Can Windows Phone even have a chace without Google?

howie

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Interesting editorial over on Engadget...thoughts?

...If people are that reliant on Google, they would likely be better served by staying with Android.
It's not just about the Google apps they offer. I do not use Google Docs, Google Maps, Google Drive, etc. I use Gmail and have since it was a private invite. I just don't care to use another email address. It's not Google's fault, but Microsoft's for not supporting open platforms (CardDAV / CalDAV - the email is easy and will still work via pop/imap with polling not push).

Sure. I still have yet to have a Google fan explain to me why Google services aren't completely replaceable with Microsoft services.
The die-hards say "I'll never leave," but they weren't who was being targeted. Moving from Gmail, Google Drive, and Google Search to Outlook.com, SkyDrive and Bing couldn't be easier.

Ask a Google fan "what about Google is so irreplaceable?"
Enjoy the stammering. :)

The services are easy to replace, just a hassle to tell everyone over the last 8 years your new contact info.
I enjoy Windows Phone 8, but it will not make me switch email/contacts/calendar providers. If Apple (being super controlling) can support open standards, Microsoft can too.

JussiRM

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, yes?
The only google services I use are google search (on desktop) and gmail, and the latter works - at least now - perfectly well. I hope MS resolves the upcoming issue with google removing support for exchange or something like that.
And okay, I do use google+ with some of my very core friends, but there's an app for that too.
Edit: Almost forgot: Google Maps (again, on desktop). Seems like Nokia Maps are good enough for me (that is, show me where I am and the map - simple things).

rabit1

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
To be fair, I still find google.com search better than bing. And google map and Youtube is just great. Must have. As for gmail, calendar, and contact. I can live without them. I Dont use google+ and google Docs at all. Skydrive is much better here.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The simple reality here is that Microsoft WILL, of course, update both Windows 8/RT and Windows Phone 8/7.8 to support IMAP/calDAV/cardDAV with Google... or they will somehow pressure Google into changing their mind. Either way, consumers won't REALLY be affected by this... at least, not in the long term. How quickly this all happens is the real concern. It's really no skin off Microsoft's teeth if Google drops EAS... all it really does is inconvenience and tick off users, who are more likely to look elsewhere for options. The licensing revenue for Google's use of EAS is probably negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Google refusal to release native apps isn't really a big deal either when you consider that already on WP third-party developers are filling the void EXCELLENTLY with apps like gMaps, Nextgen Reader, MetroTalk, and Metrotube. Not like Google would actually do much better than those apps. So even if Microsoft says, "Nope, IMAP for email is the best you'll get from us" (unlikely response), there will be a third party solution to fill the void in a MetroMail app or something like that.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
If you guys really hate Google then you need to stop using YouTube as well. Go ahead, stop being a hypocrite. If you really hate Google and want to abandon, then do it properly.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, Ammarmalik is right! Also, stop ever using the internet EVER, because you might see some sites with ads, and those companies might also pay Google for ad services, which means that when you see an ad that subconsciously adds some potential that you might buy a product from the ever again, you might be supporting Google.

So basically just find a list of all companies that pay Google money for ANY service, and NEVER use them again.

Get real, Ammarmalik :p .

Its like demanding all Christians get as many jobs as they can physically do, only keep enough money for the bare minimum of survival, and give everything else away, because Christians are supposed to be selfsacrificing and helpful people. While in theory its probably right, its just not a reasonable request.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, Ammarmalik is right! Also, stop ever using the internet EVER, because you might see some sites with ads, and those companies might also pay Google for ad services, which means that when you see an ad that subconsciously adds some potential that you might buy a product from the ever again, you might be supporting Google.

So basically just find a list of all companies that pay Google money for ANY service, and NEVER use them again.

Get real, Ammarmalik :p .

Its like demanding all Christians get as many jobs as they can physically do, only keep enough money for the bare minimum of survival, and give everything else away, because Christians are supposed to be selfsacrificing and helpful people. While in theory its probably right, its just not a reasonable request.
Some things are unavoidable. YouTube is perfectly avoidable. Surely if you hate Google as much as some people here do, letting go of youtube shouldn't be a problem. In fact WPCentral should start uploading videos to vimeo/dailymotion

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Sure, it is avoidable, but so is working 16-18 hours per day and sending everything aside from the cheapest possible housing/food cost to those in need.

Its not very realistic, though.

I get your train of thought, I just dont think its realistic thats all.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Some things are unavoidable. YouTube is perfectly avoidable. Surely if you hate Google as much as some people here do, letting go of youtube shouldn't be a problem. In fact WPCentral should start uploading videos to vimeo/dailymotion

Sounds to me you are a huge Android/Google supporter. If you are writing this on a Windows platform (of any kind) you need to give it up pronto and get yourself a Chromebook. I heard they are awesome (snickers)

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Sounds to me you are a huge Android/Google supporter. If you are writing this on a Windows platform (of any kind) you need to give it up pronto and get yourself a Chromebook. I heard they are awesome (snickers)
I can't believe anybody would use a Chromebook over a cheap laptop with a Linux distribution. What a ridiculous world we live in where people actually buy that.

killer rin

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

On the other hand if we use Ad Block Plus and watch youtube videos, Google doesn't get a cent AND we're costing them money on bandwidth+power

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Let's just say, Google Maps and Google Nav are leap years ahead of the best WP can offer, Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive +. This is from a WP ****** who also used Android. I loathe the stupidity of the design of both Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive+. It seems Nokia never left Windows Mobile/CE days.

The only reason I ever power up my Android phone these days is when I need the Navigation.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Hm I used Nokia Maps on my N8 for an entire 3+ weeks roaming Europe. Worked completely fine as car navigation and walking navigation.

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
On the other hand if we use Ad Block Plus and watch youtube videos, Google doesn't get a cent AND we're costing them money on bandwidth+power
I don't even know what ads look like anymore. Whenever I get a new computer, the first thing I do is install Adblock and Requestpolicy on Firefox so that I don't see a damn thing nor can 3rd party advertisers see me. I'm looking at the 3rd party requests for this forum right now and there's 5 separate trackers here. On sites like the Verge, there's over 10 trackers, sometimes nearly 20.

I know people will hate me for this but a big reason tech savvy people use Android phones over Windows Phone or iPhone is that if you install Adaway on a rooted Android phone, you don't even see ads on your free apps. At all. Zero. Not a single ad enters your device, system-wide.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hm I used Nokia Maps on my N8 for an entire 3+ weeks roaming Europe. Worked completely fine as car navigation and walking navigation.

Same can be said about iOS maps. Of course these are acceptable navigation options but unless you have used better solutions, you just don't know how much you don't have.

I use Google Navigation for two main reasons:

1. Easy sync any address I searched on PC to my phone. So I don't have to ever type any address on to the phone for navigation. Nokia did the half ass way: you can sync address from Here.com to your Nokia map but Nokia drive + don't take any of that.

2. Real time useful traffic information. The traffic information on Nokia map is laughable because 99% of time it shows nothing and I'm living in a 2nd most congested city in US. Google Navigation on the other hand shows you very useful real time traffic infromation clearly (it can even reroute you in case of traffic jams). It obtains that information not only from common traffic information sources but also from other Google map users travelling on the same route.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't even know what ads look like anymore. Whenever I get a new computer, the first thing I do is install Adblock and Requestpolicy on Firefox so that I don't see a damn thing nor can 3rd party advertisers see me. I'm looking at the 3rd party requests for this forum right now and there's 5 separate trackers here. On sites like the Verge, there's over 10 trackers, sometimes nearly 20.

I know people will hate me for this but a big reason tech savvy people use Android phones over Windows Phone or iPhone is that if you install Adaway on a rooted Android phone, you don't even see ads on your free apps. At all. Zero. Not a single ad enters your device, system-wide.

Sorry to say that blocking ads serves the same purpose as pirating paid apps: you deprive app devs' income they really deserve. When you drive app developers away, don't come here to cry about lack of apps in the future.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Coming from the iPhone my observation is that everything Microsoft has made is significantly better than the offerings from google on iOS. Especially Skydrive compared to google docs. I honestly didn't go looking for anything else after I added my gmail account.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb