How to add ringtone and SMS sounds on the phone

fantom555

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I want to add new ringtone and SMS sounds to my Nokia 920 besides getting from apps is there a way to store on the phone so I can access at a later time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

lfjj

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Plug in your Lumia 920 to your computer, it will show up as mass storage device. Lumia 920\Ringtones I believe is the path.

NaughtyNibbler

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I was able to connect my Nokia 920 to my couputer and load ringtones stored on my computer to the Ringtones Folder that appears on the Windows Phone software that appears when you connect your phone to your computer by a cable. (PS: I tried to send ringtones by bluetooth from my dumb phone to the Nokia 920 that I just bought. Although it appeared to work, I couldn't find them on the phone.)

The ringtones that I loaded are available for use on my phone now for calls and alarms. Custom ringtones won't appear for voice message or text message alerts. Might this be a Window's 8 issue or a Nokia issue. The phone I had was just a dumb phone and I loaded my free ringtones via bluetooth to that phone and could use them for anything.

Hopefully this is something that might change with a software update?

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't know that dumb is the right word but it is definitely in need of change. I bought WP8 phones for wife and kid and when anyone gets a text we all have to grab for our phones to find out who!

lfjj

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't know that dumb is the right word but it is definitely in need of change. I bought WP8 phones for wife and kid and when anyone gets a text we all have to grab for our phones to find out who!

You do realise you can change the sms/notifications sound to something else right? It just has to be one of the premades..

rokat

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
These are the Premade ringtones you were talking about:
1. Nokia Calender (already assigned to calendar reminders, can't change it)
2. Nokia Clock (this is about 6+ seconds, not apt for texts)
3. Nokia Email (I use this for texts)
4. Nokia Message (I use this for emails)
5. Windows message
6. Windows reminder
7. Windows VoiceMail (assigned to voicemail)
8. Windows Email
9. alert 1
10. alert 2
11. alert 3 (already assigned tone when the phone is plugged in for charging, can't change it)
12. alert 4
13. alert 5 (facebook and whatsapp pre-assigned tone, can't change it either)
14. alert 6
15. alert 7

Most of these are already assigned to apps. so can't use them as we can't customize them. one of the alerts is assigned to viber as well (don't remember which one). Pre-made are not all exclusively used for texts. having like 5-7 options for text message tones is nothing..
This needs to be fixed. they need to either increase the choices or make it customizable. I love the phone but this is one of the most annoying things about it. having more choices would help, especially when they promote every windows phone for yourself as its completely different etc etc..

skl18

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I use another feature for sms on my 820. If you go into:
Settings
Speech
Turn 'read incoming text messages aloud' to 'always on'.

This means when you receive a text, it tells you who it is from, without having to do anything. The phone then prompts you as to what you want to do next, e.g read it or ignore.

If you say read it, you then have more options, e.g reply and a few others.

I'm a painter and I can be up a ladder, say read it and reply whilst still decorating. The phone sits in a pouch off my belt and most times it works fine, occasionally though it does mis-interpret the odd word or two which can be funny.

I wish there was a solution for email as well though!

Hope this helps,

Gino Steuth

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
my cheep trackphone that a use to have had all the customization options for ringtones & Sms sounds! you could even change the welcome banner! so how come my new state of the art smart phone be so "Dumb" as to not have half the features as my trackphone had? :crying: Ahh! :angry: i'm about to switch if microsoft dont start stepping up soon!

foolery

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Folks: Just got my Nokai Lumina 822 and, as you all are saying, I cannot BELIEVE we cannot create custom SMS alerts!. As Gino Sleuth recently noted, there are a mess of premade alert tones - but WHERE are these saved on the phone? My thought was to locate where these are stored and REPLACE them with my own tones... Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks. Tom

irock_you

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
:cry: i've been using Super Mario Coin Sound effect as my SMS/IM alert since the dawn of the ugly ol' Symbian phones back in 2003
Microsoft... "y u very behind"?

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Not possible through that folder.
Because I have already added many Ringtones to my phone.
If it was so, these ringtones would also appear in the Message Alert Tone column too.

josh montoon

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nokia 520 and you can NOT add custom sms sound to the phone. The lug heads at either Microsoft or Nokia are either to slow or stupid to understand that everybody loves their own sms sound. :confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa