Front Camera Image Being Backwards

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm guessing this is an issue for all WP8 devices, I have an 822 so if it's just specific to me, I'm sorry. but when taking pictures with the front camera, the image appears horizontally backwards before you take it. after the picture is taken, when you view it, it appears correctly.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of/has heard of a fix for this? it's not a major issue, but it would be nice to have the image displayed correctly before you take it.

thanks!

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
That's because you are used to looking at a mirror, and a camera is not a mirror. It's weird looking at a camera and not a mirror because everything is backwards so they try to correct for it, but the flipped image you review is actually how people see you. The flip the image so it makes sense.

(assuming the 822 is the same orientation is the HTC 8x, if not it looks backwards because there is no correction)

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
That's because you are used to looking at a mirror, and a camera is not a mirror. It's weird looking at a camera and not a mirror because everything is backwards so they try to correct for it, but the flipped image you review is actually how people see you. The flip the image so it makes sense.

(assuming the 822 is the same orientation is the HTC 8x, if not it looks backwards because there is no correction)

let me clarify.

before you snap the picture with the front facing camera, this is what appears on your screen:
screen.jpg

of course the picture will turn out like this:
actual picture.jpg

basically I am wondering why both the before and after images can't both look like the 2nd picture shown above? and if there is an app that someone knows of that will do that, please let me know

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
That's how all FFC's work as far as I know. The iPhone does it... I don't have an Android here to test, but I am pretty sure it would too.

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Jhguth's explanation still explains that. Just think about it for a second. You're not looking into a mirror, so the orientation is correct. When you take the snap shot, it is as if another person would see you, which it shows the correct orientation. I'm not aware of an app that does what you're asking. I do know that's the way the iPhone (4) works also, so I'm assuming other phone may work this way as well.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I think if it wasn't flipped like that, then when you would move your head to the left, it would move to the right on the screen and annoy the heck out of people trying to center their heads for pictures...

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Jhguth's explanation still explains that. Just think about it for a second. You're not looking into a mirror, so the orientation is correct. When you take the snap shot, it is as if another person would see you, which it shows the correct orientation. I'm not aware of an app that does what you're asking. I do know that's the way the iPhone (4) works also, so I'm assuming other phone may work this way as well.

my goal is for the pre-snapped orientation of image on the screen to be "correct" ("as if another person would see you") for reasons below:

I think if it wasn't flipped like that, then when you would move your head to the left, it would move to the right on the screen and annoy the heck out of people trying to center their heads for pictures...

I understand your reasoning. but I just wish there was a way to be able to choose whether or not it is like that.

It just doesn't make much sense to me for the screen to show you a backwards version of what the picture (or "as if another person would see you") would look like. while some may like the mirror effect, I want to be able to see what the picture is going to turn out like before I take it. I'd like the "correct orientation" to be what is always shown.

but that's just me.

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
To answer your original question, it's not an issue with your phone or WP8. It's just basic physics. That's they way it works. I wouldn't expect a "fix" for it because it's not an issue. And again, I'm not aware of any app that does what you're asking.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Just curious as to what the reason is? The funny thing is I've taken all kinds of FFC pictures and it was this very thread that actually made me notice that it was backwards. :)

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
To answer your original question, it's not an issue with your phone or WP8. It's just basic physics. That's they way it works. I wouldn't expect a "fix" for it because it's not an issue. And again, I'm not aware of any app that does what you're asking.

well it's an issue to me, or I wouldnt be posting about it. just give me an alternative option to reverse it to correct orientation. thats the "fix" I'd like.

while it may be "basic physics" (is it? I hated physics), it only seem like COMMON SENSE to display correctly what the end picture will look like, as cameras have done for years.

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Just curious as to what the reason is? The funny thing is I've taken all kinds of FFC pictures and it was this very thread that actually made me notice that it was backwards. :)

just looking to be able to see the picture as it will turn out in the end, before it is taken, instead of backwards

The orientation is correct and does not require a fix. It's been explained and quite clearly as well.

'nuff said.

thanks for your contribution. "backwards" does not equate to "correct" to me. but apparently I am in the minority on that

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
well it's an issue to me, or I wouldnt be posting about it. just give me an alternative option to reverse it to correct orientation. thats the "fix" I'd like.

while it may be "basic physics" (is it? I hated physics), it only seem like COMMON SENSE to display correctly what the end picture will look like, as cameras have done for years.

What you are calling "correct orientation" is NOT correct orientation. And it is common sense. It's only an issue to you because of your inability to grasp this simple concept. If it worked the way you're proposing, the orientation would not be correct, it would be inverted 180 degrees. And your "as cameras have done for years" statement is not correct either. You're comparing forward facing camera to rear facing cameras. It's wrong, plain and simple and it's been explained on why it works the way it works. Sorry if you don't get it.

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
What you are calling "correct orientation" is NOT correct orientation. And it is common sense. It's only an issue to you because of your inability to grasp this simple concept. If it worked the way you're proposing, the orientation would not be correct, it would be inverted 180 degrees. And your "as cameras have done for years" statement is not correct either. You're comparing forward facing camera to rear facing cameras. It's wrong, plain and simple and it's been explained on why it works the way it works. Sorry if you don't get it.

by "correct orientation" I am meaning the way things look in real life, as if you took it with a normal camera, NOT as is would look in a mirror. so I'm sorry if the way pictures look isnt "correct"

sorry for YOUR inability to grasp my simple observation. zzdarjwingduck did.

sorry if you dont get it. but I'm done trying to explain myself. you offer no help but bashing me for not agreeing with the way its currently set up. OBVIOUSLY I disagree with the way it is currently set up since I made a thread. I understand the concept of how it is currently working, but think that it would make sense to have an alternative option.

please dont comment back, as this conversation is not going anywhere

jaethos

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
It isn't correct though, it's mirrored, as his screen shot points out. When looking at the screen it works exactly as if you were looking at a mirror, not how someone else sees you. The reason they do this is because not having it mirrored can confuse people as something in your teeth would be hard to pick out, for example. Having an oprion to turn off the mirror effect would be nice, but I don't think the demand is really there.

One side effect of this, however, is that the Camwow lens app doesn't correct the image like the normal camera app, so any effect laden pics you take with the FFC using the app will come out mirrored.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
it only seem like COMMON SENSE to display correctly what the end picture will look like, as cameras have done for years.

But that's the thing, as far as I know, this is how these cameras have done it forever. Anyway, I'm not gonna try to talk you out of anything. It's a feature you want and that's the way it is. If we all thought the same, we'd be Apple users. :wink:

I'm still curious, though, if you have an example of a picture you would take with a FFC that you need to be able to see it "normal" before you can snap it? I mean I just use mine for taking pictures of my big fat head, and it looks pretty darn handsome before and after I take the photo!

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
But that's the thing, as far as I know, this is how these cameras have done it forever. Anyway, I'm not gonna try to talk you out of anything. It's a feature you want and that's the way it is. If we all thought the same, we'd be Apple users. :wink:

I'm still curious, though, if you have an example of a picture you would take with a FFC that you need to be able to see it "normal" before you can snap it? I mean I just use mine for taking pictures of my big fat head, and it looks pretty darn handsome before and after I take the photo!

yeah by the "cameras have done for years" thing I was just saying it would make sense (to me) for a FFC to behave like a rear camera. although I do understand the argument for using it like a mirror, I would prefer it to be otherwise.

and true, the FFC camera is mainly for your face and whatnot. I dont particularly NEED it to be different, just would prefer to see how the image is going to turn out, rather than a flipped version of it

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
yeah by the "cameras have done for years" thing I was just saying it would make sense (to me) for a FFC to behave like a rear camera. although I do understand the argument for using it like a mirror, I would prefer it to be otherwise.

and true, the FFC camera is mainly for your face and whatnot. I dont particularly NEED it to be different, just would prefer to see how the image is going to turn out, rather than a flipped version of it

Wouldn't bother me if they put in an option to reverse it... However, I have a bigger list of things that needs to be put in place first. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb