more then a few seconds... I don't know if Music counts against that list, or if the 6 just applies to 3rd parties. It's not in the list to disable.

Just my guess though.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Not really related to the topic but I recommend a new weather app that I happened to find called AAA weather (free or paid). The app itself is quite neat but its live tiles are pretty dope, shows you hourly forecast of the day with conditions. And it updates the tiles regularly, like every hour or two
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express