"Error: cannot play this file on your phone." for EVERY SONG?!

Agpe17

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
This JUST started today on my 8x. I have the music pass, and up until today, there were no issues. I stream everything (don't download), and I can't play ANYTHING anymore.

What's going on??

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
This JUST started today on my 8x. I have the music pass, and up until today, there were no issues. I stream everything (don't download), and I can't play ANYTHING anymore.

What's going on??

my phone does this from time to time on sync'd music , the music plays anyways tho after I dismiss the message. Its gotta be a bug

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to waste your time if you are way invested in zune/xbox. I was super excited about the announcement of being the first company to merge renting and personal library storage. Just came from android using amazon cloud player to store and rhapsody to rent.

Boy am I disappointed that Xbox music is half baked. Hope they fix it someday. I am just glad I'm not a Zune migrator. They are the ones being stung the hardest.

So for now I'm back to using Rhapsody. The WP app is pretty good and only lacks the offline saving mode that it has for android. Hope they update that soon. Oh and they just released the Xbox app!

So I we have win7 pc's, Xbox, 2 winphones, and a workout mp3 player. So what service will sync all my playlists to all those things with ONE subscription? Rhapsody. That I can't use Xbox music on my win7 PC baffles me given the staggering number of win7 vs win8 users there are.

One other thing I find odd. I just got an Xbox and 2 winphones for my wife and I. You know, to rock the '3 screens' paradigm that ms is claiming to be a market pioneer in. I could almost taste it... One Xbox music pass to keep all our purchased music in the cloud to cache or stream to any device any time....to be able to have playlists containing both rented and owned tracks synced seamlessly to everything.... We'd share the same SkyDrive to keep all our pics and docs in one common place to be maintained and curated by either of us at any time from any 'screen'.... Only now do I see how foolish that was because we each have to keep separate windows id's for our phones. Which means separate skydrives and, much more annoying....multiple Xbox music passes....

Which means I can pay MS $20 per month for us to curate separate collections that don't play from our WINDOWS pc's nor sync reliably to the phones or on a basic mp3 at all.... Or pay Rhapsody $15 to deliver any music we want wherever we want.... I really wanted to simplify by going all in by making our house all ms services.... Now I feel bad for thinking of leaving rhapsody.

Sorry about the long rant. Thought rhapsody deserved a nod. I don't understand why it never get's mentioned compared to Spotify. I think it's better.

CapnPauly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I had this happen to me once before. I killed the app then rebooted the phone and it started working fine.

Things are still a little buggy, as we can all see from the threads here, but by-and-large, I'm pretty happy with the phone and am eager to see where it goes with some updates and how willing MS is to listening to the user-base for said updates.

Thargoid

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting this problem too - continuously I get the message "Sorry, we cant play this file on your phone" on all my music mp3's
I copied the files over from Amazon Music. They play fine on my PC from Skydrive and on my Nexus 7 tablet from Skydrive, but not on my Nokia 920 phone
I have tried using wifi and the mobile network with no success.
I have tried playing them on two different wifi areas (at home and at work)

I'm getting quite annoyed now.

CapnPauly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting this problem too - continuously I get the message "Sorry, we cant play this file on your phone" on all my music mp3's
I copied the files over from Amazon Music. They play fine on my PC from Skydrive and on my Nexus 7 tablet from Skydrive, but not on my Nokia 920 phone
I have tried using wifi and the mobile network with no success.
I have tried playing them on two different wifi areas (at home and at work)

I'm getting quite annoyed now.
I think there is something about WP8 not being able to play DRMed music. Do some searching around the forums to see if there was a remedy/work around.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
If I understand this correctly; Xbox music has some bugs. When you put your music on device, it uploads to cloud. From what I see on my phone, it streams the music to your device or it is looking for a license code or something. It doesn't play your local music from device. If you try turning off data and playing locally stored music, it won't play or you get error code with delayed start of track. If you do not have service or it can't access cloud service, it won't play your locally stored music. I don't understand why and it could just be my devices but try it. Neither my Surface or 920 will play locally stored music without data connection. I'm still trying to work through all the different scenarios to get a better idea what is going on. Xbox music is a cluster to say the least. I almost always listen when on WiFi so it wasn't an issue but if it is streaming my locally stored music I can see a huge data bill possible. I'm still working through it.

Also, if you are coming off free trial to paid subscription there is a couple of days interruption in service. Billing issue or something. A lot of us have had this problem. Xbox music sounds good on paper but MS is still working on delivering what was promised.

Christopher Curless

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I love my windows Phone best phone Ive ever had and I just got done reading these threads and wanted to make sure that this is not a major problem right? Like My music plays fine even if that message pops up. But that doesnt mean like there is something wrong with my phone that will cause it to break or cause other problems right?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte