Why doesn't WP8/Bing search answer questions?

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Pretty straightforward question I hope: why doesn't search answer questions?

If I'm using Bing in my browser and I ask a question, such as: How old is Peyton Manning, it gives me his age. I don't have to search any further. Similarly if I ask it to convert 30,000 yen to US dollars, I get the answer without having to search further.

When I use search on my Windows Phone, it just gives me links. WHY?! This is very frustrating. I'd like to use the built-in search functionality, but it doesn't give me the output I require, and I end up using Google Search b/c it actually answers my queries.

I don't get it, the information is there in Bing, but my phone won't give me the result. Perhaps someone can explain. This seems like a pretty major flaw/oversight.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I asked the Payton Manning Question and some links but I got one link with his age being 35. 3rd link down. Is that a lot of work for you or what was the issue with the result?

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Search via Google Search app or use Bing in your web browser. You'll see exactly what I'm talking about. What you found is an answer contained within the preview of the link it found. And yes, it is too much work to scan the resulting links, particularly when the Bing engine knows the answer and could put the result at the top, just as it does in a browser.

Last edited:

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I've noticed that lack of "natural language"/"contextual" results and found it pretty annoying. Especially as it would be almost Siri-like if they included it. They have really missed a trick. (Seems like the story of WP8...)

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
because it's a search engine it looks for keyword. it's not a personal assistance even though most think it is. a lot of users need to learn how to use a search engine optimally and to minimize the use of redundant words in searches

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
because it's a search engine it looks for keyword. it's not a personal assistance even though most think it is. a lot of users need to learn how to use a search engine optimally and to minimize the use of redundant words in searches

Sorry, but this is so much nonsense. Bing answers questions in a browser. Does that mean Bing IS a personal assistant, but ONLY when I'm using it in a browser? And, no I don't need to learn how to use a search engine optimally. MS needs to learn to incorporate their existing technology into their mobile product. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but you're making excuses.

jaethos

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
It is annoying that the WP8 search isn't as full featured as the browser version.

For those of you giving excuses, you're missing the point. The phone gives the same links as the browser, but the browser also gives you the answer straight out, so you don't have to click any links. The WP8 implementation is missing abilities the browser version has. I suspect it's missing abilities the IOS bing app has too, because that's how MS rolls.

Jastow

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't care for it either; however, it does seem useful for locating stores or restaurants. I just changed the IE search option to Google and type my questions in the address line.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Peyton manning - search

Click Wikipedia link...done.

The only time I type an actual question is when I'm looking for let's say vehicle fix it info, non-factual information. I wouldn't expect the search engine to spit out the answer, but links to forums where topic posts were in the form of a question.

However, if the Bing website answers questions but the Bing search button doesn't, that seems odd. I haven't used either enough to know there are any differences but would think giving identical results would be best.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Peyton manning - search

Click Wikipedia link...done.

The only time I type an actual question is when I'm looking for let's say vehicle fix it info, non-factual information. I wouldn't expect the search engine to spit out the answer, but links to forums where topic posts were in the form of a question.

However, if the Bing website answers questions but the Bing search button doesn't, that seems odd. I haven't used either enough to know there are any differences but would think giving identical results would be best.

Glad that it works for you, but it's yet another instance of an extra click, swipe, or tap compared to other platforms. Sure, everyone could just look it up on Wikipedia. But on Android and iOS you can just ask the question and it's answered.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven