The new autocorrect system in Windows Phone 8 - adds mistakes, corrects non-mistakes

ffMathy

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
In Denmark (speaking Danish), we have some quite interesting word rules. Here, two words can be combined, almost no matter what the words are, in some scenarios. For instance, "taxi driver officer" must be concatenated into "taxidriverofficer", since it is understood as one object as a whole. In other words, "taxi driver officer" would actually have been wrong, even though those 3 words are correct by themselves.

Now, let's move on to my point. In Windows Phone 7, the autocorrect system for Denmark was perfect. Now, it actually adds mistakes, and corrects non-mistakes as I type. It makes me look like a ****** when texting someone.

Here's just a few examples of false positives that are corrected (although, due to the nature of the Danish word system there are at least a few hundred).

• Julegaver (meaning "christmas presents") becomes "jule gaver", which is wrong.
  • Yderd?ren (meaning "the outer door") becomes "yder d?ren", which is wrong.
I'll keep this post updated as I detect more occurences. I know it's kind of weird I complain when I only have one example above, but it happens regularly (5 times a day or so). I just can't find any examples of it at the moment.

Are any other Danish users having this problem?

Last edited:

Al_2

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think you can turn the autocorrect off...

If you go to Settings > Keyboard > Danish (I think, I'm on English!)

Then there should be a tick box for "Correct misspelt words".

I know it doesn't fix the problem, but it might help for now!

ffMathy

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I think you can turn the autocorrect off...

If you go to Settings > Keyboard > Danish (I think, I'm on English!)

Then there should be a tick box for "Correct misspelt words".

I know it doesn't fix the problem, but it might help for now!

Nobody can live without autocorrect. It's a good feature. It was just better in Windows Phone 7, because there there were no false positives.

UnfixedPyle

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
When it detects a "misspelled" word, one of the options that should pop up above the keyboard is the word you have typed and a +, so in your example it should say "+Julegaver" Just tap that and it will be added to the phones dictionary and not ever be autocorrected again. Hope that helps

ffMathy

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
When it detects a "misspelled" word, one of the options that should pop up above the keyboard is the word you have typed and a +, so in your example it should say "+Julegaver" Just tap that and it will be added to the phones dictionary and not ever be autocorrected again. Hope that helps

The thing is that it's not a new word that's the problem. I write "Julegaver" and it corrects it into 2 words, which it is not ("jule gaver"). This makes it impossible to "add" the proper word. It's also tedious to do it with all the words, when there are like thousands of them.

ivirsnezbit

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
There may be a lot of them, but it take 2 second to punch between the two words, delete the space , then tap the word and it will show up in the bar with a + sign. I have probably done it 10 time in the month I have had the phone and with that my auto correct has become better than any phone I have ever owned. This is just my opinion, but it is nice to have a way to add words without having to go into a settings menu and manually ad them.

ffMathy

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
There may be a lot of them, but it take 2 second to punch between the two words, delete the space , then tap the word and it will show up in the bar with a + sign. I have probably done it 10 time in the month I have had the phone and with that my auto correct has become better than any phone I have ever owned. This is just my opinion, but it is nice to have a way to add words without having to go into a settings menu and manually ad them.

I just don't understand how you can take a system that worked just fine (read: it worked in Windows Phone 7!) and break it deliberately.

sarnzzle

May 7, 2013
Visit site
What I've found works is the following:
1. type the word you want
2. if it autocorrects to something else, press space to accept the first (wrong) auto-correct
3. immediately afterwards, press the backspace key once, and the old word will show up
4. select the old word
5. select the corrected word again by tapping on it
6. tap the word with the + sign in front of it and it will add it to the dictionary

Hope that works for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa