Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49
  1. michail71's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    651 Posts
       #1  
    Any reason there is no option for a screen timeout of "never"? I'd be willing to compromise by having the password be required immediately when locked or for charging only.

    It seems kind of stupid that it's not an option.
  2. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    16,847 Posts
    Global Posts
    32,216 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    #2  
    The reason why "never" is not an option is because it would kill the battery and also could result in pocket dialing. This blog post from iMore makes sense. It wouldn't only apply to the iPhone; any device would have terrible battery life if the screen never turned off.
  3. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,392 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,741 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by michail71 View Post
    Any reason there is no option for a screen timeout of "never"? I'd be willing to compromise by having the password be required immediately when locked or for charging only.

    It seems kind of stupid that it's not an option.
    Yeah, I can see having that option... or maybe a 'Keep screen on while charging.' option. It would be nice to maybe keep the screen on while I'm playing music in my car and it's plugged in charging.... Easier to change tracks... (I personally have Sync so I can use the steering wheel to change, but not everybody does...)
  4. jhguth's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    580 Posts
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    #4  
    I wish that it was on for music, too. Its one of my main complaints with this phone. Keeping your phone on is open to apps, other apps can do it, i wish that music had the option
  5. busngabb's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    116 Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    Yeah, I can see having that option... or maybe a 'Keep screen on while charging.' option. It would be nice to maybe keep the screen on while I'm playing music in my car and it's plugged in charging.... Easier to change tracks... (I personally have Sync so I can use the steering wheel to change, but not everybody does...)
    Car tunes is a great app for music in the car. It keeps the screen on and lets you change track with a swipe left or right. You can swipe up to turn random on or off and down to go to a list of artists. You can also press on an artist or album name to change from all songs to just that album or artist and a two finger tap goes back to playing the entire music collection.

    A grest little app that works far better than the default music controls.

    You say you have sync? What is that and which Windows phone do you have? I would love to be able to control the music with the steering wheel controls, but I have asked in two shops now and both said there are no systems on the market that support Windows Phone 8 as yet.
    Thanked by:
  6. michail71's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    651 Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    The reason why "never" is not an option is because it would kill the battery and also could result in pocket dialing. This blog post from iMore makes sense. It wouldn't only apply to the iPhone; any device would have terrible battery life if the screen never turned off.
    That isn't the problem you would think. It's up to the user to lock the screen when ready. I have my iPhone set that way. Then you can dock the phone and not have to worry about screen timeout.
  7. Guzzler3's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    916 Posts
    #7  
    Also it sounds like its a carrier option. I think I read that Rogers in Canada has the option of "never" for the lock screen.
    Guz

    iPhone 3G (broken)
    Blackberry 6320 (retired)
    Lumia 810 (current)
  8. 3ibs's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by michail71 View Post
    That isn't the problem you would think. It's up to the user to lock the screen when ready. I have my iPhone set that way. Then you can dock the phone and not have to worry about screen timeout.
    Exactly. We should have the option to choose.
  9. michail71's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    651 Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Guzzler3 View Post
    Also it sounds like its a carrier option. I think I read that Rogers in Canada has the option of "never" for the lock screen.
    Oh no. If it's under AT&T's control there is no hope.
  10. glimited's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    82 Posts
    #10  
    Definitely need the option to set it to "never." I like to use my phone as a media player in my car (while charging) and having to unlock it every 5 minutes of inactivity is a bit annoying. The claim that the "never" option isn't there because it's a battery hog is ridiculous; might as well not not have an option to set screen brightness to high cause that's a battery hog too. We should have the option of setting it how we want it. And pocket dialing is user error. If you don't lock your phone before putting it in your pocket, that's the user's fault really.

    It's kind of a let down not having the little things like this, rotation lock, separate volume controls, etc. Previous iOS users may have taken these things for granted since it seemed so basic after using it for so long and it's kind of annoying not having these "standard" features. It's a shame the Portico update didn't do anything about these "features" but hopefully they're working on it. I still love the phone and work around these issues for now.
  11. D0gsballs's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    244 Posts
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    #11  
    There is the option. Surely this can't be a carrier lock? I have an unlocked UK yellow Lumia 920.
  12. rdjward's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    #12  
    Yes it's true, on my Rogers phone I am able to select "Never", for screen timeout. It seems to be a carrier thing.
  13. MikeInBA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    74 Posts
    #13  
    It needs to have a "never" standard because devs are having to implement "Prevent Screen from timing out" options if their app doesnt require interaction for it to be used. This was a terrible experience at the gym jumping rope and every 5 minutes i would have to go touch my screen so i could keep an eye my sets timer.
  14. AndrewakaMJ's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeInBA View Post
    It needs to have a "never" standard because devs are having to implement "Prevent Screen from timing out" options if their app doesnt require interaction for it to be used. This was a terrible experience at the gym jumping rope and every 5 minutes i would have to go touch my screen so i could keep an eye my sets timer.
    But IMO I would rather the devs have to implement it on the few apps that would need it rather than me have to go into my settings and change it when I'm using those apps.
  15. michail71's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    651 Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewakaMJ View Post
    But IMO I would rather the devs have to implement it on the few apps that would need it rather than me have to go into my settings and change it when I'm using those apps.
    Both should really be there. However, if you set the never option you develop the habit of locking when ready. It's not an option you turn back off. It wasn't a problem for me on my previous phone. When I first set my iPhone that way I was worried at first.

    I do find devs in the WP community to be rather responsive to ideas and requests. Unfortunately, the apps I want to have this functionality on tend to be from the larger companies like MS and Nokia. We're less likely to influence any design changes with them.

    People have been asking Rhapsody to do this for their app for years but they never do.
  16. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,392 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,741 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by busngabb View Post
    You say you have sync? What is that and which Windows phone do you have? I would love to be able to control the music with the steering wheel controls, but I have asked in two shops now and both said there are no systems on the market that support Windows Phone 8 as yet.

    I was talking about Ford Sync. Normally I just have my ZuneHD plugged into it via USB and I can use voice commands to play songs, like 'Play track [whatever]' or 'Play album [whatever]'

    I have not actually plugged my phone into the USB port yet.. I should try that. But I do pair it via bluetooth and I can use my steering wheel to change tracks as well as use the voice activation to call contacts on my phone. It's a first generation Sync.. so many years old.
  17. #17  
    I believe this isn't carrier dependent, but brand dependent.

    From what I read, it seems like Nokia phones might have this option and HTC phones don't. It wouldn't surprise me if this option is a Nokia custom.

    Let us know if you have info that proves this theory wrong.
  18. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,392 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,741 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Carpenter View Post
    I believe this isn't carrier dependent, but brand dependent.

    From what I read, it seems like Nokia phones might have this option and HTC phones don't. It wouldn't surprise me if this option is a Nokia custom.

    Let us know if you have info that proves this theory wrong.
    My 822 only has 30 seconds and 1, 3 and 5 minutes.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    My 822 only has 30 seconds and 1, 3 and 5 minutes.
    That didn't take long to prove wrong. Thanks for the great info.
  20. UK WP8 User's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    #20  
    Definitely want screen to stay on when charging, then when it is on the charging stand I can leave any app running - Bloomberg ticker for example.
  21. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,817 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,473 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Carpenter View Post
    That didn't take long to prove wrong. Thanks for the great info.
    I now get to prove it further wrong. My HTC TITAN has the "Never" option.

    "Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
  22. glimited's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    82 Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by busngabb View Post
    Car tunes is a great app for music in the car. It keeps the screen on and lets you change track with a swipe left or right. You can swipe up to turn random on or off and down to go to a list of artists. You can also press on an artist or album name to change from all songs to just that album or artist and a two finger tap goes back to playing the entire music collection.
    Thanks for the Cartunes suggestion. I was looking for app like this to replace my Fluxtunes on iOS. No customization but still works great.
  23. prometheusdc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    #23  
    This is a stupid and debilitating limitation. When I'm sitting at my desk listening to my music, plugged in, I shouldn't have to keep turning the stupid screen on. Ridiculous.

    What about GPS? It's incredibly dangerous to have to keep turning on the phone just to use the stupid Nokia maps.

    Of all the challenges of switching from the iPhone, this lock screen problem might actually be a dealbreaker.

    Kory...

    Nokia Lumia 920
  24. michail71's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    651 Posts
       #24  
    One way I partially get around this is to set the password time to 15 or 30 minutes. However, this is a bit of a security issue IMHO. I'd rather choose when to lock and then have the password be required right away.
  25. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,392 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,741 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheusdc View Post
    What about GPS? It's incredibly dangerous to have to keep turning on the phone just to use the stupid Nokia maps.
    Screen stays on when navigating.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. screen-timeout
    By boneshop in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-28-2012, 05:19 AM
  2. Lock screen timeout
    By Andy M in forum Nokia Lumia 820
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-16-2012, 12:27 AM
  3. Screen sleep timeout
    By Jeff Kibuule in forum Developers Corner
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-29-2012, 09:05 AM
  4. Quote: Windows Phone is Superior; Why Hasnt it Taken Off?
    By madhouse1616 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 207
    Last Post: 01-09-2012, 04:27 PM

Posting Permissions