Can Windows Phone even have a chace without Google?

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Not as good when I'm readiong things like this though (from this forum):
for example, in google maps, you can click on the bus station icon in the map and it gives you a list of the bus numbers that stop there and the times. Nokia maps doesn't do this.
The simple reality is that there are more people using google maps which means there is more information being fed into them. At this rate, google maps gets further ahead of Nokia Maps every day
On my L920 maps are showing up upside down, north is south, and east is on the left. The state of Massachusetts is literally azz backwards. And my location is off by a mile.

Also, 'fastest time' for 90% of routes I tried programming were minutes slower than shorter and efficient routes.

This shouldn't even be available as Beta yet.
Because Nokia Maps are not as well known as googles.
Those labels showing places are added by local owners, if noone heard about nokia maps then noone added their buisness there. You have however lens which show a lot of places on the map.
and how long will it take to fill that database to the level of google? Maybe years? Though it's not very hard to have the bus icons display the bus schedules like in google maps

I'd be inclined to have no real issues with all of that, were it not for the fact that I'm a heavy map and nav user on my phone (and don't have to pay a dime for it)

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: Interesting editorial over on Engadget...thoughts?

Engadget (and other blogs) are populated by Mac users with iPhones or Androids who are extensive users of Google services and a couple of "must have" apps that nobody else uses. They think the rest of the world is just like them, and are stunned when someone releases a product that isn't meant to cater to their specific needs.

They're the same people who "can't understand" why people buy Windows PCs or use Yahoo.

People still use Yahoo?

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
It's not bad if your Yahoo account is tied to your cable internet provider like mine is. No spam here, and I have 4 Rogers Yahoo emails along with my Gmail and Hotmail accounts

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's not bad if your Yahoo account is tied to your cable internet provider like mine is. No spam here, and I have 4 Rogers Yahoo emails along with my Gmail and Hotmail accounts
Mine was at one time. AT&T was my ISP; however, my Yahoo account reverted to a generic free account when I canceled AT&T Internet service.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Meh. :eck:

If I were to move to an Android, I would use Google supplied tools. I would most likely open a Gmail, use Google maps, and enjoy whatever their advantages are. Heck, I might go get a Chrome laptop and roll all the way. I would hope for a "Bing" application though, because I truly have decided I like it better then Google.

If I were to move to an iPhone, I would most likely follow suit. iPad, Mac, whatever.

But, I enjoy my Windows Phone. I will most likely upgrade to Windows 8. I use Bing, the artist formerly known as Zune for my music and podcasts, Bing maps (even on my computer), and wish I had an 360 instead of a PS3 (okay, it is my Sons. But, dang it, I paid for it!! I can play!!:angry:)

I am not worried about what is missing, because otherwise I wouldn't own a WP. As MS improves their services, this will become a smaller and smaller issue. Google will support WP at some point just like they support iOS: Because they are not stupid and they need the traffic to promote their advertisments which keeps the lights on at the HQ at 1 Google Plaza (or wherever). Then, this will go on the scrap heap of "much ado about nothing", which is a pretty big heap of things.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Not as good when I'm readiong things like this though (from this forum):

You don't pay a dime -- you simply provide all of your private data, including your location, email, phone details, phone conversations, etc.

I'd be inclined to have no real issues with all of that, were it not for the fact that I'm a heavy map and nav user on my phone (and don't have to pay a dime for it)

Mosov

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone needs dedicated Facebook, Youtube, Gmail, and Google Maps apps to survive. If I was microsoft, I would be working day and night to get native versions of these apps.

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Kind of off topic, but in an effort to go "all in" on the MS ecosystem, I set up an outlook.com email, forwarded my Gmail, forwarded my Yahoo Plus, and IMAPed 3 addys from/related to my website/small business...I get a duplicate email every.single. time. Two of every email that goes to the inbox and two of each that goes into the junk folder...

Anyone else have this going on and figured out how to fix it? Forever I have had my Gmail forwarded to Yahoo, not really ever using Gmail for email purposes, I just kept the calendar and contacts current in gmail to access them on whatever device I was carrying at the moment...I have checked in the settings of Yahoo, and have changed it between just forwarding/forwarding and deleting/forwarding and storing--it makes no difference, I still get dupes of everything...

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Engadget as a source of anything classed as "information" is insane to me...

Short answer; yes of course it can survive without Google.

Long answer; yes of course it can survive without Google, things always change. It could be a slow change or something that blows up overnight, but things always change.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
no it doesn't. Metrotube is BETTER than Youtube and same goes for Nokia Maps. Nokia owns NAVTEQ and their maps are in 70% of car navigation systems around the world. NOT Google's.

Mafiatounes

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I am not bothered by the article, i will move everything to outlook this is google's loss, my gmail account will only be of use on youtube and rss, i have to use gmail on my Nexus 7 however untill i find a new tablet on W8(maybe RT).

Verstuurd van mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
That article made my brain hurt. I hope I never meet the melodramatic hipster assgoblin who wrote that.

He even wrote that Windows Phone didn't have a proper Youtube client, despite the existence of MetroTube, and he dares call himself a tech writer.

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I ditched Yahoo Mail since it had an awful spam filter. Stuff that hotmail/outlook.com and Gmail filtered as spam made it into my inbox in Yahoo.

Yeah?
Maybe true. I'm using my yahoo account for forum and site subscriptions only ... since I don't know how many years. So to me, my yahoo account is the one allowed to be spammed (which will happen sooner or later if you use it for any subscriptions). So, why change, why not keeping all subscriptions at one account, I thought, because getting rid of yahoo and move everything to some hotmail account would be quite an effort (as I said, my yahoo account is old ... very old ... it stems from end of the nineties). Maybe it's also because of the sentimental value I still have and use it, it's the first email account I evrer had, opened by me even before i started using the internet from home.

What I don't want is all so link all subscriptions to my main mail account (which is the one provided by my internet service provider).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6