Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Not useless I use it Everyday for info or scout or grab some pictures

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I have made the move from google to Bing about a month ago and it does take some gettin used to. However, I now think it is as every bit as good a search engine as google. I use the search button almost constantly on my 900. I do wish it gave Bing rewards though.
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    Winfonejunkie likes this.

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    It's ok for me for qr code and music identity, but it'd be much better if the button performs the same way as the search charm in win 8
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I use the search button regularly, but I would much prefer it to be contextual...with a long press in order to activate Bing. A guy can dream.....

I think a better compromise would be to allow the app to have bing hooks. If you launch it from an app the app's hooks could then take priority in ranking. That would allow for consistent behavior and also allow search hits for an app from outside the app.

I use the search button all the time. I actually prefer it to not be contextual. I like knowing that whenever I need to search(music ID, Code scanning, etc), it is only one key press away. I do wish MS would expand it a little though. I miss the "Just Type" functionality from webOS.

I used to think it was useless, but then got the hang of it. QR reader, identifying music, checking out latest news, and bing search as well. so pretty useful I must say.

omg on screen text translation! I could use this soooooo much!

When your in an app and need to search for something, what exactly is it you want to search for? Most apps have a dedicated search function so I don't get why you want or need this on the search button.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtim View Post
    Ahh! Something else I didn't know!

No way, this search is the opposite of useless. Whoever says otherwise needs to examine the dictionary definition for the word "useless".
    I wouldn't say useless either but I would definitely like a device wide search on that. Now THAT would be useful.
    Connie L - Windows Phone 8 always

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    The music identifier is huge. Especially since its tied into the Xbox music store.

Also highlight a word then hit the search button. you're welcome.
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq likes this.

I use the search button all of the time. Where it's to search for something or to use Tellme in order to copy and paste what I've just spoken into an app, e.g. Nokia Drive.
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Not completely useless, but pretty damn close. No reason why one of the three dedicated buttons should be dedicated to Bing. If Bing sucked much less, than sure. I'd rather it be linked to IE with Google set as my homepage honestly.

At least 50% of my interaction with the search button is hitting it by accident when I am trying to do something else and then going $%#@@#! and every time I hate Bing a little bit more than I already did.

I wish Microsoft understood the way to get people to use Bing is to make it suck less, not trick them into using it by accident by putting a %#@#$@ unavoidable button that launches it on the phone.

Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    If you play your games in Kid's Corner, Search and Back are deactivated, and you still are logged into the same XBOX live profile

I never use it and have no urge to. I just open the IE application if I want to search something.

Having a search box on your home page along with your most used applications is the best way definitely, not that anyone here would admit it though. haha
    nooooo its so useful! i get so much done on my lumia 920 cause it makes it easy to do. the iPhone.. meh
    aubreyq and fifthGear like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BokiV View Post
    I don't think i used it once...i wish it was contextual search..
    Originally, I think it was. They changed it to be a bing only search in WP7.5 I think.

Ever since they updated it such that you can scroll right and see news and deals and what not... I've used it quite a bit. Especially the deals.

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    This for me as well. I've used it once when I needed to scan a QR code, but that was the only time. When I search, I usually just end up searching through IE.

How does the music match work? I tried to use it for that cos I heard it can do it, but I couldnt figure out any way to do it so I just installed Shazam..
    The search in IE takes you to the Bing app anyway. I've got used to just hitting the search button instead, it's much faster and it works from anywhere without having to open IE.

Bing Music is one of the 3 icons at the bottom of the screen, the others being Local Scout and Bing Vision (QR + OCR). The music search has always worked perfectly for me, even when the audio volume is quite low.

Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    I really don't think that it is useless. For one it keeps me from using Google. And the convience is excellent.
    Thanked by:
    Definitely don't feel it's useless here either... I use it on a daily basis for quick lookups for conversations, and even in meetings I find it's faster to search on the phone than most of my coworkers can find it on a PC, lol.

Also, I wouldn't call it a daily use, but I frequently use the Local Scout feature if I need to look up "yellow page info" for businesses or get directions to the nearest store. Local Scout is probably one of the best hidden gems of Windows Phone.

Lastly, I haven't used Google's malware-poisoned search results in 3 years, and honestly, I don't miss it.
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq and Winfonejunkie like this.

Holy cow. I'm a ditz. I thought it was useless until this thread!

Now I have spent more than an hour mastering it! I didn't know any of this. Assumed it was just a Bing search.

New to WP. I'm starting to realize that the 920 with WP8 and a mess of Nokia apps needs very little else to function as a smart phone for me.

Phone, camera, jukebox, email, groups, scout, and these now discovered search functions....

I'm pretty much a tech savvy old geezer.

Thanks guys!
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq and GoodThings2Life like this.

I find it quiet useful. Reasons for me at least include:

Bing search
    ...slide left once = Top headlines
    ...slide left again = Top videos
    ...slide left again = In theaters
    ...slide left again = Local deals
    ...slide left again = Local news

I find the "in theaters" and "local news" to be most useful.

Now, add in Local Scout, Bing Vision, and Bing Audio = very useful.

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    i use it its not a useless thing for me

Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    I use it all the time. Definitely nit useless to me.
    Sprint (9 1/2 years) - Samsung SPH-A460, Sanyo PM-8200(S), Samsung A900 "Blade" & Samsung SPH-M620 "Upstage" simultaneously (2 lines), Samsung Instinct & Samsung Upstage simultaneously (2 lines), Palm Pre & Palm Pixi simultaneously (2 lines), HTC Evo, HTC Arrive::::Verizon (since March 2012) - iPhone 4s, HP Pre3.....[S]Looking forward to going back[/S] Finally back to Windows Phone with the HTC 8x [S](iPhone 4s as work line, HP Pre3 to play with)[/S]...now on a Nokia Lumia Icon. Love my Gen 1 Surface RT!!

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I don't think it's useless. I use it daily and it so easy to get to. I use to use Google but the reality is, they really are both good. Better integration with Windows Phone makes Bing better I think. Also, I use the QR reader often as well as the music search "integrated shazam like function". Having Xbox music pass, I hear a song on the radio, hit search button, select the music note icon, and seconds later I am downloading that song and often times the whole album.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast