What do you want to see in wp9?

Ka Kit U

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Wp8 is a breathe of fresh air compare to wp7/7.5.

But It's still far from prefect, so they roll out an OTA update to fix some issues.

But let's be realistic here, the update will stop at some point. They can fix and change little things, but some major features will only be available in the next gen of OS. Just like 7.8 will never be the same as 8.

So, what do you want to see in wp9? Remember, it should be significant enough to be considered in the next OS.

EDIT: let me clarify. No I don't mean wp8 device won't be able to be upgraded to wp9 (or will it?!), I was trying to ask the difference between the two generations of OS only.

WP8 vs WP9, what will be the difference?

Last edited:

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully, they'll fix this before WP9, but reliable, consistent and globally available updates, independent of "carrier testing" and other mealy-mouthed BS.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Its a bit hard to even talk about the next OS right now. WP8 is just out the door. In the mobile world, what is there that we dont have that they cant provide in an update? At the present time, while the OS is far from perfect and needs to have some features/tweaks added, there doesnt seem to be a huge need for anything yet that we would want in the next OS. I expect we will have at least one major update for WP8, and a couple smaller ones that arent strictly bug fixes. With those, I expect to see the features we've been wanting like sound control and notification center.

I really cant think of anything to be honest.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Third paragraph I believe is wrong, because wp7 ran on a different kernel so the usefulness to run a more feature rich os on the specs wp7 has is not good.

I believe wp9 will definitely come to wp8 handsets at least higher end models.

Now that wp8 is converted over to a new kernel and allows for more flexibility (able to support up to 64cores) these phones seems future proof.

zfarooq

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Wp9 i believe will come wp WP8. The apps will work as well, unlike WP7.

My predictions for WP9:

(1) Lumia's: this might even happen with an update to WP8, having the tap to awake feature (like the N9) instead of hitting a button.
(2) Always on time/date shown on the standby screen

(3) Better voice control (Siri competitor)

(4) Notification screen (more like WP8 honestly)

(5) Multitasking: known to come, ability to close apps running

(6) Edge to edge gestures like W8: maybe a swipe down to close apps, and some other gestures.

Thats all for now.

Ka Kit U

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
(1) Lumia's: this might even happen with an update to WP8, having the tap to awake feature (like the N9) instead of hitting a button.
(2) Always on time/date shown on the standby screen

The first two is so n9... But I think they can(should) do it in wp8

Ka Kit U

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Its a bit hard to even talk about the next OS right now. WP8 is just out the door. In the mobile world, what is there that we dont have that they cant provide in an update? At the present time, while the OS is far from perfect and needs to have some features/tweaks added, there doesnt seem to be a huge need for anything yet that we would want in the next OS. I expect we will have at least one major update for WP8, and a couple smaller ones that arent strictly bug fixes. With those, I expect to see the features we've been wanting like sound control and notification center.

I really cant think of anything to be honest.

I think it is not that they can't, but they wouldn't. I sitll believe they can port wp8 on wp7.5 device if they want, but they settle with 7.8, so fans had no choice but turn to the new phone. They need to differentiate the OS in order to push the next line of product. Buy a new phone if you want that feature, business logic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills