It's been a week now. WTH is the update for the 8X, Microsoft?!?

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Lets see the last update that apple rolled out that i downloaded was over 4 years ago bricked my iphone then had itunes stuck in some odd download loop. Had to reset and reload everything only for it to brick the phone again on its second attempt. Contract was almost up so switched to WP6.5, then WP7 a year later now im on WP8 two years later. Never had an issue with Windows phone updates bricking my phone so im still with WP and loving it. Please dont tell me that Apple get things right. They didnt back then and they still dont now.

Oh and just to rub salt in the wound as it were - I got my 8X update Friday morning. No more reboots, shutdowns or errors and the additional tweaks to the OS and the battery life are amazing

Last edited:

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Glad your 8X works for you. Lots of other people need this fix yesterday. Telling them "deal with it until we decide to get it to you even though it is finished" isn't cool.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Glad your 8X works for you. Lots of other people need this fix yesterday. Telling them "deal with it until we decide to get it to you even though it is finished" isn't cool.

It works now and I'm glad it does too - I had 24 days of misery trying to get a replacement sent out from HTC. Was on the verge of going back to O2 and asking to switch handset manufacturer my phone was that bad.
You are right though in one respect once the unbranded 8X's were used as a testbed it should have been a global rollout not Europe first then other parts of the world to follow at some unspecified time. Its not a lot of help to you right now but the update will come and hopefully it solves your issues and improves your experience with your 8X

My original point however is that Apple are just as likely to mess things up as anyone else. Its only the media marketing and the reality distortion field that stops everyone noticing.

Nostr3z

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Never had a problem with my 8X before the update and after the update nothing changend on that part.
As for updates i could care less when it comes, as longs as it come.
If i want to cry about speeding things up its more like " 4 days to holiday,s season ? "
I dont mind to be a tester if thats the case , and if not, i dont mind that to.
Plan simple is to get the update that should works as it should ,no more,no less.

Peace and Greetz.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The "enthusiast program" does not exist at the moment, so there has not been anything to sign up for.
that's exactly my point . Op is claiming something that does not exist and made up something that's not true at all.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Board Express

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so general feedback is... "nobody needs updates." Go forth and ask your friends and colleagues if that is true.

Wow, where are you getting this stuff? I think the general feedback is, "chill, bro, the update will get here, give MS a chance to get stuff running properly."

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Where did you get that conclusion from? Everyone wants update but they understannd it is not ready yet, especially with carriers still dragging the process. Don't be fooled by iOS updates. Apple just doesn't release updates early to anyone. They wait until carriers all approved before they announce and roll out. When you have near half of the smart phone market share, carriers tend to move things faster for you than the 1% WP phones.
Okay, so general feedback is... "nobody needs updates." Go forth and ask your friends and colleagues if that is true.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Board Express

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, guys, but Microsoft's update experience is the worst of any operating system on the market. Very bottom of the barrel.

iOS gets updates instantaneously, around the world.
Android Nexus devices get it within a few days.
BlackBerry devices get them OTA or downloaded, and BB10 will offer carrier-independent OTA on launch.

Microsoft? Still stuck in 1999.

Deny all you want, say it's wonderful that our devices don't get updates for weeks or months (depending on what carrier you're on), but the update experience for Windows Phone SUCKS. It's that bad, and it does the struggling-to-break-through OS no favors.

I don't see any point in rioting in front of Redmond over it -- rather, Microsoft needs to put some more thought into user experience and put the user first (rather than the carrier). Every other major ecosystem has already figured that out, and in a market this competitive, sub-par updating isn't going to cut it.

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Android might be worse, ever hear of the different carriers delaying updates? Trust me I've been there with Verizon. It all comes down to the carriers more or less.

Nophix

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Android devices that are not Nexus (IE, most of them), are lucky to ever see an update of any kind. Even Nexus isn't immune. Look at the trainwreck that was the Verizon Galaxy Nexus! What a joke!

iOS has it nailed down. But, they have no carrier ties, and produce both hardware and software in house, so they have an advantage. If Microsoft can manage to pull it together and develope a system akin to Windows Updates for the phones, it would be fantastic, but you know carriers want their fingers in the mix.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, guys, but Microsoft's update experience is the worst of any operating system on the market. Very bottom of the barrel.

BlackBerry devices get them OTA or downloaded, and BB10 will offer carrier-independent OTA on launch.

Deny all you want, say it's wonderful that our devices don't get updates for weeks or months (depending on what carrier you're on), but the update experience for Windows Phone SUCKS. It's that bad, and it does the struggling-to-break-through OS no favors.

I don't see any point in rioting in front of Redmond over it -- rather, Microsoft needs to put some more thought into user experience and put the user first (rather than the carrier). Every other major ecosystem has already figured that out, and in a market this competitive, sub-par updating isn't going to cut it.

I hope you have a T-Mobile 8X so you can stop your crying.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

iOS releases 1 or 2 updates a year. WP8 has been out a month and a half.
How many Android devices never get updates?
Blackberry devices are LUCKY to get an update if their carrier ever gets around to it. AT&T has released a grand total of ONE update to OS7 for the BB9900. Rogers is the same for the 9810. These are the two flagship models.

Again, rolling out an update less than 2 months after launch is pretty impressive.

Now, to quote Gandalf...
"An update never arrives late. Nor is it early. It arrives precisely when it means to."

If that isn't good enough, go buy a freakin idroid already.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Android devices that are not Nexus (IE, most of them), are lucky to ever see an update of any kind. Even Nexus isn't immune. Look at the trainwreck that was the Verizon Galaxy Nexus! What a joke!
This is no longer the case, the Nexus 4 doesn't have any regional variations like the GNex did. That's the direction nexus phones are heading now. If MS makes those rumored Surface Phones you might be getting the same service.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
You know... I'm forming the opinion that a Windows Phone just isn't your cup of tea.

Because I don't like the worst-in-class update experience, it's not my "cup of tea?"

By that standard, I couldn't use technology in general.

I just want Microsoft to improve user experience to a level that is competitive on updates -- especially when the update in question is designed to fix a serious reboot problem.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
This is no longer the case, the Nexus 4 doesn't have any regional variations like the GNex did. That's the direction nexus phones are heading now. If MS makes those rumored Surface Phones you might be getting the same service.

You speak the truth here. Nexus 4 phones will get Android updates ASAP, regardless of carrier. Ditto iPhone 4, 4S and 5.

Microsoft should be aiming to at least equal those important competitors, rather than putting out excuses like "this update could be a complete train wreck, so you might not want it anyway" or "updates take time" or any of the other 4,000 excuses from 1999 that people are posting.

(Some of the Microsoft apologists are funny, though. I'm waiting for one of them to say updates are HORRENDOUS, and demand an OTA rollback to NoDo.) :grincry:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss