What are the best alternatives to Google Reader?

Frenzytom

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Since we have been hearing news of being less reliant on Google products as Google seems to be cutting their support for WP. One of the main things I have been hearing is what is a good Google Reader replacement for Microsoft or third party that everyone is using? Google Reader is great for viewing desktop and mobile news and keeping them in sync. I currently use Nextgen Reader but there is no good desktop equivalent. If we are to be totally Google-free, this is a major sticking point...

Suggestions welcome!

Mafiatounes

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Nextgen Reader is awesome on both W8 and WP8. (Never mind it's Google Reader not what op is looking for).

Verstuurd van mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Last edited:

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nextgen Reader is awesome on both W8 and WP8.

But Nextgen Reader uses Google Reader. The OP is looking for a replacement for Google Reader.

I think the only option at this point is a stand-alone RSS reader. Which isn't a replacement for Google Reader in that it's local to the device on which it's installed. This is why I haven't completely nuked my Google account from space, yet.

Frenzytom

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
The ideal RSS feed aggregator for me is a web-based version and a OS mobile version. Having a dedicated desktop (PC or Mac) version is kind of a secondary need, which makes Google Reader such a hard killer app to mimic.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Just because Google has decided not to support Windows Phone doesn't mean you should just go on a mindless boycott. The truth is there's nothing as good as YouTube and Google Reader so just be happy we have great 3rd party apps we can use on Windows Phone. Just use MetroTube and NextGen Reader, they're awesome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon