Windows Phone 8 Nokia Lumia 810 Multiple Copies of Photos

Asad2071

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I've been dragging & dropping a lot for the pictures in my phone, since the Nokia App for Windows 8 kind of sucks, I've been doing it through mass storage. It's created a few problems where I was forced to delete the folders. Then I did it through other methods like the desktop app, and I've encountered more problems there too. SO I just took the sd card out of my phone and Inserted directly to my pc. I was able to drag & Drop everything in the order I wanted. Everything is there now, the only problem that after constantly deleting photos I have multiple copies appearing in photos. I tried deleting the "extras" but it sometimes deletes the actual copy in my sd card. So i don't know which ones stayed there from the previous tries and which ones are actually there for real (in my sd card at the current moment). Is there a way to reset the thumbnail cache (if that's even it? haha). I don't know since settings are very limited in photos. any help is appreciated.

Optimus82

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Just to be clear... Are u getting duplicate file names? Or are you actually looking at duplicates? Because what might be happening is that if you drag and drop to your computer and then delete the ones on your phone\sd card, when you start the camera app it might start all over when naming the files since it does not detect the already named older files

simontl

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem with my Lumia 820. I too have a micro SD card.

It is the thumbnails/cache that is corrupted. Setting the save location back to the phone does not help; a photo saved on the phone appears twice or three times in the Pictures. However, there is only one physical file. I have tried fully reformatting the SD card - in the PC and then in the phone - but this has no effect. So I guess there is a cache or something in a system folder that needs clearing.

Any other ideas rather than a factory reset?

withoutusername

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem with my Lumia 820. I too have a micro SD card.

It is the thumbnails/cache that is corrupted. Setting the save location back to the phone does not help; a photo saved on the phone appears twice or three times in the Pictures. However, there is only one physical file. I have tried fully reformatting the SD card - in the PC and then in the phone - but this has no effect. So I guess there is a cache or something in a system folder that needs clearing.

Any other ideas rather than a factory reset?

I have this issue on Lumia 620 as well. I think this issue appeared after I insert a SD card. Revert back saving to phone back and forth doesn't help.

After taking a photo, mos times it saves once, but sometimes the photo appears twice or thrice even it's same file. Do not want reset the phone as I will lost Whatsapp messages and many hassles. Help appreciated.

ajaytripi

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem and it is frustrating.... happens to me everytime.. nd there is always atleast 3 copies of the same image...

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I've been getting this problem as well...only its more serious than what everyone's described:
I have like 20 or so thumbnails of the same image, and somehow this is also filling up my Others storage because it completely took over my empty space (have 0.00kb free) at which point apps stop working (WPCentral and The Weather Channel simultaneously stopped - and starts working again if you clear out some space by deleting an app) and you can't take pictures anymore ("Oops, you have reached storage on your phone" even though I'm trying to save pix on my SD card)

Any help would be sorely appreciated!

howiewolverine

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
My understanding is that this is an issue that is known to Microsoft that involves some microsd cards. Someone has said that it primarily involves the larger cards. In any event, it can affect pictures, videos and songs stored on the microsd card, and it tends to get worse when you restart your phone or pull the battery. VERY ANNOYING.

dw852

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
So guys, any solution to this problem? My 820 is having this problem lately...
Funny that, I have the Samsung Ativ S using the same model SD card, this phone has no this problem.

Last edited:

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I had this issue on a Verizon 822. Reformatted the card, did soft resets, battery pulls, removing and reinstalling the card, all to no avail. The only thing that worked was a hard reset. I *think* my issues started when the phone was connected to my Win 8.1 laptop and I was rooting around in the Camera Roll directory with Explorer. I've avoided that since and the problem hasn't reoccurred.

dw852

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I had this issue on a Verizon 822. Reformatted the card, did soft resets, battery pulls, removing and reinstalling the card, all to no avail. The only thing that worked was a hard reset. I *think* my issues started when the phone was connected to my Win 8.1 laptop and I was rooting around in the Camera Roll directory with Explorer. I've avoided that since and the problem hasn't reoccurred.

I really don't want to hard reset the handset. So I think I am gonna put up with the duplication for awhile. If it is not fixed, then I would get rid of the Nokia. BTW, I don't think I have connected it to my PC, but I ain't very sure about it.

ogeer

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I don't know about the duplication of files when copying, but I found Nokia Camera to duplicate the last photo when you re-start the app. Take a photo, close the app, open the app again, et voila, you have a duplicate... does not happen with the stock on-board camera, nor does Nokia Camera duplicate a pic taken by the stock camera. I defaulted back to stock camera app and keep Nokia Camera for the special photo moments so I don't get too many duplicates...

sunco

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I backup and then change some folders names and create new ones with same name. Now photos hub displays black boxes

I'm using Lumia 920 and 8.1

RoyalX

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
So guys, any solution to this problem? My 820 is having this problem lately...
Funny that, I have the Samsung Ativ S using the same model SD card, this phone has no this problem.
What card do you have?

This is a common problem on WP8. It happens also with music files.
I have this problem on my Ativ S. At first with music files and months later with photos.
Don't know either if there is a solution for it, but some say it is fixed in WP8.1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6