Does anyone else think the search button is useless?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I love the search button. I probably use it just as much as the home button. Windows Phone is an "In and out phone" where you can quickly get information you need. If I'm in the middle of something and need to real quick need to look something up, just hit the search button!

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
In principle I like the functionality, but I find capacitive buttons annoying because of the accidental presses. It's better with my Lumia 920 than it was on my previous Android phone merely because the device is larger. But it would have been nice if those buttons required a long press to activate. That or eliminate them altogether, but the persistence and fact that they don't require on-screen real estate is admittedly a plus.

I would have liked a contextual search, but as it stands it's very useful. I use it all the time.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Not really. I like that it takes me to Bing. I've used Bing to search for places a bit lately and it's been highly reliable. So, no complaints about the search button here.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
But aren't they mandated by MS? Also how would the phone look if they weren't there? Now there's a scary thought.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Foroplex

WPhoner

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Current android devices have eliminated the setting/menu button.

I use the search button quite often. If I am on the start screen that seems to be the fastest way to start a Bing search. But I dont understand why the voice command setting is activated with the windows key. I guess I'm used to androids ling press of the search key

I have never owned an Android but it does seem to me that the windows button would be better suited to opening the search page.
...And oh, I use my search button quite a bit for everything from a web search to new places to eat around me etc.
Its not everyday mind you, but its enough that I wouldnt want to categorically "get rid of it"

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I think most people are missing the point here.
The argument isn't whether Bing or Search (as a feature) is useless - I'm sure most people will agree that Bing, with its integrated QR scanner, music search et al is quite useful.

The question is if Search is such a primary requirement that it merits its own hardware key, one that gives it instant access regardless of whichever application you're in or whatever you're doing at the moment, especially since it is not contextual.
I really cannot imagine a scenario where a user would need instant search access when say, playing a game.

In this context, the Search hardware key is, to me, pretty redundant

To be relevant, the minimum it needs is:
1. Contextual search
2. The ability to disable it when inside a game

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I use it all time, but I agree contextual search such as seen in Windows 8 will be huge improvement. In curious if Windows Blue will bring that feature.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Its very useful. Android has the same thing. Google search and their browser. Except Bing search can scan things. If it was useless it wouldn't be there. I'm missing the point of this thread. Its not like its a petition to get the button removed. Dumb thread.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Foroplex

aafa

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I use it often. for every search. even when doing the highlighting a word and then pressing the search button feature, I use that often! and its good to know the 'Name that song' feature is one button away.

nMIK-3

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Count me in as well. In fact I do not see the point for any of the physical buttons. Search is totally worthless. The rest can easily get mixed into the OS like Windows 8 and Charms menu.

Coming to Lumia 920 from a buttonless Galaxy Nexus, its definitely a step back in functionality.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I would be super disappointed if they got rid of the search button. I use it more than the back button. Its my browser button, my answer button, my shortcut for Bing services like scout, music, and vision, its my "what's going on around me" button, if I type something in the marketplace search box and nothing comes up I hit the search button and it automatically searches the internet for query I already typed. I love the search button!

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I never used the search in WP7 but I find myself using it constantly in WP8. I just with it was more advanced. I would like it to search "on this phone" like contacts, songs, apps, files, web history, etc. I also wish it would search the Marketplace as well

Ktysai

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, on my HTC 8x the search button is hit accidentally way to often. I haven't use it almost at all, but it will be very handy if I can use it to find contacts, songs, apps. A little customization will not hurt at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)