- 12-12-2012, 01:09 PM #1
It's been 7 days exactly as of today, 12/12/2012/ (Wicked i know =p), since i got the hot Red Verizon Wireless hTC 8x and i have noticed flaws i've found in WP.
- ( decides to take out the boot up time so I don't wanna start a war:])
- I'm not sure if this is my phone specific related, the difference between Low and Med bright setting is too significant, making me not want to use Med setting since my 8x doesn't last me a day with moderate use. I recently uninstalled Skype app and it seems to improve little bit.
- In camera mode, the display brightness goes to High, resulting more battery sucking fang.
- Within camera mode, it seems like the camera is still active after i flick over 2 pictures, then after 3 pictures i scrolled from camera mode, i can hear the camera lens goes off and the brightness dims it is weird and annoying.
- This has been annoying ever since Mango came out, whenever you are in a Zune player, and you back out from the artist, song, album etc, it sometimes doesn't take you back to the correct artists, song, albums etc. Allow me to explain, lets say you just tapped 4 Non Blades, then tapped the album Bigger, Better, Faster, More! and chose What's Up? as your song, then you back out twice to get to the artist list, it would jump to artists who start with letter "a". Either Microsoft is unaware of this bug or they still have no answer to this mysterious phenomina.
- While listening to music and i launch Metrotube app and start a video and back out, the speaker on my phone would set the volume so low that you barely hear anything. No matter what volume you set to, it stays the same unless you set the vol to 0 and the sound goes off.
- Whenever i type fast like in messaging, there is a significant delay after the inputs. It seems like word flow (predictive text) is causing the lag delay. And i've noticed it doesn't auto correct more words either as you type faster compared to windows phone 7 =[
- Other language like Korean doesn't have auto correct function, making me not want to use the on screen keyboard more!
- Setting is too chaotic! all the settings are all listed randomly, meaning it is not in alphabatical order. It would be nice if we get the customization within the setting lists as we could now with wp8 on start screen, ability to set the priority settings that you use the most.
- This isn't really a flaw but i wish the bing search on the phone gets that cool GIF screen we get when we are on bing.com on our computer =[
This is all i could come up with now and if you have noticed more flaws, please share them here! Let's get our voices louder!
Last edited by jcagga; 12-12-2012 at 03:52 PM.
- 12-12-2012, 01:47 PM #2I'm not sure if this is my phone specific related, the difference between Low and Med bright setting is too significant, making me not want to use Med setting since my 8x doesn't last me a day with moderate use. I recently uninstalled Skype app and it seems to improve little bit.It takes way too long to boot up your phone compared to windows phone 7. It's got better processor yet my Dell Venue Pro beats my 8x in cold boot up.Setting is too chaotic! all the settings are all listed randomly, meaning it is not in alphabatical order. It would be nice if we get the customization within the setting lists as we could now with wp8 on start screen, ability to set the priority settings that you use the most.Kids corner is half baked. A user can't customize the tile size =p back to square one Microsoft!
- 12-12-2012, 02:03 PM #3
Another potential trolls-feeding thread..
I am getting so sick & tired of this weeners & whiners threads.
We have to learn to be contented with what we have instead finding flaws. There's more to life than cry-baby trivia.
- 12-12-2012, 02:07 PM #4
Let me ask you this, how many times do people use power on/off on their tv? Its there when you need it, if the button doesn't work well, we have right to complain. Same thing with boot up time, if you take out the sim card or remove the battery, faster the boot up speed, the better the experience.
- 12-12-2012, 02:10 PM #5
- 12-12-2012, 02:20 PM #6Let me ask you this, how many times do people use power on/off on their tv? Its there when you need it, if the button doesn't work well, we have right to complain. Same thing with boot up time, if you take out the sim card or remove the battery, faster the boot up speed, the better the experience.
And the button works fine, it turns the TV on. And off. Just like advertised.
Did Microsoft target you specifically and said "hey, this phone boots up SO FAST MAN, you wont be able to STOP yourself!", since you have a "right to complain" yet noone else have seen this advertised?
Iunno, I feel its purely nitpicking, but thats probably because I dont turn my device on/off constantly. If I needed to switch SIMcards so frequently in my phone, I would get a dual-SIM phone, since I clearly have some special needs. Like if I was a diver, Id get something waterproof. You know; get what makes sense.
Now: dont get me wrong. I wouldnt spit on Microsoft if they made the boot-up faster. Im merely saying that calling it a "flaw" is sort of a stretch.
<- about as fast as SGS3 is a flaw?
- 12-12-2012, 02:28 PM #7
- 12-12-2012, 03:12 PM #8
Last edited by jcagga; 12-12-2012 at 03:35 PM.
12-12-2012, 03:17 PM #9
- 75 Posts
- 0 Post(s)
- 0 Thread(s)
My VZW 8X boots up in about 40secs. This is much better than my Thunderbolt which was about 2minutes from a cold boot. Also both my LED and Plasma TVs take 10-15secs to fully boot w/DVRs. Boot up time is a non issue for my 8X.
- 12-12-2012, 03:31 PM #10
I don't think you got my reference when I said tv button nor read the whole conversations and just jumped in. I was trying to make a point about it would make the experience better when you have solid button compared to soso button as to boot up time between wp7/8, it's there when you need it. When I said the boot up time flaw, what I meant was if the aging 4 years old processor could power up the device faster than the state of the art modern processor, that tells me two things. Either wp8 is a heck heavier than wp7, or it wasn't coded as efficiently as wp7. And you still need to take out the sim cards when you have dual sim card phone and since on wp8 the device reboot when taking out the sim card why wouldn't it make the experience better if you can start using the device faster?? I'm starting to wonder that you've never owned wp7 or if so haven't uses it for a long time. Listen wp7 never got the marketing push so no that's why we haven't seen the advertisement about specific features.
- 12-12-2012, 03:41 PM #12
No, I read the entire thing, I just think the comparison was moot since a TV you turn off several times per day, and the phone... most people dont turn off unless they are forced to, which really isnt that often in most cases. Hence the soso button or the solid button is a much higher profile concern. A soso button could be considered a flaw.
Booting up about the same speed as the SGS3 really isnt what Id consider a flaw.
Would it be nice to have it boot up in 0.2 seconds? Sure! Is it a flaw if it only boots up as fast as the SGS3? Not in my book.
As for dualSIM: no, you dont, thats sort of the point isnt it?
And the marketing push... That was a joke, of course they didnt market WP8 as booting superfast, because it wouldnt be a big selling point. People dont normally put as much emphasis on it as you seem to do. Few people look at the SGS3 and the Nokia 100 and go "no, Im gonna go with the Nokia 100. It just boots up SO fast! And that trumphs whatever wishywashy features the SGS3 has over the Nokia 100 for me."
- 12-12-2012, 03:45 PM #15
I just now set Kid's Corner up just to test it... I can easily adjust the tile size, you might want to try it again.
The setting order is just as random as they are on other OS's. I can only imagine they did some research and put the ones they thought would get clicked on more at the top. I'm ok with this as the things on the first page are actually most of the things I used the most. Kudos to Microsoft there. Giving people the ability to change the order would be chaos, especially as an IT professional that would have to support a crap ton of these devices.
Brightness and stuff, probably want to take that up with the hardware vendor. I avoid HTC like the plague.. I blame the HTC Bluderbolt for that. I don't see that issue on my 822.
XBox Music: I tried your example three times, Tim McGraw, Kid Rock, and Eminem. Each time I would back out to the artist list and it would be right where I left off. I blame the Blondes.
Keyboard i can't comment on, but I'd pay $100 for Swype. WP has a good keyboard, but I still miss Swype.
Boot up time, not sure I'd call that a flaw. It doesn't seem that bad, WP8 is using Secure Boot so I don't know if that adds a little bit to the boot time or not. Either way, boot up time is about as minor as an issue as there can be. I take it to mean you are mostly happy with the device. :-)
- 12-12-2012, 03:49 PM #16
- 12-12-2012, 03:50 PM #17
I will say that I think having just 3 brightness settings is weird. I've never used auto brightness on any device because it would never seen to work right. Only having 3 has made me just leave it on. So far, on the Nokia hardware I don't mind. But I can see how it could be annoying if it doesn't work right.
- 12-12-2012, 03:54 PM #19
Hmmmm, I spent a good amount of money on my new vehicle (a ton more than this phone costs) and yet I still found things that need improvement; overall, I still like the vehicle.
It would be nice if the settings were at least listed in alphabetical order and the predictive text also causes me to type slower, (was faster on the iPhone) but not a deal breaker. Coming from an iPhone, this OS boot quicker and runs apps much smoother. I jailbroke my iPhone as it needed lots of help, though I haven't felt the need to do that on this OS yet . Actually, the thing I want most for this phone is a TDAmeritrade trading app, or else I have to transfer everything to E-trade
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
Last edited by Jastow; 12-12-2012 at 11:06 PM.
12-12-2012, 06:24 PM #20
- 208 Posts
- 0 Post(s)
- 0 Thread(s)
I like how everybody comes to this thread to nitpick at the weakest flaw in the list and feel big. Nobody even bothered to talk about the keyboard for example - because that would involve admitting that it could do with improvement.
Typing speed has definitely decreased for me. I can still go fast - and I still think this keyboard is fantastic and the autocorrect is amazing - but there's a feeling of the keyboard always trying to catch up. I have to mollycoddle it, I have to help it along, I have to make decisions. What I loved about the WP7 keyboard was the fact that I could type as fast as I wanted and be confident that the keyboard would be right there with me, autocorrecting nicely. I'd maybe have to go back and edit one or two words which any autocorrect system would struggle with.
Brightness - I find Auto does just fine for me. Haven't really played about with the manual settings, but they all seemed fit for purpose. My HD7's auto setting did absolutely nothing - so maybe I'm spoiled.
It is annoying that the camera forces the screen to be ULTRA BRIGHT, and also unnecessary. I can live with it though - I don't spend that much time with the camera actually active, and when I do, I'm not really fussed about brightness. Battery won't take that much of a hit in such a short amount of time.
I haven't seen that particular bug in Zune/Xbox Music - but what with all the massive amounts of wrongness in Xbox Music I wouldn't be surprised.
The volume problems are a widely-reported thing which I myself have not encountered. Guess I've gotten lucky?
The Setting menu is a horrid hunt-and-peck. At least on a full-unlocked WP7 device there were tweakers out there which could move the settings around - bliss.
I too would love animated Bing backgrounds, even if it's only possible in the app! Surely it's within the phone's capabilities?!
And as for the boot time....yes, it is much longer than my HD7 which never ceased to amaze me with how quick it booted up. No, it's not a massive issue - except for those who have their phone reboot multiple times a day...!!
it's also not an excuse to come into a thread, call "troll" and start high-fiving each other, sigh
- 12-12-2012, 06:43 PM #22
WP7 keyboard >>>>>>> WP8 keyboard. my typing speed has decreased significantly. I'm assuming this is due to the increased DPI.
Also, WP8 is in serious need of a PDF viewer/editor.
- 12-12-2012, 07:03 PM #23
Not really, I have two apps to view PDFs in.
And the typing speed IME from WP7.5 to WP8 is significantly improved. This is probably due to the fact that my WP7.5 device was a 3.7" unit while my WP8 one is a 4.5" one.I like how everybody comes to this thread to nitpick at the weakest flaw in the list and feel big. Nobody even bothered to talk about the keyboard for example - because that would involve admitting that it could do with improvement.it's also not an excuse to come into a thread, call "troll" and start high-fiving each other, sigh
edit: if the above comments werent directed at me or a group that you feel includes me, then Im sorry for assuming.
- 12-12-2012, 11:52 PM #24
jcagg, we can only hope MS and Nokia give us more control but for now we can be happy we all feel WP8 is better than iOS and Android.
With iOS and Andorid I could never find things quickly enough. The screen brightness was terrible to maintain, battery life was sketchy, updates were slow, the UI was terrible, etc. The biggest thing though, is WP8 allows us to access our data quicker and easier than iOS and Android so if nothing else we should be happy there.
- By ChristianKing in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 37Last Post: 07-09-2012, 11:11 AM
- By davold in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 12Last Post: 12-25-2011, 12:07 PM
- By Bearach in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 6Last Post: 10-04-2011, 07:15 PM
- By DonDi1989 in forum Software Development and HackingReplies: 1Last Post: 09-20-2011, 12:31 PM
- By dave3211 in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 6Last Post: 11-08-2010, 05:38 PM