Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Little humor, I placed my nokia 920 down on top of my wallet and it started playing a notification tone, I couldn't figure it out until I took the cards out of my wallet and figured it was the military ID, nothing shows up on the screen but the notification tone will play as long as the id is close to the phone. What the heck is going on?

Global Posts
    8,093 Global Posts
    RFID works the same way as NFC. The card is encrypted, so the phone can't read it, but it still recognizes there's a signal there.

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Interesting.

that's kinda what I figured but thought it odd that the phone would display nothing. wasn't sure if anyone else noticed this

Quote Originally Posted by spyderzWPC View Post
    that's kinda what I figured but thought it odd that the phone would display nothing. wasn't sure if anyone else noticed this
    Well, it will display nothing if its nothing it can act on. If the data is stored in NDEF format, you can read it using any NFC app available otherwise it cannot be read using current APIs.

WP8 will only act automatically on specific NFC messages. Any message that contains a URI for example.