Response from BBC about 'BBC IPLAYER' for W8 & WP8, come in.....

misterRafter

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Evenings everyone,

gutted BBC Iplayer isn't still available for either platform so I decided to email BBC direct for some answers and here's the response I got:

Reference CAS-1830050-H******

Thank you for contacting the BBC iPlayer Support Team.
We understand that you would like to know if the BBC iPlayer app is available for Windows Phone 8 or Windows 8.
Unfortunately, as the Windows Phone 8 doesn't support HLS or Adobe Flash, the formats we use for streaming videos, we can't make BBC iPlayer available on this phone at the moment.
Windows 8 is supported by BBC iPlayer in desktop mode only. You can find information on the system requirements for the BBC iPlayer app on the site below:
BBC iPlayer - Help - What are the system requirements for the BBC iPlayer app?
You may wish to know that there are external message boards that discuss everything BBC iPlayer related. Details can be found at:
BBC iPlayer - Help - Messageboards for BBC iPlayer - Where can I go to discuss BBC iPlayer?
Please note that the BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.
We do appreciate the time taken to submit your enquiry as all feedback received helps us to develop and improve the service.
Once again, thank you for contacting us.
Kind Regards
David Glenday
BBC Audience Services
BBC iPlayer - iPlayer Radio Home
NB This is sent from an outgoing account only which is not monitored. You cannot reply to this email address but if necessary please contact us via our webform quoting any case number we provided.

This doesn't look good for Microsoft. Want to know what your views are on this..

thanks

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Yeah this is the answer they gave before WP8 as well. Either Apple's streaming protocol (HLS) or Flash. Neither of which is likely to happen for WP anytime soon.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Poor development in my opinion. Very short-sighted when it comes to mobile.

If they just went HTML5 they wouldn't have to support both HLS and Flash. Then as WP gains market share, they'll end up having to start on new development anyway.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Poor development in my opinion. Very short-sighted when it comes to mobile.

If they just went HTML5 they wouldn't have to support both HLS and Flash. Then as WP gains market share, they'll end up having to start on new development anyway.

I hate to say it, but unless WP gets up to 20-25% market share or higher, no one cares if they aren't reaching us and I think we've got a long wait until we see market share like that, if we ever do.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I hate to say it, but unless WP gets up to 20-25% market share or higher, no one cares if they aren't reaching us and I think we've got a long wait until we see market share like that, if we ever do.

Still, if they were using HTML5 they could work on Android and iDevices while only coding once.

Last edited:

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
It's partly MS fault as well I believe. The streaming protocol doesn't work on the browser on WP I don't think, which is why streaming via the browser isn't an option. In all honesty the loss of iPlayer isn't a major issue for me. I am however missing TVCatchup and SkyGo. They're the only 2 apps I'm really missing from my iPhone days.

FredW3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It's partly MS fault as well I believe. The streaming protocol doesn't work on the browser on WP I don't think, which is why streaming via the browser isn't an option. In all honesty the loss of iPlayer isn't a major issue for me. I am however missing TVCatchup and SkyGo. They're the only 2 apps I'm really missing from my iPhone days.

It is Adobe's fault. They are no longer working on flash. That is why WP will not get it and future releases of any other platform will not get it.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Another WeeBear spotting in the wild. I should keep a tally :wink:

Also saw that tweet earlier. It's great they managed to bring it over. Another app off the waiting list I guess.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes