Nokia Maps (transportation)

Mosov

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
So my biggest problem with the windows phone is nokia maps. I always liked Google Maps more.

Why doesn't Nokia Maps have firstly detailed enough on public transportation? Why doesn't it have info about restaurants? For example in Google Maps you can click on a given place (labelled) and it gives you the phone number, description, and some reviews.

Morq

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Because Nokia Maps are not as well known as googles.
Those labels showing places are added by local owners, if noone heard about nokia maps then noone added their buisness there. You have however lens which show a lot of places on the map.

DroBoy

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
See what I don't understand is how is Nokia Drive and Nokia Maps not better than google nav and maps. Before Nokia Drive and Maps it was with Ovi Maps and Nokia devices such as the N95 had built in maps and nav, way before the "smartphone era".

Mosov

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
It's a big handicap. But why isn't transportation showing up, and why isn't Nokia Maps integrated with the Nokia transportation app? I don't understand why people praise Nokia maps, even Bing maps is better.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
for example, in google maps, you can click on the bus station icon in the map and it gives you a list of the bus numbers that stop there and the times. Nokia maps doesn't do this.

The simple reality is that there are more people using google maps which means there is more information being fed into them. At this rate, google maps gets further ahead of Nokia Maps every day.

Mosov

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
The simple reality is that there are more people using google maps which means there is more information being fed into them. At this rate, google maps gets further ahead of Nokia Maps every day.

so what's the point of promoting Nokia Maps? The whole point of maps is information. Why would anyone pick a map system with the lesser of information....?

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I still can't believe that Nokia maps was touted as an advantage. I feel like I was lied to. Both the database and the ui are so far behind google that there is no comparison.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
On my L920 maps are showing up upside down, north is south, and east is on the left. The state of Massachusetts is literally azz backwards. And my location is off by a mile.

Also, 'fastest time' for 90% of routes I tried programming were minutes slower than shorter and efficient routes.

This shouldn't even be available as Beta yet.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Because Nokia Maps are not as well known as googles.
Those labels showing places are added by local owners, if noone heard about nokia maps then noone added their buisness there. You have however lens which show a lot of places on the map.

This is the answer.

The database needs populating. It's not going to do it its self..

Mosov

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
and how long will it take to fill that database to the level of google? Maybe years? Though it's not very hard to have the bus icons display the bus schedules like in google maps.

I like Window 8 Phone....the only thing is the maps. If Google can make a maps app for windows phone, then it will be perfect.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
and how long will it take to fill that database to the level of google? Maybe years? Though it's not very hard to have the bus icons display the bus schedules like in google maps.

I like Window 8 Phone....the only thing is the maps. If Google can make a maps app for windows phone, then it will be perfect.

That won't happen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon