Has Microsoft acknowledged that they have some work to do?

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
DISCLAIMER: I am not posting this to talk about what is wrong or right with WP8. I'm simply just asking if anyone has heard of MSFT stating that they realize that they have to add a few more features in order to be more enticing to outsiders. I know that MSFT has said they are coming with an update as well, but for some reason I am sensing a lack of transparency in MSFT doings. I know they want to keep certain things on the hush, but throw us fans a bone sometimes. We were in the dark about WP8 for a long time and to an extent, we still are.

AGAIN, I don't want to talk about whats wrong or right about WP8. Just if MSFT has acknowledge some of these things. I don't do twitter, so I don't keep up with them there although I am tempted.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
My experience: you are not missing much by not being on Twitter. Unless you keep your eyes glued to the stream, most tweets pass you by unread. Sure, you can search, etc., but then you might as well keep tabs on a blog, where more information is available.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
MS has consistently said that they plan to add more functionality and ability to WP.

Even if it was the most robust OS in the world, they're still going to try to improve it. Same with Google and Apple with their operating systems. It's never done. There's always work to do.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen anything personally. But I sure hope that MS knows that they do. I can't believe they would be so naive as not to.

By the same token, has any OEM everh acknowledged they have work to do?

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Well they did acknowledge the lack of a notification center and are working on it. They also acknowledged the WiFi problem and have delivered a fix...

They have delivered new features within one month of the release of the phones.

Thread is kind of silly, IMO. No company is that transparent regarding their future roadmap.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Attention competitors!!!! My company is going to try and implement this, this, and that, in order to compete with you. Please do not use this knowledge to come up with something even more kick a$s than what we are saying we want to do here. Thank you.

Signed,
My Company.

ryuh3d

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
The upcoming Portico update already adds requested features (keep Wifi alive, SMS draft, etc...). It is obvious that Microsoft is going to keep improving upon WP8.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Attention competitors!!!! My company is going to try and implement this, this, and that, in order to compete with you. Please do not use this knowledge to come up with something even more kick a$s than what we are saying we want to do here. Thank you.

Signed,
My Company.

You know, anything that MS does to "catch up" to what other OS have as basic functionality wont really be ground breaking news to the competitors. All the competitors will really be saying is "oh you can do that now! We could do that 3 years ago." Microsoft's ace is their live tiles and people-centric OS. Adding a feature like being able to save an video file from e-mail is hardly news to other OS. This notification center thing they will implement...yeah...they been doing that. No news there. There are tons of BASIC functions that "them over there" are doing that we can't And some will say we don't need to do that, when there are a bunch of things no one NEEDS. You don't even NEED a smartphone, but you have one.

When I speak of transparency, I don't mean for them to give away all what they plan to do. Just an indication of things to come. Android tells their future business all the time, doesn't mean they care much. I guess when you are on top of the market though you don't care as much. I'm just wanting to find out if these same folks that are the faces of MS voice anything even slightly revealing.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Android tells future business? You have no idea what is going into the next release of Android until they announce the next release. Same for iOS, and same for Windows Phone.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
We won't get any indication of features Microsoft is currently working on, at least not until their release is imminent.

However, I agree that Microsoft needs to do a better job of reassuring us that they are listening to users and taking feedback seriously. Although Microsoft is doing exactly that, I understand those who are sceptical. Many will have a hard time grasping what Microsoft has been working on these last 12 months, given that WP8 doesn't seem like such a big step beyond what we already had in WP7, at least not on the surface. Microsoft does need to do a better job communicating.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
The upcoming Portico update already adds requested features (keep Wifi alive, SMS draft, etc...). It is obvious that Microsoft is going to keep improving upon WP8.
The sad thing is they still haven't delivered everything that they announced during the WP8 introduction in June.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
So long as they admit behind closed doors and update it to all their WP 8 devices for at least two years (or two major cycles), I am fine with no transparency. Keep as hush-hush as you want so long as the proof in in the OS support.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss