Power saver mode: Always on is not on.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I have tried and tested this on both my Lumia 920s for about a week now. With battery saver "always on (not recommended)" mode apps like WPCentral, Weather and CNN have successfully been updating live tiles. Not only that, the battery drains quicker than non-battery saver mode. Its like the phone undergoes identity crisis and half of it wants to shut everything in background whereas other half will keep it all on!

Also Facebook app is ALWAYS blocked no matter what option I choose but it seems to keep pushing toasts even in battery saver always on!

Anyone who uses battery saver always on for long days at work, could probably contribute to this.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Also Facebook app is ALWAYS blocked no matter what option I choose but it seems to keep pushing toasts even in battery saver always on!
Background tasks are not always for updating live tiles and toast notifications. For example, teh Facebook background task is ONLY related to the Facebook lockscreen background option. It will ALWAYS be blocked unless you select that particular lockscreen option.

MS would do well to have the actions requiring background tasks always show in the individual detail pages to make this more clear. Currently, it doesn't explain this when it is blocked, only when it is active.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Battery saver disables push email and push notifications for apps, but for some reason it still allows apps to run their periodic background tasks. So it depends on how the app developer decided to update the tile. That's why some apps will continue to update their tiles with Battery Saver on, and some won't. For what it's worth, I think that's a strange decision. Battery Saver should disable background tasks as well IMO.

Edit: my post applies to WP7.5, I'm not sure what changed in WP8.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon